Old 03-15-2020, 04:32 PM   #1
RobVinc77
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper vs X-Touch One

good evening to all I write from Italy and apologize in advance if I have bad English. I have already asked this question to the Italian forum but the moderators have advised me to write here because among you there may be someone who programs Reaper, I explain. I would like to understand if the answer I received from Berhinger technical support regarding an anomaly that I raised between the software and X Touch One is founded.

It makes me strange to think that I have not found references on the net.

In practice, after each session end and closing of the software, the controller remains "configured" on the last track controlled, on the contrary it does not "normalize", I intend to lower the motorized fader and turn off the display as happens for example with Logic.

The response from Behringer technical support was this: it is the software (Reaper) that does not send the closing command to the controller, therefore the problem cannot be attributed to the "machine".
thanks in advance for those who can answer.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:06 PM   #2
mschnell

Such issues are discussed in the dedicated "Control Surfaces" subforum.
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:26 PM   #3
RobVinc77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Such issues are discussed in the dedicated "Control Surfaces" subforum.
-Michael
I was convinced that I sent it in that sub-folder, I hope the moderators will do it, sorry I didn't notice.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:07 PM   #4
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobVinc77 View Post
I was convinced that I sent it in that sub-folder, I hope the moderators will do it, sorry I didn't notice.
I use the X-Touch One in Reaper with the third-party CSI Reaper plugin and it works as you describe. CSI stands for Control Surface Integrator and it allows you to combine and configure combinations of MIDI, OSC, MCU, and EuCon surfaces within Reaper. It's still in early beta, and requires a bit of setup, but it works very well with the X-Touch One over here. You may have to configure your X-Touch One a little differently, for example I'm using the MCU Std mode instead of the Reaper mode, but you can then customize the X-Touch One's buttons and actions however you'd like.

Anyway, feel free to ask questions. If that's an option you'd consider pursuing, I'm sure we can help you get setup. If so, feel free to ask in the CSI thread of the Control Surface forum.

And stay safe and healthy in Italy!
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:34 AM   #5
RobVinc77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I use the X-Touch One in Reaper with the third-party CSI Reaper plugin and it works as you describe. CSI stands for Control Surface Integrator and it allows you to combine and configure combinations of MIDI, OSC, MCU, and EuCon surfaces within Reaper. It's still in early beta, and requires a bit of setup, but it works very well with the X-Touch One over here. You may have to configure your X-Touch One a little differently, for example I'm using the MCU Std mode instead of the Reaper mode, but you can then customize the X-Touch One's buttons and actions however you'd like.

Anyway, feel free to ask questions. If that's an option you'd consider pursuing, I'm sure we can help you get setup. If so, feel free to ask in the CSI thread of the Control Surface forum.

And stay safe and healthy in Italy!
you have been very clear and very kind, now I try with CSI, if I still need it I will surely make myself alive. For now, thank you very much.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:48 AM   #6
Funkybot

Quote:
you have been very clear and very kind, now I try with CSI, if I still need it I will surely make myself alive. For now, thank you very much.
Would you prefer that the X-Touch One work on the selected track in Reaper and follows that? Or would you prefer to navigate separate like a larger Mackie surface? I have two sets of X-Touch One files (one for each way) I can share with you to get you up and running faster.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:55 AM   #7
RobVinc77

Quote:
Would you prefer that the X-Touch One work on the selected track in Reaper and follows that? Or would you prefer to navigate separate like a larger Mackie surface? I have two sets of X-Touch One files (one for each way) I can share with you to get you up and running faster.
the X-Touch One worked on the track selected in Reaper and followed it
Old 03-17-2020, 09:30 AM   #8
Funkybot

Here are my files. I included both ways. You can just pick your preferred method.

A few things:

1. These use the MCU STD template

2. In the SelectedTrack mode, you need to make sure the Behringer is transmitting on Fader1 before you put it in MCU STD mode

3. You'll probably have to reassign some actions to get it configured exactly like you want. That's ok, CSI is very flexible. Post in the main CSI thread in the Control Surfaces forum for help there.

4. I have some Custom Actions here. Same as above. I can either tell you what the custom actions do or we can have you reassign them.

5. In the Standard MCU mode, rotary push switches between Pan and Pan Width, in the Selected Track Mode, it's the shift button that does it.

6. I think both modes are setup where you can enter Shift+F2 (Write) to enter the "Focused FX Paramater" mode, which is super handy to use the fader to control FX parameters. Shift+F1 (Read) takes you back.

