Old 07-11-2020, 02:41 PM   #1
mikeroephonics
Human being with feelings

Default Best 27-28" Video Monitors in 2020?

Update: I ended up purchasing a ViewSonic VP2768-4K monitor.

Hi. I'm searching for recommendations on video monitors between 27 and 28 inches. Space is limited, as it needs to sit between my left speaker and right video monitor. I heard IPS (in-plane switching) display panels are the overall best, having wide viewing angles and good colors. I make REAPER color themes, so having correct colors is important for that alone. I want to get an LED monitor. Backlit LCDs just don't illuminate nicely in my experience.

Is Viewsonic still good? I haven't used them since their CRTs and their colors looked nice for the time. Selections are limited locally so I can't demo much of anything, unfortunately.

Thanks!

Last edited by mikeroephonics; 07-26-2020 at 11:12 AM.
mikeroephonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:30 PM   #2
ivansc

I have been using a pair of 23" LG IPS panel monitors for years & still get on great with them. Surprisingly the same style/type/spec monitor is actually more expensive now than when I bought them. But yes, my vote is for IPS.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:00 AM   #3
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
Hi. I'm searching for recommendations .. colors is important for that alone. I want to get an LED monitor. Backlit LCDs just don't illuminate nicely in my experience.

Thanks!
IPS remains the best technology for your requirements as OLED isn't available in consumer computer displays.
Regarding LG panels if you buy a another brand such as Dell Ultrasharp you will often also be getting an LG panel inside those displays
There are different grades of LG IPS panel. The entry level economy models are still pretty good. The more expensive panels give even better colour accuracy and viewing angles as you would imagine.
I've got Dell Ultrasharp and LG screens here. A Panasonic TV here is also IPS.

If you really want to know what you are getting in the video displays have a look at website TFT Central.

All LCD monitors require a back light system as LCD is not a self emissive technology. That is to say they produce no light themselves, they merely twist a pixels in front of a light source to show specific colours.
All the LCD panels are LED backlit these days, to the best of my knowledge. The cathode tubes are long gone.

OLED and Plasma displays are the self emissive technologies with self lit pixels.

The early marketing of LED backlit displays gave many people the impression it was a totally new display technology, consumers often didn't even realise it was just a change of the back light system on LCD panels.

Last edited by Softsynth; 07-15-2020 at 01:08 AM.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:13 PM   #4
mikeroephonics

I'm looking at this one. 4K, IPS, LED backlit:
https://deals.dell.com/en-us/work/productdetail/4vln
Old 07-15-2020, 11:43 PM   #5
Softsynth

Okay a fairly small 4k panel (I know there's a few smaller), so very high dpi. That opens a different can of worms. Whether you are happy with a limited number of themes, how or if your plugins scale, how or if your GPU can drive 4x as much detail as 1080p. Whether you want that much detail on a modest size panel, or if you are in love with high DPI smoothness of image with the latest software, or your photos. If OTOH you want to continue to use lots of old plugins or you have an old graphics card that will struggle showing video at 4k..

As a Dell Ultrasharp you would be getting a good panel.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:44 PM   #6
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
That opens a different can of worms. Whether you are happy with a limited number of themes, how or if your plugins scale, how or if your GPU can drive 4x as much detail as 1080p.
Thanks for bringing up this issue. I saw this discussed a few years ago on the forum but couldn't find it via the search tools. Can't I just change the monitor's resolution if I need to use it for REAPER to make plug-ins and color themes scale correctly? Or is there an inherent limitation with using a 4K monitor no matter what resolution I run the monitor at (interpolation/aliasing)?

Quote:
Whether you want that much detail on a modest size panel, or if you are in love with high DPI smoothness of image with the latest software, or your photos. If OTOH you want to continue to use lots of old plugins or you have an old graphics card that will struggle showing video at 4k..
My video card is super basic. It doesn't even have a fan, since I like to minimize noise in my room. I may need to get another video card to keep up with a 4K monitor. I'll have to check.

I'm running Win 7 64-bit with an Asus P8P67 mainboard from 2012ish. Here are its ports and options:
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black) *1
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
3 x PCI
Supports AMD Quad-GPU CrossFireX™ Technology

Quote:
As a Dell Ultrasharp you would be getting a good panel.
I made a short list of some monitors awarded here:
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/awards.htm

My short list is organized by price, lowest first. The refresh rate of the bottom 2 entries are much higher than the earlier ones.

BENQ GW2780 (not in the above list)
SIZE: 27"
PANEL TECH: IPS
BACKLIGHT: LED
RES: 1080P
PIXEL PITCH: 0.311mm
REFRESH: 60Hz
RESPONSE: 5ms
INTERFACES: HDMI / VGA / DP
PRICE (EST.): $180

=====================================

DELL U2719D

PANEL TECH: SAMSUNG PLS (IPS-TYPE)
BACKLIGHT: W-LED
RES: 2560X1440
PIXEL PITCH: 0.233mm
RESPONSE: 5-8ms
INTERFACES: HDMI / DP 1.4
PRICE (EST.): $370

VIEWSONIC VP2768
SIZE: 27"WS
PANEL TECH: IPS
PIXEL PITCH: 0.2331mm
RESPONSE: 14ms
INTERFACES: HDMI 1.4 / DP / MINI DP
PRICE (EST.): $380

LG 27GL850
PANEL TECH: NANO IPS
BACKLIGHT: LED
PIXEL PITCH: 0.2331mm
REFRESH: 48-144Hz
RESPONSE: 1ms
INTERFACES: HDMI 2.0 / DP
PRICE (EST.): $500

VIEWSONIC ELITE XG270QG

PANEL TECH: NANO IPS
PIXEL PITCH: 0.233mm
REFRESH: 30-165Hz
RESPONSE: 1ms
INTERFACES: HDMI 1.4 / DP 1.2
PRICE (EST.): $600
Old 07-19-2020, 01:21 AM   #7
Softsynth

I believe modern upscaling of 1080p to 4k will be satisfactory in terms of image quality (I imagine most new TVs that's all they will end up doing) but something of a waste as 4k computer panels cost more.

I wouldn't want to pay any extra for features like 144hz, unless you are a seriously hardcore fast twitch response online first person video gamer. It is of no benefit at all to Reaper at all, and no benefit with video or photographs, only video gaming. 60hz will suffice. Ditto for 1ms response panels - this is a hardcore videogaming feature.

Keeping your existing motherboard ideally you'll want to use the 2nd PCI-E port down your list.
I imagine that the best passively cooled GPUs can handle 4k video reasonably well and not have problem with any 2d GPU stuff today - provided you don't want to also run the latest demanding video games at highest settings. I haven't looked into graphics cards in some years.

Since I presume you won't be gaming on the same PC the card need not be highly expensive. You should find plenty of graphics cards that handle 4k well today. Read some reviews, make sure they don't splutter at 4k video playback.

A 27" 16:9 1080p will have really big pixels, any old VSTs will look fine, no need to consider scaling most of the time. The display will look primitive next to very high resolution displays with perfectly scaled GUIs and plugins designed for high DPI. We are at a sort of technical crossroads at the moment where we have to choose our compromises.

Some cards will technically speaking display a 4k image, but will have a tough time when asked to play back 4k video or run a videogame for instance (8k will be a thing soon, it already is at the ultra high end).
4k is essentially the same as asking your graphics card to handle four 1080x1920 displays at once (think plugins being 1/4th of the size of equivalent 1080p) You can tell the monitor to downscale to 1080p which it should do well, but native resolutions are always where flat screen technology works best - and what a waste of funds to pay for extra resolution you cannot utilise.

Alternatively a 21:9 1080x2560 screen gets you a third extra screen real estate for relatively little GPU and CPU hit. I bought two.

Those 1440x2560 panels buys you a little extra height over the 21:9 1080 panels.
I have a 1440p and tried Reaper on it. I preferred using the two displays with mixer on smaller screen; I'm not suggesting you buy two panels, just the way it worked out here, as I already had a 21:9 screen to upgrade from and decided to use both.

If I run video it will be 1080p, single screen. If I swapped to 4k (or ultrawide equivalent) I would want a more powerful GPU and personally right now I would go at least 37" to avoid tiny pixels meaning tiny VSTs that don't scale.
Another thing to consider streaming 4k is a tough call for some internet connections, and will gobble data allowance, if you have a limit.

I wouldn't spend big money on a 1440p panel now, as outgoing technology.
It could still be a good panel for many years though.

I suggest you won't want to swap between resolutions but stick to native resolution.

Personally I would avoid standard 1080x1920p (no premium panels available down at that resolution today anyway) I like the extra 1/3rd screen real estate of 21:9 1080x2560 for spreading out VST plugins. It's not a massive difference.

