caseyjames
Human being with feelings

Default v4: Midi

gulp...
caseyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
schwa
Administrator

There is at least one major MIDI feature in the works for v4.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
zappadave

Groove Quantize?
Score Editor?
Both?
Old 12-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
Eyes

Is there any way to have the piano roll view automatically show other midi events in the same piano roll (as in other tracks midi in the same editor, similar to Pro Tools and Sonar)?

I can't see any notes of changes to this sort of behavior so just wondering if anything has been changed or is planned? Thanks.
Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
pbognar

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
There is at least one major MIDI feature in the works for v4.
<holding on to shorts>
pbognar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
dub3000

my gut feeling is it's NOT going to be notation, but it is very likely something to do with OSC.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
pbognar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
my gut feeling is it's NOT going to be notation, but it is very likely something to do with OSC.
Still holding out hope for basic staff editor (no printing)...

What is OSC?
Old 12-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
mabian

My bet is for some kind of logical editor... and possibly for in project ghosts (which wouldn't be huge in itself but pretty major for my workflow).

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
EvilDragon

In-project ghosts! All items in the same take line considered as one überitem, visible at once in MIDI editor (think Sonar)! No more blocky CC editing! Proper drum maps! Logical editor! Better and smoother mouse behavior (see FL)! etc. etc. etc.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
dub3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbognar View Post
Still holding out hope for basic staff editor (no printing)...

What is OSC?
i reaaally think notation just isn't going to show up. there are ways around this with third-party tools though, apparently.

OSC is open sound control - like a next-generation MIDI and control standard, can operate over network/wifi. think: iPad control of reaper, crazy sound controllers. devs have gone on record as saying it'll show up in v4 somewhere and that a lot of the midi improvements will depend on how they implement OSC.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #11
Kundalinguist

Me? Glad you asked. I see groove quantize AND an ability to filter notes by size and sequence ie. 1,3,5,7 or 2,4, etc. as FUNdamental. Or is it KUNDAmental?

Last edited by Kundalinguist; 12-01-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Kundalinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #12
pc999

At least that.
________
Novana Residence Condo

Last edited by pc999; 08-22-2011 at 04:57 PM.
pc999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #13
strunkdts

!!!!!!!!!!!
strunkdts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #14
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
In-project ghosts! All items in the same take line considered as one überitem, visible at once in MIDI editor (think Sonar)! No more blocky CC editing! Proper drum maps! Logical editor! Better and smoother mouse behavior (see FL)! etc. etc. etc.
That lot would be very nice indeed!

At least ghost items! please!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
strunkdts

i cant believe that ghosts and groove quantise, global quantise/swing wouldnt be a given, first up.

But without sounding too negative, cos reading all these threads theres a bit of a ho hum vibe going on, its still early days.
strunkdts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #16
Susan G

Quote:
That's a pretty good list, right there! +1, especially All items in the same take line considered as one überitem, visible at once in MIDI editor.

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:12 AM   #17
captain caveman

In addition to the midi-editor-per-track thang, a teensy weensy preference of "track selection follows item selection" would be great too for staying in the MIDI editor and performing actions on tracks (like recording).
captain caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #18
Evgeny Bardyuzha

In-project ghosts please!!!!!
Evgeny Bardyuzha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:24 AM   #19
mikeroephonics

***PLEASE*** allow us to select multiple MIDI items, at once, within a single MIDI Editor. This would speed up my workflow immensely!

These modifiers would be ideal for me:

Non-contiguous MIDI Select:
Ctrl+LeftClick the colored squares in the MIDI Filter Box so that any square clicked on will have an X in it (not just one box, but MULTIPLE boxes.)

Contiguous MIDI Select:
Shift+LeftClick the colored squares in the MIDI Filter Box so that any square clicked on will have an X in it (not just one box, but MULTIPLE boxes.)

Thanks,
-Mike
Old 12-02-2010, 06:10 AM   #20
parfumer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
Me? Glad you asked. I see groove quantize AND an ability to filter notes by size and sequence ie. 1,3,5,7 or 2,4, etc. as FUNdamental.
And my old FR:
export midi
That now isn't present, and that should be:
Export with:
1. Track names(!!!)
2. Markers

Last edited by parfumer; 12-02-2010 at 06:16 AM.
parfumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #21
Gromit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
i reaaally think notation just isn't going to show up. there are ways around this with third-party tools though, apparently.
If it doesn't show up, I'm afraid I'm outta here. It's an essential feature, and a lot of people have been waiting very patiently while pretty, but non-essential stuff has been implemented.