7. I included a .png file that shows the mapping this is setup for.

8. Install the CSI files in Reaper first, add the contents of the zip to the CSI\Surfaces and CSI\Zones folders as appropriate, and then set up the device in CSI. Instructions here:

https://github.com/malcolmgroves/rea...i/Installation

Last edited by Funkybot; 06-19-2021 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:03 AM   #9
RobVinc77

Quote:
Here are my files. I included both ways. You can just pick your preferred method.

A few things:

2. In the SelectedTrack mode, you need to make sure the Behringer is transmitting on Fader1 before you put it in MCU STD mode

3. You'll probably have to reassign some actions to get it configured exactly like you want. That's ok, CSI is very flexible. Post in the main CSI thread in the Control Surfaces forum for help there.

4. I have some Custom Actions here. Same as above. I can either tell you what the custom actions do or we can have you reassign them.

5. In the Standard MCU mode, rotary push switches between Pan and Pan Width, in the Selected Track Mode, it's the shift button that does it.

6. I think both modes are setup where you can enter Shift+F2 (Write) to enter the "Focused FX Paramater" mode, which is super handy to use the fader to control FX parameters. Shift+F1 (Read) takes you back.

8. Install the CSI files in Reaper first, add the contents of the zip to the CSI\Surfaces and CSI\Zones folders as appropriate, and then set up the device in CSI. Instructions here:

thank you very much, you have been very helpful.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:46 PM   #10
RobVinc77

Quote:

A few things:

hello Funkybot, I tried your files, they are nothing short of perfect and you absolutely guessed what my perplexity was about the native configuration of the X touch. with your mapping I solved all the problems I had, thank you very much.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:05 PM   #11
Funkybot

Quote:
hello Funkybot, I tried your files, they are nothing short of perfect and you absolutely guessed what my perplexity was about the native configuration of the X touch. with your mapping I solved all the problems I had, thank you very much.
Glad you got up and running so easily! Happy to help.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:17 PM   #12
DVDouglas
Banned

Hello I think that the X-Touch One in Reaper with the third-party CSI, I found a video that explains its functionality here I leave it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBOATNS1V8o

This video will show you how to set your device to work with Reaper
DVDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:28 AM   #13
mschnell

Great and easy !
But remember that this enables just a single dedicated workflow.

For a more sophisticated and configurable workflow you might want to use the CSI Reaper extension.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 07-13-2020 at 09:59 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:02 PM   #14
vascosantos

Hi Funkybot,

I'm thinking of getting an X Touch One but I keep reading about problems related to the XT1 not following the selected track on the screen (in case it falls outside the current bank of 8), which would be a show stopper for me.

I'd really like to be able to select any track with the mouse (or whatever) anywhere in Reaper and have the XT1 follow that selection and vice-versa. It would really improve my workflow.

Is this a real limitation of the XT1 and if so, can it be overcome with CSI and the files you have so kindly shared? I'm on MacOS Catalina, should it matter...

I have been reading about this all over and could never find a straight answer.
Your replies here seem hopeful!

Quote:

A few things:

Last edited by vascosantos; 07-13-2020 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Clarify which OS I'm using
vascosantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:15 PM   #15
Funkybot

If you just want to use a "Selected Track" workflow with the X-Touch One in Reaper, it absolutely works with my CSI files. I love it.

My X-Touch One CSI files include two versions: 1) Selected Track version, 2) Banking version. All you have to do is pick the Selected Track version when you setup CSI. Then, when you select a track in Reaper, the surface will jump to that track's settings.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:20 PM   #16
vascosantos

Great stuff Funkybot!
Thank you very much!
Old 07-14-2020, 08:10 PM   #17
Newman Ray

Quote:

A few things:

I feel like a dunce because it seems like everyone else is following this easily, but the instructions on the wiki say "Windows: Put the reaper_csurf_integrator.dll (either 32 or 64 bit according to your Reaper installation) in the folder named UserPlugins in the Reaper resource path." I'm not finding this file in the folder you linked. Where am I supposed to get that file? Thanks!
Newman Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:47 AM   #18
vascosantos

I believe all relevant installation info is here: https://github.com/malcolmgroves/reaper_csi/wiki
Check out the Getting Started Video linked in there for a walkthrough.

