Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #121
PRS
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMcFly View Post
PRS. are you running BitDefender AV?
Can you try disabling your AV software and see if that makes a difference?
Its a bit of a straw clutch, but worth a shot
KM

Will do.

Btw rev 9 & 10 both run fine on my i5 laptop. With the AV software running. (AVAST!)

Thanks for your help

PRS
PRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:02 AM   #122
JohnnyMcFly

PRS, Can you please try this..

While loading AcmeBarGig Shred (actually just before) in fx Add window
in Reaper

Right-click and check "Run As --> " then "Separate Process" option, then
load. See if that works.

Thanks man
KM
Old 08-31-2010, 12:08 AM   #123
JohnnyMcFly

Guys

New beta Here
http://www.acmebargig.com/forums/vie...hp?f=82&t=1142

We are pretty specific what we're looking for in terms of reports, there are some things that have sort of been left as is from the last beta, but what we are really looking for anyone with a slower machine, something like a Single core Pentium 4 2.8ghz or lower machine running Reaper. From the testing we have managed to do, so far Shred runs on every DAW and every type of machine, except the above. Slower machines + Reaper + Shred = BOOM!

Above a single core p4 2.8Ghz machine, it runs in reaper fine without problems and as expected..

Hopefully some of you can shed some light on this error because it is holding up the release AND the start of the development of Shred 2.0..
Thanks

Those of you who have signed up for the Shred Pre-purchase, we should have already had a beta out for that, but we are stuck chasing the above bug. As soon as 1.5x is officially released, we'll be on Shred 2, and I would expect to see a VERY quick turnaround to the first Shred 2 beta...So sorry for the wait, but, Shred 2.0 will be built from the groundwork of Shred 1.5x, so we need to get it right in order to give us our strongest foot hold..

Thanks
KM
Old 09-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #124
Tale

I have already posted this on the AcmeBarGig forum, but I'll post it here as well:

I happened to stumble upon an old Pentium M 1.60 GHz (single-core, no hyper-threading either) notebook with Windows XP Home Edition (SP3), so just out of curiosity I thought I'd give REAPER 3.672 and Shred 1.5x43REV1 a try on this machine, and what do you know... it works! So this is not a REAPER issue for sure, and probably not a Shred issue either.
Tale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #125
JohnnyMcFly

Man Just when I think we have a handle on it...
Thanks dude...
KM
Old 09-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #126
chromesitar

Default Slow computer issue

I've got an Athlon 2Ghz with 1 gig of memory and XP Home. Shred standalone uses only ~6% CPU. Reaper and a few tracks uses about the same at idle. If I combine the two, however, usage goes up to 22%. Manipulating the master volume on either causes a 30% jump. This is just for your info, though, since I can still use them just fine and I am upgrading early next year. Pre-purchasing Shred 2 this week .
chromesitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #127
JohnnyMcFly

Wow the Master volume? You know I bet that is the Graphics causing that. The popup numbers. I really didn't want to add them because of that issue. In some older machines they will cause what sounds like zipper noise. I think what we'll do is allow you an option to shut those popups off in Shred 2, the backtrack with a Shred 1.5x option that allows that a well..
Thanks man for the input
KM
Old 09-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #128
chromesitar

Default Slow stuff

Well, I thought it was related more directly to the MV since the other controls don't behave the same way. Could you place the decimals inside the knob? I don't know that I've seen that anywhere before. Not a popup, but persistent. I know, big UI change . It seems to be a spike, it doesn't continue to occur if I hold the button down and continuously adjust the MV. I don't know if it's something that needs to have time spent on it. I'm fine with it.

And thanks for the great community interaction. This is what sells product. Now you just need an expensive ad campaign .
Old 09-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #129
JohnnyMcFly

ah haha Expensive ad campaign..Man I'll just be happy when I don't have to eat stew anymore..

Well the numbers inside the knobs is not all that big of a change, but I would need to re-render the knobs, which means I have to find all the raw sources..That will be quite a task.