I've been waiting for ages for the notation editor, so that I can actually use the program. In the meantime I've held off producing music with Sonar (which for all its faults does have a score editor of sorts).

As for third=party tools, they don't work satisfactorily, and there are also third-party DAWs.

Can't understand why so many here seem almost ideologically opposed to a score editor.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #22
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
It's an essential feature
Not to everyone.

Quote:
while pretty, but non-essential stuff has been implemented.
Again, not to everyone.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #23
jens

Quote:

As for third=party tools, they don't work satisfactorily

Why not?

Finale as secondary editor works like a treat here...

Quote:
If it doesn't show up, I'm afraid I'm outta here.
It's all your choice and your own business - but don't be shocked if no-one gives a rat's arse on whether you are 'outta here' or not.
You are neither less nor more important than any other of us thousands of users. Swallow that!

Quote:
It's an essential feature, and a lot of people have been waiting very patiently while pretty, but non-essential stuff has been implemented.

If less people would fall for the common fallacy that what is most important to them personally was 'essential' to others, the world surely would be a better place.

Last edited by jens; 12-02-2010 at 10:02 AM.
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #24
LFO

Quote:
If it doesn't show up, I'm afraid I'm outta here. It's an essential feature, and a lot of people have been waiting very patiently while pretty, but non-essential stuff has been implemented.

I've been waiting for ages for the notation editor, so that I can actually use the program. In the meantime I've held off producing music with Sonar (which for all its faults does have a score editor of sorts).

As for third=party tools, they don't work satisfactorily, and there are also third-party DAWs.

Can't understand why so many here seem almost ideologically opposed to a score editor.
If you don't think that either Finale or Sibelious or any other of the dedicated notation programs deliver, how do you think Reaper would be able to? I use both Finale and Sib and they are both feature rich. Why duplicate the effort?

-Kevin
Old 12-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #25
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappadave View Post
Groove Quantize?=
would be nice (I started the FR about it, a long time ago) however, I am not sure I would call this a major feature. It's MAJORLY wanted, but from a non-coders perspective, it's not something that seems like will change the face of things too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zappadave View Post
Score Editor?
now although this is in less demand, would be a MAJOR feature simply due to the undertaking in development that would be required - imo - and also the support of such a feature.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #26
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Bardyuzha View Post
In-project ghosts please!!!!!
again, from a non-coder's standpoint -

not a major feature.

do i really, really need it? yes, more than any midi feature currently.

but to enable such a thing does not seem like "major"
Old 12-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #27
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFO View Post
If you don't think that either Finale or Sibelious or any other of the dedicated notation programs deliver, how do you think Reaper would be able to? I use both Finale and Sib and they are both feature rich. Why duplicate the effort?

-Kevin
yeah I did my first simple score for a guitar lesson on tuesday in finale, and after learning the shortcuts, man is it fast!
Old 12-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #28
zappadave

I think that version 4.0 so far seems light on the music creation side, but richer in functional updates.
I was basically happy with version 3.0 functionally, with a few upgrades needed. Things like Groove Quantize, Score Editor, Audio Warping, automation clips/items and midi cc editing improvements were FR's I expected, and still hope will appear in version 4.0 update cycle. I will be disappointed if most of these don't appear.
So far, the version 3 update seemed more exiting than version 4.0. This is probably due to my personal tastes and will excite others more. So I wait in hope of more to come.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #29
pbk

We need some elegant CC (et al.) editing capabilities, like an improved version of Cakewalk INS files or an enhanced reabank format.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #30
pbognar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
would be nice (I started the FR about it, a long time ago) however, I am not sure I would call this a major feature. It's MAJORLY wanted, but from a non-coders perspective, it's not something that seems like will change the face of things too much.

now although this is in less demand, would be a MAJOR feature simply due to the undertaking in development that would be required - imo - and also the support of such a feature.
<broken record mode = "ON">

Whenever the "N" word is used, REAPER users (those who don't need or want it) jump to the conclusion that what some of us would like is a full blown engraving quality program built into REAPER.