After the installation, you would use the setup files (that are specific to the X-Touch One) that Funkybot shared.
You can then further customize if you so wish.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:37 PM   #19
Newman Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by vascosantos View Post
I believe all relevant installation info is here: https://github.com/malcolmgroves/reaper_csi/wiki
Check out the Getting Started Video linked in there for a walkthrough.

After the installation, you would use the setup files (that are specific to the X-Touch One) that Funkybot shared.
You can then further customize if you so wish.
Thanks! It's working now. I think it was the fact that I had it setup in Track Control Panel mode instead of Mixer Control Panel mode. Once I switched that it worked great. Thank you!
Newman Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:50 AM   #20
thundersteve

Hello,

I tried out to configure my new X-Touch One with Funkybot´s Method and files.
I wonder how can I assure this:

Quote:
Because in my attempt the Device would not follow the mouse-Selected Track?!??!

Regards
thundersteve

UPDATE: I Found in the Zone File the Following:
/uses MCU Std mode. If not working, enter one of the MCU DAW modes and hit Channel Select button a few times until fader1 (address e0) is active. Then return to MCU Std mode.

hmm... I entered MC Log Mode, setup the brightness an hitted a thousend Times che CH Select Button....Nothing happended with Fader1 or the displays?

Last edited by thundersteve; 07-26-2020 at 09:36 AM.
thundersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:24 AM   #21
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundersteve View Post
Hello,

I tried out to configure my new X-Touch One with Funkybot´s Method and files.
I wonder how can I assure this:

Because in my attempt the Device would not follow the mouse-Selected Track?!??!

Regards
thundersteve

UPDATE: I Found in the Zone File the Following:
/uses MCU Std mode. If not working, enter one of the MCU DAW modes and hit Channel Select button a few times until fader1 (address e0) is active. Then return to MCU Std mode.

hmm... I entered MC Log Mode, setup the brightness an hitted a thousend Times che CH Select Button....Nothing happended with Fader1 or the displays?
Try this:

1. Open Reaper
2. Run the "CSI Edit" action
3. Enable the "Show Input from Surface" checkbox
4. Move your fader

What fader does CSI says is moving? Is it fader1? If not, then...

5. On the X-Touch One, hold Stop, hit the encoder button and select MCU Cubase mode (temporary)
6. Hit the previous channel button once
7. Move the fader with the CSI Edit log window open

What fader is showing? Repeat steps 6 & 7 until you see "Fader1" in the CSI Edit mode log. Once you do...

8. On the X-Touch One, hold Stop, hit the encoder button and select MCU Standard mode

Then you should be good to go with the Selected Track mode.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:55 AM   #22
thundersteve

Hello Funkybot,

SUCCESS!

The Fader was assigned to Fader6 by default.
With your help I assigned it to Fader1.
Now everything is working very fine.

Thanks a lot for your Support and your files.

The Reaper-Community kicks asses!
Old 07-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #23
thundersteve

@Funkybot:

is it right that for example the Bank up/down buttons are without function in this setup?
You wrote that with this CSI-Solution you can assign every button to nearly every function of reaper.

Is there are global list of all the functions? --> okay it´s the Action list.....

Last edited by thundersteve; 07-26-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:09 PM   #24
Funkybot

Quote:
@Funkybot:

is it right that for example the Bank up/down buttons are without function in this setup?
You wrote that with this CSI-Solution you can assign every button to nearly every function of reaper.

Is there are global list of all the functions? --> okay it´s the Action list.....
Ok, yeah...forgot about that. Glad you asked.

So, if you look at the .zon file, you'll see I have custom actions assigned to BankLeft and BankRight. What I did in Reaper was created a Custom Action that ran "Select Next Track" 8x. Then repeated for "Select Prior Track."

Then I copied the Reaper ID from the action list and pasted that in my .zon file. This approximates "banking." It's not quite the same because it adds 8 instead of going to the next bank of 8, but still works in quickly navigating the project.

Alternatively, you could replace the existing BankLeft and BankRight actions in the zone with this and get the same result:

Code:
	BankLeft 		Reaper 40286 		//Select previous track
	BankRight 		Reaper 40285 		//Select next track
Note: you may see other custom actions in the .zon file or some actions that rely on SWS extensions. So if something doesn't work there, compare to the .zon and see if I had something else assigned.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:30 PM   #25
thundersteve

Okay, I just started to tweak your files to my needs.
the zon file starts the action xxxx
the mst file controls the behavior of the button

I´m in!