I looked at that volume knob last night and nothing was apparent to me, so I'll look again later. I am just about finished the last addition to Shred before final release, which is native support for the entire 180,000 cabinets of redwirez. I think its 180,000, or is it 18,000? I dunno, a whole shit load of them. haha

Community interaction..man its my pleasure, I have met a lot of people here I now consider great friends..

KM
Old 09-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #130
EvilDragon

That's a bit over 185 THOUSAND (185,000+) cabinet IR files for BigBox only.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #131
chromesitar

Default Variables inside knobs

OK, scratch that...opened up Amplitube 3 and it reminded me of what they do with them. They just have one indicator which represents the current or most recently changed variable. That should be easier to implement than the ones inside the knobs. Not that you really need to change it, but perhaps a persistent graphics item would give the UI a consistency between the heads and any other stomp or other variable changed. Personally I'm fine with what you've got.

BTW, Amp. 3 runs at 31 % for me, higher than Reaper and Shred together!.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #132
JohnnyMcFly

Yeah we worked feverishly on that CPU Usage...Now we need to take care of the mem usage..
KM
Old 09-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #133
JohnnyMcFly

PRS, We still have not fixed that set of circumstances yet. That i just something I think we're gonna have to live with. To TBH it primarily happens with chips that are 9 years or older. So, our foot print is minimal.. Thats not to say we're going to stop, looking at it though.

Now after a gazillion complaints and tutorials on our Cabinet menu definitions, I have finally re-wrote the dialog...No more editing text files to add external Cabinets! I have just released the new Dialog to the beta testers and pre-purchasers for testing. Likewise, they are on version 2 of the Redwirez interface as well.

KM
Old 09-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #134
kindafishy

Redwirez integration is very cool Ken. Does it do Recabinet as well? You may have mentioned it, but I may have missed it.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #135
JohnnyMcFly

Well I don't have any sort of official support for Recab as I don't have it myself and we don't have an NFR, But the new menu dialog creation tool is very easy to work with. Just point it to any number of Folders that you want to use and it adds them with their proper menus. So, you don't need to edit the text files any more. It also allows you to reorganize them too.

So, one could just use that to define their Recab folders...
km
Old 09-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #136
JohnnyMcFly

Oh and I forgot to mention, I just checked in our our RedShift II development and we may be as close as a week away from that!
KM
Old 09-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #137
kindafishy

That sounds cool, but I suppose I wouldn't be able to do the automatic impulse switching based on the mic distance and position - that rules.

I have ReCabinet. If you are interested, I can send you a 'dir /b/s' of the install directory so you can see and adapt what you are doing with redwirez and the mic magic. Maybe I can do some testing on it too.

Your call, but the offer is out there.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #138
kindafishy

Better yet Ken, if you want me to, I can easily make a script that duplicates the directory structure complete with file names (empty files though, obviously). Should be easy for you to test this way, and I can't imagine that this violates anything by any stretch.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #139
kindafishy

Okay, I was a bit bored and interested in doing it so I made the directory structure with file names. Respond here or PM me if you want it, Ken.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:44 AM   #140
JohnnyMcFly

I actually have the folder structure already, but, we don't have an agreement with them in place in order to provide official support. While I do understand what you're getting at, we no longer have the time left to implement it. I had petitioned them for an NFR many times, quite a while ago. I knew Redwirez was on board with their support, so, in fairness I offered the same opportunity to Recab. Nothing ever became of it, and we never received an NFR so we moved on.

In all reality it will cost us a week in development time to actually add that support in properly. So, wat I'm getting at is there are costs involved with that and we only have so much time to dedicate to it.

Its not like you can't still use Recab though, you just don't get the mic placement from sliding the mic...But natively, Shred still supports it 100% as part of its interface. Meaning you don't have to Navigate...

