Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 04-04-2020, 01:10 AM   #1
reveriedive
Human being with feelings

Default Very interesting feature - related to layering virtual instrument with nested effects

Request : I can't explain you much here with just texts. So please, first see the attached image. Read there and try to understand there everything. I have clearly explained there everything.

Benefits : layering instruments with different effects for each instrument inside just one track. No more routing tracks, hence no more mess.

SEE THE ATTACHED IMAGE PLEASE! Thank you. Please vote whether you want this feature or not. I really want developers to see this. Sorry, but the developers aren't paying much attention to my previous feature requests I hope they do at least for this one.

Guide for reading the texts in the attached image : first read red text, then green, then blue, then yellow and then purple at last.
Attached Images
File Type: png Attached Image.png (38.5 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by reveriedive; 04-04-2020 at 01:19 AM. Reason: little correction in the attached image
reveriedive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:24 AM   #2
sonicowl

I think you can already do this, just route each plugin to separate stereo pair. Reaper track can have 64 parallel streams, so you can have 32 stereo parallel fx chains on each track.
I just wish we would have a way to group them together visually, because it gets messy quickly, and you soon don't know anymore where is what.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:32 AM   #3
mpl

^^ a lot of manual work though. But it is scriptable anyway.
Nobody like mess with FX chains, so simply use routing. It is essetial and easier way to setup layering.

Last edited by mpl; 04-04-2020 at 08:38 AM.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:13 AM   #4
n997

Similar functionality is indeed already possible by using many channels per track, and mixing them with JSFX (such as "JS: 8x Stereo to 1x Stereo Mixer").

As mentioned above, channel routing can get rather complex though, and requires some getting used to. The channel routing UI ("Plug-in pin connector" window) could be more visually logical too, if it flowed top to down instead of left to right. Here's a related request with a signal flow diagram: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2200850

But besides that, I think the feature does work well, and its FX routing capabilities are somewhat comparable to grouping in Ableton Live.

Examples can be found in the manual under topics of "More REAPER Routing Examples" and "Splitting Channels".
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote