Old 08-31-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
AtmanActive
Human being with feelings

Default TX16Wx Software Sampler

Discussion about the ongoing development of the TX16Wx Software Sampler by Calle Wilund - CWI Technology.

http://tx16wx.blogspot.com/
AtmanActive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
AtmanActive

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcallio View Post
Could you provide the project files that caused the error? If possible, including samples used, in the same directory structure as you keep them.
If so, I can try reproducing it.
I tested v0.9.01 x64 mainly with sf2 files, but, unfortunately, have deleted that test project.
Since you are now reading this forum, I'll repeat the tests with v0.9.02 x64 and let you know.

Cheers!
Old 08-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
AtmanActive

I'm glad to report that v0.9.02 x64 now saves/loads correctly.

So, I started a new project in Reaper v4.0rc1 x64, inserted TX16Wx v0.9.02 x64 on a folder track, in TX16Wx's interface loaded few Performance files (sf2 files), tweaked a bit, saved Reaper project, didn't use any save/export functions on TX16Wx, exited Reaper, started Reaper again, loaded project, and TX16Wx plays back exactly as I left it before exiting Reaper.

Yes!
Good news!
Congrats Calle.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
AtmanActive

BUG: Sample start offset crashes the sampler

How to reproduce:
Load a sample, go to Keymap page, select a zone, tweak the sample start offset knob (labeled 'Start'). If the sampler is in playback mode, and you tweak the knob too high, the TX16Wx crashes. Not crashing when playback is stopped.

Quote:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: reaper_host64.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4e30446a
Fault Module Name: TX16Wx.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.902.240.92
Fault Module Timestamp: 4e5be03c
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000000005fade
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 9ada
Additional Information 2: 9adaf3792acaa6d132f8be1163b68f3f
Additional Information 3: 54fb
Additional Information 4: 54fb1bbd2b863d489062a9517c9c1abe
Old 09-02-2011, 02:21 AM   #5
elcallio

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmanActive View Post
BUG: Sample start offset crashes the sampler

How to reproduce:
Load a sample, go to Keymap page, select a zone, tweak the sample start offset knob (labeled 'Start'). If the sampler is in playback mode, and you tweak the knob too high, the TX16Wx crashes. Not crashing when playback is stopped.
Sorry for late response...
Weird. That parameter is only evaluated on note-on, and if set to high, simply prevents trigger. What sample rate was the project in, and the sample triggered... Maybe some weird wraparound...
I've been tweaking wave/loop start params/modulation for 0.9.03. I've added some more guards there, so hopefully, if that was the issue, it might be fixed. Knock on wood.
Expect release during weekend or so.
Cheers
elcallio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:11 AM   #6
AtmanActive

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcallio View Post
What sample rate was the project in, and the sample triggered...
Project was at 44.1kHz.
I don't know where to read sample's rate in TX16Wx's interface.

EDIT: I used Viena to inspect the SF2 file and the samples in it are indeed at 48kHz.

I hope this info helps.

Cheers.

Last edited by AtmanActive; 09-02-2011 at 06:16 AM. Reason: added info
Old 09-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #7
elcallio

Default New release

0.9.03 available from the same website as before. This release fixes a number of bugs, and adds some new modulation features.

- Added loop start & end modulation
- Added glide modulation
- Made mono mode handle held notes correctly
- Fixed broken XSD definitions for polyphonic modes
- Fixed wave start modulation units
- Fixed "goto" in sample editor
- Fixed sample editor update on drag&drop of samples
- Tweaked resonance of filter to be a little less loud&aggressive.
- Reduced automatable program slots to 32
- Added 48 assignable automation parameters
Old 09-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
AtmanActive

Great!
This is great!
Working great!

No more crashes when fiddling with sample start, and the new modulations are awesome.

Now, few things that appear annoying workflow-wise (I'm using SF2 files only):

- Please add 'Add performance' function that would load a SF2 file into memory, but not apply it to whole sampler immediately, like 'Load performance' function does.

- Please add 'All supported (*.txperf; *.sf2)' to the file filter of Load performance (Add performance) file open dialog.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TX16Wx-1.jpg (63.7 KB, 4624 views)
Old 11-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
Dilithium

Default Root Key bug

Hi Calle (or Carl),

Using TX16Wx Version 1.0.0

I've gone through your QuickStart guide. Everything I have played with (so far) seems to work fine apart from the Root Key mapping. As your quickstart is in Reaper, I assumed I was doing something wrong, but this keeps happening.

In sequence: -

New Perf+Slot+Sequence
Drag samples into Group window
Move samples to correct positions on Keymap page
Change RootKey for each sample so they play at the correct rate.
Test that they all play at the correct pitch
Save Reaper Preset (tried Save as Default, too)
Close Reaper

Then...

Open Reaper (plus Project song).
TW16Wx loads in, but with no samples loaded.
Select the previously saved Reaper user preset (.rpl).

The samples all load in, in their correct positions on the Keymap. However, the Root Keys for each sample do not.

e.g

I have five samples each starting at C, an octave apart. I set each root key to be the C key of each sample's octave.
The first sample has taken it's root key from Sample 5. The following four samples have their root key from the previous sample. So: -

Sample 1 is using Sample 5 root key
Sample 2 is using Sample 1 root key
Sample 3 is using Sample 2 root key
Sample 4 is using Sample 3 root key
Sample 5 is using Sample 4 root key

Using this technique, I've found a workaround, but I think it might need fixing. :-)

Is there any way of getting the preset to load with the Reaper project, though? It's not a pain to select it again. Just a little frustrating that it isn't there, ready to go.

Thanks for making this, though. Wonderful piece of software. I don't need the likes of Kontakt or Halion. So, this will be ideal, when it's working as expected. I'll just use the workarounds for now. I will happily donate, when it's working a little better.

Best regards.
Dilithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:11 AM   #10
elcallio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilithium View Post
I've gone through your QuickStart guide. Everything I have played with (so far) seems to work fine apart from the Root Key mapping. As your quickstart is in Reaper, I assumed I was doing something wrong, but this keeps happening.

In sequence: -

New Perf+Slot+Sequence
Drag samples into Group window
Move samples to correct positions on Keymap page
Change RootKey for each sample so they play at the correct rate.
Test that they all play at the correct pitch
Save Reaper Preset (tried Save as Default, too)
Close Reaper

Then...

Open Reaper (plus Project song).
TW16Wx loads in, but with no samples loaded.
Select the previously saved Reaper user preset (.rpl).

The samples all load in, in their correct positions on the Keymap. However, the Root Keys for each sample do not.
I've tried doing exactly what you describe, and I have no problems (except for one which I'll get to...)

The contents of your active TX bank (i.e whatever is in the sampler) should be saved alongside with the project (you did save the project once you had set up the samples didn't you?). There is no need to use reaper presets. In fact, i noticed some very strange behaviour where saving a reaper preset _before_ saving the song once resulted in an empty result (for TX). So, until I take time to figure out what's different between reaper presets and fxb chunks, I'd suggest not using them with the TX16Wx. If you want to save your sound data for later use, saving out bank/performances/programs directly will serve you better imho.

Anyhow, for the task you described, the workflow should just be:

* New project
* New TX16Wx instrument track etc etc
* Load some samples, make whatever adjustments (including root, though it sounds like you actually want the transpose setting, two to the right)
* Record some midi tracks
* Save project + Close project
* (Optional) Wait until next day
* Load project
* All should be as it was when saved.

If it is not, then there is something fishy. I can only say that this works perfectly for me with Reaper 4, both 32bit and 64bit.
If you continue having trouble we should perhaps see about you sending me your project data so I can see if I can spot any strangeness there.

Cheers
/C
Old 11-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #11
Dilithium

Hi Calle,

Reaper vers 4.13 (tonight)

I followed your steps. Sorry, but there are still no samples present in the performance window (or any other window for that matter) when I restart Reaper and load up the project.

I have saved the performance off, however, so it appears in the VST Patches (.fxp) drop-down. It consists of several samples in one program, spread over two sample groups. But the following error still happens even with one group created.

If I just select the performance from the VST Patches drop-down, it loads into the window. Some with the root in the correct place, some without. After closer inspection, it seems that the Root keys are staying in the correct place for that sample, but some of the samples themselves are coming in wrong, mapped in the wrong order. They are taking up the correct number of keys, in relation to what _should_ be there.