However if you didn't care about the extra resolution plenty of decent 1080 panels out there for little money. Two IPS 1080x1920 screens can be picked up for less than the price of one decent 2560x1440p panel, if you shop around.

If sticking to one panel and not considering putting the mixer on separate screen a 1440p panel will be a decent compromise for older VSTs.

Maybe in 5yrs time this conversation will look old, and nearly all plugins will scale beautifully, who knows!
You can relegate whatever panel you buy to mixer duties.

Most plugins I use today already have some scaling (not the same thing as being designed for high DPI though), but there are some unfortunate exceptions and I wouldn't want to go any smaller dots per inch even at 29" with 2560x1080p, this is why I went from a 25" 21:9 to 29" and now the 25" is mainly just a mixer screen, YMMV.

I could happily use just the one panel. For that 1440x2560p is an easy recommendation for most users not looking to tax an an card or make old plugins look ridiculously small. just get a 60hz panel, 1ms and 144hz are expensive gaming features.

Last edited by Softsynth; 07-19-2020 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:23 AM   #8
mikeroephonics

Thanks for all the help, Softsynth! It really does come down to compromises, but one big concern is getting correct colors, so I've narrowed my search down to this monitor:
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews...nic_vp2768.htm
It's 16:9, IPS, LED, 2560 x 1440 (2K), 60Hz, 14ms.

The reviews are very positive overall, and they say the colors look great. You can calibrate the monitor with an external calibration tool. I need that color accuracy for when I'm making REAPER color themes and need to know the colors are correct. Otherwise, it's just like bad mix translations from the studio to the car, but instead it's the DAW monitor to laptop monitor to check colors.

For a fanless video card, which supports Windows 7 (I saw an unboxing showing the back of the box stating Windows 7/10 support) I'm going with this:
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/Ge...2GH-LP-OC.html
It has HDMI 2.0b & DisplayPort (Version 1.4).

I don't play any modern games on the PC, especially not anything graphically intensive. This card is quite impressive for what it can do without a fan!

Important note on this video card: There are variations of this card which use VDDR4 RAM, not VDDR5 RAM found in the one I linked. The reviews I watched indicated that a lot of users were confused over these differences, so make sure you know exactly which one you're buying if you go this route.

Last edited by mikeroephonics; 07-19-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:10 AM   #9
Softsynth

Looks like a fine combo, and an excellent screen for confident colour matching.
TFT reviews seem to be the best out there and it passed with flying (accurate) calibrated colours, even being capable of decent occasional gaming performance. Back in the day I would rather have colour accuracy over silly fast refresh rate even for the odd game. Washed out and wrongly glowing colours with fake crushed blacks married to blushing red push red faces looks awful to me. I will notice dodgy colours long before the odd bit of noticeable pixel smear.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:33 PM   #10
EpicSounds

I recently bought 2x of the DELL U2719D. Running these with display port connection and RX570 video card.

Really nice monitors.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:49 PM   #11
Sibben

Quote:
The reviews are very positive overall, and they say the colors look great. You can calibrate the monitor with an external calibration tool. I need that color accuracy for when I'm making REAPER color themes and need to know the colors are correct. Otherwise, it's just like bad mix translations from the studio to the car, but instead it's the DAW monitor to laptop monitor to check colors.
ViewSonic makes great panels for professionals like photographers, graphical designers etc. Often the color reproduction is very wide showing colors that regular monitors won’t and they have better reproduction of black colors and other things that are important in those fields. You really don’t need that for making REAPER themes. Any decent monitor that gets some good reviews for color reproduction will do. Odds are it will have a decent sRGB profile and that should sort you out.

The calibration thing is also total overkill. It’s important for working with photos and print mostly. I have a properly calibrated profile but I only use it sometimes for editing photos but I would not use it for interface work. Professional displays and studio monitors are not equal in that sense. It would rather be like mixing on some sweet audiophile speakers with silky highs and super tight low end. That mix won’t translate well. You want something that’s closer to what regular users have. And make sure it’s setup correctly. Check this: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Update. That is actually a decently priced screen with good color. I assumed it was one of ViewSonics super expensive ultra pro panels. What I said still holds true though.

Last edited by Sibben; 07-19-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Sibben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:25 AM   #12
mikeroephonics

I ended up buying the ViewSonic VP2768-4K monitor and the MSI GeForce graphics card, both mentioned above. They'll both arrive Saturday. I read and watched a bunch of reviews and everyone says the monitor looks great and that the colors really stand out. I was only able to find a new one through Amazon. Everyone else is on back-order.