Not even close.

I just want to be able to enter or edit MIDI note data on a staff view please. If I want to print, I'll gladly send the MIDI data over to a dedicated notation program.

As for exporting to another program just to edit the MIDI note data - what a major workflow buzz kill. Not only that, you'd be messing with the data in a vacuum - it would be nice to see the notes in the context of the track view and the audio tracks.

<broken record mode = "OFF">
Old 12-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #31
LFO

Ok, so at the risk of sounding disappointed...

I've played with v4 MIDI and I am underwhelmed. Perhaps I was living in fantasy land based on all the FRs that I've been supporting. I really thought we would see some major changes and improvements to the MIDI editor. Maybe Cockos just hasn't implemented it yet in the alpha code, I've no clue. I sure do hope so.

MIDI tabs or just being able to select multiple MIDI tracks (ala DP) would have been a very welcome addition. Smoother CC data editing (ala FL) would have been terrific. The list goes on and on.

I guess the audio side has to be the priority, but dang it us MIDI folks need love too! Lol!

Don't get me wrong, MIDI is perfectly functional for me currently. I can get done what I need to do. It just isn't as convenient or fast as with competing products.

What do you guys think? Am I whining? I hope not! Just want to voice that the lack of a significant MIDI editor is missed by at least one MIDI head.

-Kevin
Old 12-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #32
pbognar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFO View Post
Ok, so at the risk of sounding disappointed...

I've played with v4 MIDI and I am underwhelmed. Perhaps I was living in fantasy land based on all the FRs that I've been supporting. I really thought we would see some major changes and improvements to the MIDI editor. Maybe Cockos just hasn't implemented it yet in the alpha code, I've no clue. I sure do hope so.

MIDI tabs or just being able to select multiple MIDI tracks (ala DP) would have been a very welcome addition. Smoother CC data editing (ala FL) would have been terrific. The list goes on and on.

I guess the audio side has to be the priority, but dang it us MIDI folks need love too! Lol!

Don't get me wrong, MIDI is perfectly functional for me currently. I can get done what I need to do. It just isn't as convenient or fast as with competing products.

What do you guys think? Am I whining? I hope not! Just want to voice that the lack of a significant MIDI editor is missed by at least one MIDI head.

-Kevin
There is still hope - see post #2.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #33
plamuk

yall put too much weight into the importance of a point release
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #34
EvilDragon

Post #2 is encouraging, sure, but MIDI in Reaper absolutely needs more than just one major MIDI functionality added. More like, 10.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #35
dub3000

After playing with the alpha for a bit, I am under the impression that a lot of work done on midi hasn't been included yet - there are a couple of new bugs that suggest some changes under the covers.

The alpha cycle still has months probably, I'd definitely hold off on freaking out for a bit (still convinced there won't be notation support though).
Old 12-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #36
ceanganb

Hoping for something like VST Expression in Cubase, basic notation features maybe. And, certainly, improvements in CC handling.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #37
pbognar

Quote:
Post #2 is encouraging, sure, but MIDI in Reaper absolutely needs more than just one major MIDI functionality added. More like, 10.
"at least one major MIDI feature in the works for v4."
Old 12-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #38
jens

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbognar View Post
As for exporting to another program just to edit the MIDI note data - what a major workflow buzz kill.
as I already mentioned you can open the MIDI-items via secondary-editor (by action) - so there's not need to export them at all... just saying.
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #39
pbognar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
as I already mentioned you can open the MIDI-items via secondary-editor (by action) - so there's not need to export them at all... just saying.
I hear you. I played around with Music Master Works as a secondary editor about 2 years ago.

But as I recall, you can't have the two programs playback at the same time - one of the two programs has a lock on the MIDI file at a time. In order to hear your edits in the secondary editor, you'd have to close out and play in REAPER (unless I'm missing something).

Don't get me wrong - I realize that I'm in the minority. I understand that REAPER will evolve as a collaboration between the dev's vision and input from a majority of the userbase.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #40
fuseburn

Quote:
I'm afraid, the only instance to judge over what is essential and what not is the feature request tracker. And, obviously, developers' personal taste.