We'll see what happens when our Cabs go on sale, perhaps we'll add it then...I would expect to see them released to the beta testers and the Shred 2 pre-purchasers in the next week or so. We're throwing them in as part of the Pre-purchasers deal. Its not much but kind of a way of us saying thank you for the support..

I just noticed I did not post these images

KM
Old 09-10-2010, 03:28 AM   #141
Tedwood

I keep expecting to be able to scroll through preset folders in the same way that I can through the Favourites folder Ken.

As it is, if I load one from my own "TW" folder and then decide I'd to choose another I have to go back to the presets menu repeatedly until I find the one I like best.

What would be good is if the Favourites folder became the last one you used, instead of remaining "Favourites"

The only work around, I think , is to put everything in Favourites, but then the list becomes long.

I would like eventually to be able to custom build several folders to break them up into similar styles as I already have too many in my Tedwood folder

Possible?

Last edited by Tedwood; 09-10-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Tedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #142
JohnnyMcFly

I am already on this Ted..

How about we use the Cabinet menu definition language to allow you to setup your own favorites anywhere on the drive in multiple cascaded folders...?

There are many uses for that menu definition, this is but one of them. Anywhere you see one of those drop down menus, that definition language can be applied to it.

Its a technology that is already developed and in use. Its proven and works. I have to look further into it though so it won't be in 1.5X, I need to release that. But that does not mean we won't update it later..
KM
Old 09-10-2010, 07:15 AM   #143
kindafishy

Understandable on the Recabinet front Ken.

Too bad that it can't be a user defined scheme. If that was possible, then you might end up with user contributed convo plugin packs that worked with the magic mic. That would be sweet.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #144
JohnnyMcFly

Well we're not far off from being able to provide that already. Most of the coding is done, so it would not be much to fully implement a selection driven interface. When the mic value is at X load IR Y.. I can definitely see value in that, and I'll put that together for sure if there is enough interest in the Cab..

More importantly for now, after my last post I decided we really need a robust menu creator utility, so I am going to work on making that today and seeing how hard that would be to completely replace the current preset interface with one that Ted is talking about. If its more than one additional day, then we'll stay with what we got..

KM
Old 09-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #145
kindafishy

There's always 2.0...
Old 09-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #146
Tedwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
There's always 2.0...
Yes there is

I didn't want to cost you a great deal of work Ken, in my ignorance I thought it might be easy to make the Favorites folder change into the one last chosen from on the drop down list. Cascading folders don't make that much difference if we can still select a new custom folder. I would just name them things like "TW - Vintage crunch" so I know where to find something like a Bassman for instance. If it was not quite right I could scroll for a better one or just tweak that one and save it back in the Vintage crunch folder for future use

You have to press on with you own priorities

It would be fantastic if you could make this possible, but if not it would be good enough if I had a naming system to keep alike presets together

Last edited by Tedwood; 09-10-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Tedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #147
JohnnyMcFly

Yeah understood Ted, but in my own stupidness, I saved over top of the dialog I wrote yesterday, so I need to write another one anyways..
KM
Old 09-16-2010, 12:17 AM   #148
mabian

I am trying the latest beta, but each time I load a preset a message tells me that the master output is off and I have to turn it on by moving manually the master knob.

This happens each time I select a new preset.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:05 AM   #149
JohnnyMcFly

No thats a flaw that has already been fixed with later betas. I hope to have the final release by this weekend, but as soon as I can get the install finished I will release the latest beta to the public. Right now, It has been released internally as a rar file to our testers and pre-purchasers. Without a full install I don't want to release it to a public audience...

On a positive note however, since I'm already here...we managed to drop the CPU % to its lowest levels in the entire history of the Shred development..Including 1.01, 1.06, and all the 1.5x betas...
Its now at around 12.6%, the best we got to before was 13.5% or somewhere near that...And, I still think there is lots of room for further reduction as I have only half optimized...
Here..