The Dell Ultrasharp monitors would have been my second option. I went with ViewSonic mainly because I remember their CRTs having great colors, and the positive reviews on the one I ordered.

Thanks to everyone for the information! I had a lot of catching up to do on monitors and video formats over the last week!
Old 07-20-2020, 08:35 AM   #13
Sibben

Quote:
I ended up buying the ViewSonic VP2768-4K monitor and the MSI GeForce graphics card
You’ll probably be happy with it. I bet it’s a great monitor. I had a ViewSonic years ago and it was fabulous.

A tip that you might already be aware of...switch between different profiles from time to time and set your contrast/brightness to extreme values. That way you can make sure your theme also works for people with incorrect or bad setups. A bit like reference listening on different setups. And the squint test. Take a few steps back and squint. That gives you a notion of readability. If you have Photoshop you can also use their special filters to see how people with color deficiencies see your stuff. Cheers.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:56 AM   #14
Softsynth

Mike,
Let us know how you get on.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:00 AM   #15
mikeroephonics

I got the VP2768-4K in yesterday and calibrated it to my tastes earlier this morning. I really like it! I'm running it at 1920x1080, so everything scales perfectly. Colors are really nice but I found I had to boost the saturation about +10 to get it where I like it.

A few thoughts:
- The screen has a "smooth" look which is hard to describe, but is the result of it being a 27" 4K monitor, with very tightly packed pixels. It's similar to how smooth a look newer smartphone screens have. I have near 20/20 vision and can't see the gap between pixels with the naked eye, because my eye refocuses when I get very close to the screen. This refocus happens at a distance larger than the pixel gap visibility.

- It can get really bright, so you can back it off in most cases.

- Some of the basic OSD controls can be handles via software, and control the monitor via USB. Saturation is not one of these controls.

- Presets can be saved, but must be done directly from the monitor's OSD, not the software version. Recall can also be done from the monitor's OSD.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:24 AM   #16
Softsynth

Quote:
I got the VP2768-4K in yesterday and calibrated it to my tastes earlier this morning. I really like it! I'm running it at 1920x1080, so everything scales perfectly. Colors are really nice but I found I had to boost the saturation about +10 to get it where I like it.

A few thoughts:
- The screen has a "smooth" look which is hard to describe, but is the result of it being a 27" 4K monitor, with very tightly packed pixels. It's similar to how smooth a look newer smartphone screens have. I have near 20/20 vision and can't see the gap between pixels with the naked eye, because my eye refocuses when I get very close to the screen. This refocus happens at a distance larger than the pixel gap visibility.

- It can get really bright, so you can back it off in most cases.

- Some of the basic OSD controls can be handles via software, and control the monitor via USB. Saturation is not one of these controls.

- Presets can be saved, but must be done directly from the monitor's OSD, not the software version. Recall can also be done from the monitor's OSD.
There may be plenty of reasons why 1080p content looks better than on your old screen, but if you view everything at 1080p then you don't get any benefits from the higher pixel count. Why not run it in native resolution?

1080p mode will just use a block of 4 pixels to represent one, that's not going to give you the super smooth high dpi look, or even improve 1080p content at all.
The resolution of a 4k screen is literally double 1080p height by double 1920 width. What you are viewing in 1080p cannot give you an advantage over standard per pixel mapping. The best it can be is as good, or nearly as good.

Typically most monitors I have found perform better at 25-35% brightness.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:17 AM   #17
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Why not run it in native resolution?
Everything is way too tiny if I run it at its native 4K resolution.

Quote:
1080p mode will just use a block of 4 pixels to represent one, that's not going to give you the super smooth high dpi look, or even improve 1080p content at all.
What I mean by it looking smooth is due to the compactness of the pixels. Since they're so densely packed, I can't see the gaps between them like on my older LG monitor running at much less resolution.

Quote:
Typically most monitors I have found perform better at 25-35% brightness.
I've got the brightness set to around 75%. I also can't stand bright GUIs, so I use dark backgrounds wherever possible.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:04 AM   #18
Softsynth

Quote:
I've got the brightness set to around 75%. I also can't stand bright GUIs, so I use dark backgrounds wherever possible.
No wonder you cannot stand bright GUIs!