Example: -

Sample A should go from C3 - E3 (5 semitones) Root key at C3
Sample B should go from F3 - B3 (7 semitones) Root key at F3

Sample B load's into Sample A's slot, covering C3 - E3 but Sample B's Root key still at F3

...oooOOOooo...

If, instead, I right-click > 'Clear Bank' in the Performance window and then right-click > Load Performance, it works as expected and all the samples have the correct root key. This is fine (for the moment) because this is the only bank I have.

So, it would seem that whatever info .txperf is storing correctly, when I load it in from scratch, Reaper's .fxp is not.

I hope this is helpful to your testing? :-)

Thanks,

Neil
Dilithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #12
elcallio

Neil, I really have no clue to as why you get such strange results. I really suggest you package the whole project, reaper song, source samples etc and send to me so I can try to figure out what's happening.
Cheers
/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilithium View Post
Hi Calle,

Reaper vers 4.13 (tonight)

I followed your steps. Sorry, but there are still no samples present in the performance window (or any other window for that matter) when I restart Reaper and load up the project.

I have saved the performance off, however, so it appears in the VST Patches (.fxp) drop-down. It consists of several samples in one program, spread over two sample groups. But the following error still happens even with one group created.

If I just select the performance from the VST Patches drop-down, it loads into the window. Some with the root in the correct place, some without. After closer inspection, it seems that the Root keys are staying in the correct place for that sample, but some of the samples themselves are coming in wrong, mapped in the wrong order. They are taking up the correct number of keys, in relation to what _should_ be there.

Example: -

Sample A should go from C3 - E3 (5 semitones) Root key at C3
Sample B should go from F3 - B3 (7 semitones) Root key at F3

Sample B load's into Sample A's slot, covering C3 - E3 but Sample B's Root key still at F3

...oooOOOooo...

If, instead, I right-click > 'Clear Bank' in the Performance window and then right-click > Load Performance, it works as expected and all the samples have the correct root key. This is fine (for the moment) because this is the only bank I have.

So, it would seem that whatever info .txperf is storing correctly, when I load it in from scratch, Reaper's .fxp is not.

I hope this is helpful to your testing? :-)

Thanks,

Neil
Old 10-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #13
V'ger

Track templates for TX16Wx here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=121
V'ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #14
MichaJo

I'm not that good on sampler stuff. I just want to use a sampler to play sounds. I've heard that the TX16Wx can play SFZ and SF2 files.
Usually i use SFZ+ for that purpose.
I've tried to play some sf2 files with the TX16Wx and had strange results.
Some sf2 seem to sound a lot better than with SFZ. (I don't understand why, but that's okay, no complaint )
But some just sound silly. E.G. Brass & Solo Sections.sf2 is played with a high amplitude vibrato. I've only loaded the file and didn't change any settings.
Where should i start? Read some manuals to figure out what the reason may be?
Or is there an easy way to just use this sampler as a SoundFont player?

Michael

First played is SFZ. Second TX16Wx. Same file.

Last edited by MichaJo; 12-07-2012 at 07:56 AM.
MichaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:05 AM   #15
Barth

Default Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaJo View Post
I've tried to play some sf2 files with the TX16Wx and had strange results.
Some sf2 seem to sound a lot better than with SFZ. (I don't understand why, but that's okay, no complaint )
But some just sound silly. E.G. Brass & Solo Sections.sf2 is played with a high amplitude vibrato. I've only loaded the file and didn't change any settings.
Where should i start? Read some manuals to figure out what the reason may be?
Or is there an easy way to just use this sampler as a SoundFont player?

Michael

Hello Michael (some years later)

I installed TX16Wx very recently, and something similar happens to me: sometimes I load an SF2, and it sounds weird, it sounds as if some effect had been applied to it, sounds ugly.
I made the comparison with Sforzando, and the same sound that sounds strange in TX16Wx, in Sforzando it sounds good.
Instead, other SF2 sounds good on TX16Wx.
And also, in all cases, the TX16Wx out volume level is very high. Every sf2 I load I have to decrease the volume, because it distorts, it doesn't seem normal.
Did you solve the problem?

Cheers

Last edited by Barth; 10-19-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Barth is offline   Reply With Quote