Also to note that 12.6% CPU Usage is on a single core Pentium 4, 3 Ghz processor with 1 GB of ram(I believe its about 8 year old technology). So on some of the new quad cores, I can't really see the usage being anywhere above 3-4%. I don't actually know though, I am guessing at CPU Usage for quads...

Thanks for the heads up though Mabian..
KM

Last edited by JohnnyMcFly; 09-16-2010 at 05:58 PM.
JohnnyMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #150
mabian

Thank you Sir, looking forward to try the final release!

- Mario
Old 09-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #151
JHughes
Banned

I just prepaid.
I support JohnnyMcFly's development methodology wholeheartedly.
I think with the input of the million or so guitar players on this forum, that Shred is going to produce real sounding, usable tones.
And I have some DI'd clean guitar tones that need realworldizing.

I'm also good at finding kinks in any UI.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:56 AM   #152
mabian

Agreed, soon getting 2.0 as well: but first let 1.5 out the door

- Mario
Old 09-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #153
JohnnyMcFly

Yep, the input is what is required, for sure...Thanks JHughes...

It takes a community to raise a child, could the same be required for a Virtual amp?

On a serious note, Mabian, I 100% agree, Shred 2 will be built on the framework of Shred 1.5x, so if we get 1.5x wrong, then we're in for a world of hurt for 2.0 because it will be 3 times more complex than 1.5x is..

The latest beta has yielded some very positive results, the only issue we have not been able to address yet, is a simple preset loading flaw in the redwirez interface. I say simple, but really there is nothing simple about that interface...haha
I am really happy we got the CPU Usage down again, and as soon as I get this preset issue solved, we'll try and bring it down more...I just got a report that using Sony Vegas, and a Quad core, the user managed 7 instances of Shred with 30% CPU. I bet in reaper that would be somewhere around 18-20% on the same system..I dunno, but I like it!

KM
Old 09-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #154
kindafishy

Ken, finally got a chance to play around with the latest Shred beta on a new song I'm working on.

I'm really digging the Mahakali head. It has a nice sweet clean warmth to it. Rings really well and cab impulses respond really well to it.

Very nice for cleans.

Edit: Ken, using the overdrive pedal with the Mahakali head really drops the volume a lot... like way below the clean level. I really like the clean sound of this head and I'm trying to get it to break up.

Edit again: Okay, got it. Switched from Old School to High Gain, put it on the DIRTY Channel, turned the Gain down super low, the level about 10 o'clock and the master cranked. Clean when playing nice, dirty and broken when playing hard. This head really responds nicely and realistically to player dynamics, Ken. Awesome looking head too...

Last edited by kindafishy; 09-17-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #155
kindafishy

Ken! WTF!

You have really upped ABG's game with this suite. I just discovered Super Sound 1972. It sounds so damned good, I started to laugh when I heard it. I've been riffin and groovin to this thing all night. To my ears, this sounds like the most natural, off the floor, cranked to the sky amp I have heard done in software.

Thank you so much man. Really.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:06 AM   #156
JohnnyMcFly

Thanks man...It has been, I guess about 6 months of discovery. If you remember we were going to release like 3 times, then at the last minute, either myself or someone else found a better way to do something, and well release is off.

The biggest and most happy change was the new tonestack, then the new upsampling.

For cleans, by far my Favorite head is Honken, then Quarter, The marvel is kinda nice too. Marvel is a flat sounding clean, whereas Honken is sort of all over the place all at once. Quarter is the same but with some extra mids.

Supersound is my generic 1970's feel and vibe. Stuff like Alright now, Old Aerosmith, Sabbath...That type of thing I use that head for.

Skull Job is like Ratt 80's kinda thing with extra mids...

MahaKali on the other hand is meant as an extreme in both directions, ultra modern in High gain mode, and ultra vintage in Vintage mode. You can even get the Rust never sleeps type sound from her...Like the amp is gonna blow up.

Anyways thanks man...All your past and hopefully future support is appreciated..
KM