Try 30% brightness, unless it is a particularly dull panel out the box. I use dark themes and the monitors at about 30% brightness on Ultrasharp and LG screens, and other brands.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:36 AM   #19
mikeroephonics

Quote:
No wonder you cannot stand bright GUIs!

Try 30% brightness, unless it is a particularly dull panel out the box. I use dark themes and the monitors at about 30% brightness on Ultrasharp and LG screens, and other brands.
30% is way too dark. It really just comes down to the problem of software GUIs using bright backgrounds as though they're sheets of paper. They're not. Paper doesn't self-illuminate, LEDs do.

If I use dark backgrounds in text editors, web sites and REAPER, everything looks great and my eyes don't get fatigued, even when setting my monitor's brightness to a high value.

=================================

Anyway, I'm VERY happy with the Viewsonic's colors and overall detail after a few days of calibrating and watching some 4K videos with it set to its native resolution of 3840 x 2160.

This one is particularly impressive:
Dolby Atmos Test video Kingdom Of Colours 4k ULTRA HDR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHw7eMHb4cw

=================================

I'm going to buy another VP2768-4K, so now I'm looking at dual monitor mounts which are VESA-compatible (100x100 mm). Does anyone here have a dual monitor mount in their setup? I'd like to find one which can orient each monitor independently in portrait or landscape mode, and also stack one monitor on top of the other.

Last edited by mikeroephonics; 07-26-2020 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #20
Softsynth

Without checking out specs it sounds as though the basic brightness is likely to be lower than the LGs which much like TVs are far too bright out the box. Dell Ultrasharp being much the same - going for that brightest Xmas tree in the shop effect.

Cannot help you on the mounts, just got mine loose, not even sat at same height currently.
Do you have enough graphics muscle for two 4k displays?
Old 07-26-2020, 11:07 AM   #21
mikeroephonics

I'm trying to find a user confirming dual 4K output on my video card, but haven't been able to find any definitive examples.

The specs sheet shows the following:
Maximum Digital Resolution: 7680x4320@60Hz
Multi Monitor: Yes
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/des...specifications

The video card has exactly two outputs:
- DisplayPort v1.4
- HDMI v2.0b

I just finished testing both displays at 4K on my machine. They can both play back 4K 60fps content from YouTube. I noticed that if I have both DisplayPort and HDMI cables connected and select only one of the inputs from my monitor, at 4K, my open windows were placed on the "left", offscreen. I was able to move my mouse cursor beyond the left of the physical monitor and had to move the mouse right to bring the mouse cursor back onto the screen. When I disconnected the DisplayPort cable, it switched over to HDMI and continued to display it at 4K resolution.

Does that indicate that it can render 4K on 2 monitors simultaneously, like its specifications above seem to imply? Does it split the spec sheet's reported maximum resolution of 7680x4320@60Hz across 2 screens?

My mainboard specs, from its manual:
Expansion slots
1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot [blue] (single at x16) < Card location
1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot* [black] (max. at x4 mode,
compatible with PCIe x1 and x4 devices)
2 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 slots
3 x PCI slots
* The PCIe x16_2 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIe x1_1 slot, PCIe x1_2 slot and USB3_34 connector. The PCIe x16_2 slot runs at x1 mode by default for system resource optimization.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:56 AM   #22
Softsynth

Display port will be okay and Hdmi 2 can handle 4k 60hz. So it looks like you probably should be fine for the 2d stuff.
Of course if you have a 4k TV to hand you could test this.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:30 AM   #23
mikeroephonics

Here are the dual monitor arm candidates I have so far. I'm trying to find out if any of them can position two of my 27" displays on top of one-another in landscape mode. The $129.95 model on the 2nd B&H link does not, according to one of the reviews.

$39.95:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$99.99:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...t.html/reviews

$116.99:
https://mount-it.com/products/mount-...g-arms-mi-1772

$129.95:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/overview

$129.99:
https://mount-it.com/collections/mon...specifications

$131.99:
https://www.staples.com/Mount-It-Dua...oduct_24056243

$195.00:
https://www.vari.com/dual-monitor-ar...7wRRAiHB1_NViI
Old 07-27-2020, 08:34 AM   #24
karbomusic

If you want over/under landscape w/27" I bought this but I used for a year then took it down because I got tired of looking up all the time FWIW - that said it worked perfectly fine for what it was designed for.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MTWCO1U
Old 07-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #25
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
If you want over/under landscape w/27" I bought this but I used for a year then took it down because I got tired of looking up all the time FWIW - that said it worked perfectly fine for what it was designed for.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MTWCO1U
Thanks. I looked at those types but I want one where each arm can move independently of the other, for different applications (mainly DAW work and Gimp/photo editing.) I'll call the manufacturers today to see if they know.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:30 PM   #26
ivansc