I will try something out, If I have specific questions I will post them.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2020, 10:09 PM   #26
thundersteve

I wonder how I can change the behavior of the LED-button that the LED will only light up when the button is pressed.
Like the shift-button...

the commands in the mst-file are looking exact the same to the other assignments
Old 07-27-2020, 08:33 AM   #27
Funkybot

Quote:
I wonder how I can change the behavior of the LED-button that the LED will only light up when the button is pressed.
Like the shift-button...

the commands in the mst-file are looking exact the same to the other assignments
It depends on the action. Some Reaper actions will correctly report the state of the action to the surface and the buttons will toggle appropriately. Some actions do not and I commented out the FB line in the .mst file. I think the shift button works as you described already but can check when I’m home.

So what button and what action is giving you trouble?
Old 07-28-2020, 04:28 AM   #28
thundersteve

I´m nearly through all functions/actions for my needs.
At this time I have two questions:

1) Do you know if the buttons on the device are multicolor, so you can assign a button a special color using the RGB tag?

2) Your zon-file regarding the JogWheel
I´m unable to set the JogWheel to "Scrub" for example
Old 08-06-2020, 05:56 AM   #29
Deffe

Default I did not get it installed - please help!

Hi to all users of the X-Touch 1 with reaper,

I want some actions to be assigned to the buttons and so I searched for some info about CSI - many thanks to the tips of FunkyBot!

I tried to install CSI and followed the instructions on the CSI wiki page: copyied the 64-bit dll file to the UserPlugins folder and the CSI folder into the Reaper resource folder, started reaper and tried to set up CSI.

Pressing "Options", selecting "Control/OSC/Web", then "Add" and then "Control Surface integrator".

Now a new window appears and the wikki says "there are a number of surfaces on the right hand panel" - but both panels are empty!

So what have I to do now to integrate the X-Touch 1 ??

My aim is, to use some of the buttons for special actions I always need:

- split the active midi/audio track at cursor position
- delete the marked midi/audio track snipet
- copy/paste the marked midi/audio track snipet
- in midi editor: move / delete the selected midi note

I hope, that this is possible with CSI ?!

Many thanks in advance!

(Hope you understand my poor english
Deffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:54 AM   #30
thundersteve

Hey Deffe,

Now a new window appears and the wikki says "there are a number of surfaces on the right hand panel" - but both panels are empty!
--> same Situation here, you have to add a PAGE on the left column and name it what you want (For example: Behringer X-Touch One)
--> then go on with the instructions to add surface on the left column for the newly created PAGE

Nearly every Action of the action-list or custom-action can be assigned to the x-touch.
There is a kind of macro-command of the desired action. This is the command you want to assign in the zon-file
Old 08-09-2020, 07:11 AM   #31
Deffe

@Thundersteve: Many thanks! In the meanwhile I've got a good workaround for my X-Touch 1 integration: I set it to "MCU Std" mode and assigned the desired actions to the function buttons F1 to F6. Seems to work ok for me, so I do not have to hassle around with CSI anymore Or are there any benefits using CSI worth to deal with? (Perhaps the "x-touch follows track selection" thing?

Greetings
Deffe
Old 08-09-2020, 10:12 AM   #32
thundersteve

I use the "Selected Track Mode" and assigned nearly every button of the x-touch to my workflows, which are for recording analog audio and a little midi for drums (mainly songwriting rock and metal-music).
I think the actions of an EDM-Producer would be totally different...

Also changed the values of the mst-file to the button behavior that fitted me the best.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:52 PM   #33
Deffe

Uh, that sounds interesting as I also use it for midi (drums and keyboards) and analog (vocal, guitar, bass). On analog stuff I mosty need to split, delete, move copy and paste pieces of the track - on the midi side I edit my drums (use a roland td30) and keyboard parts (if some notes are wrong). I use an behringer x32 producer as "audio interface" and X32Reaper software to "combine" Reaper with the X32.

The only thing I miss is that selecting a track in reaper does not syncronize with the X-Touch -
Old 10-28-2020, 04:30 AM   #34
vascosantos

I'm on Reaper 6.15 and Mac OS Catalina.
I have gone through a full OS install and that included CSI integration install (latest version from October 26, 2020).

I am using MCU Std mode and FunkyBot's Selected Track config files and I can't seem to get the XT1 to transmit Fader changes, nor Pan changes, nor anything really.
This was working fine in my previous setup.

I have noticed that I can get the fader and pan changes into the chosen track but only if I run the CSI Toggle Show Input from Surfaces action.

Is there a repository of CSI versions to see if I can get a previous one working for now?