FWIW I had three monitors at one time. the 2 23" ones side by side and a 24" above them. I gave up on it because of all the strain it put on my neck muscles.. Just saying.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:54 PM   #27
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
FWIW I had three monitors at one time. the 2 23" ones side by side and a 24" above them. I gave up on it because of all the strain it put on my neck muscles.. Just saying.
Yeah, I'm very careful about ergonomics. I ended up getting this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l_monitor.html

I also ordered another ViewSonic VP2768-4K. I should have both the mount and monitor by the weekend. I'll report back on this dual monitor mount. The reviews look good and I think I can stack them one on top of the other. It's not a deal-breaker if I can't.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:02 PM   #28
karbomusic

Quote:
Thanks. I looked at those types but I want one where each arm can move independently of the other, for different applications (mainly DAW work and Gimp/photo editing.) I'll call the manufacturers today to see if they know.
Gotcha, I was dying for over/under for a long time, mostly to get the monitors out of the way of my audio monitors (2 27" is really wide), but like Ivan, it became a constant strain on my neck. I don't have neck problems, it was literally just having to look up so much.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:08 PM   #29
mikeroephonics

We've all seen studios where they have a video monitor high on the wall, behind the mixer. There is no way that is comfortable after long hours.

For my Samsung TV, which is now a backup monitor for the DAW, once the other ViewSonic monitor arrives, I ended up buying a small table to rest it on. I sawed off about 4 inches on the table's feet just to get it to where I can face forward comfortably and not have to look up or down. It might not seem like much, but after hours a day, for weeks, months and years, it absolutely has an effect.

I also use these wrist rests for using my mouse:
https://www.staples.com/IMAK-ergoBea...RoCapYQAvD_BwE

Some of the best $12 you can buy. Way cheaper than wrist surgery or physical therapy!
Old 07-27-2020, 11:36 PM   #30
Softsynth

Then there's this type of mouse:
https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/produ...rgonomic-mouse

I had been tempted to mount the smaller secondary monitor vertically above the main monitor but I already considered the possible neck strain. It would be tidier though, and the main monitor can slide up and down, but I wouldn't want to compromise the viewing angle of the main screen either.

Last edited by Softsynth; 07-27-2020 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:01 AM   #31
ivansc

I have the left-handed version of a similar mouse from CSL. I switch between it, a small tablet & a conventional logitech mini mouse.
Really helps with my hand arthritis.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:08 AM   #32
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I have the left-handed version of a similar mouse from CSL. I switch between it, a small tablet & a conventional logitech mini mouse.
Really helps with my hand arthritis.
Maybe one of these would help you too?:
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/micr...d%20group%20#1
Old 07-28-2020, 02:52 AM   #33
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Maybe one of these would help you too?:
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/micr...d%20group%20#1
I've got the v1.0 of that keyboard. I've had it since 2007 or so. I really like it.
https://www.microsoft.com/accessorie...4000/b2m-00012
Old 08-01-2020, 12:42 AM   #34
ivansc

I don`t type enough to be worth spending the money, but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:28 PM   #35
mikeroephonics

I got both monitors mounted onto the Kanto DM2000 dual monitor mount and it works great! It has a strong metal base and it's rather difficult to move the joints, which is good, because I don't want anything to move unless I'm really going for it.

I'm not able to stack these monitors vertically using a flat desk... at least not an angle which is conducive to a proper viewing angle. The ViewSonic VP2768-4K dimensions are 24.1" x 13.9" x 2.0" (613.0mm x 353.4mm x 50.3mm.) This wasn't a deal breaker for me, but keep it in mind if you're looking into this configuration with monitors of similar sizes.

I'm able to get dual 4K resolution (3840 x 2160) on the monitors using my new GeForce GT 1030 2GH LP OC. Remember what I said earlier about this card. This exact model uses 2GB of GDDR5; an earlier model uses slower memory, which people have complained about quite a bit.

The monitors are running great. The colors are excellent and everything is super sharp. No bad pixels at all using this test site: http://lcdtech.info/en/tests/dead.pixel.htm

If I encounter any problems with this setup, I'll report back here. Thanks again for everyone's help!