Old 07-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
TabbyCat
Human being with feelings

Default Remap Auto ID#s - need advice

Hi Kids!

I have a working OSC control template using Open Stage Control, and have a .js module doing additional message formatting where needed.

My problem is the way the FX Params are passed from Reaper via OSC - they are sent in the order they occur in the plugin's Automation ID table. This is not helpful if the parameter I want to control is #87 in this list - I have to scroll though multiple control pages to get to it. (For example my current DEVICE_FX_PARAM_COUNT = 8, so in the above example this would mean 10 pages of scrolling in my OSC client).

What I need is a way to re-map the plugin's automation IDs. I haven't seen a way to do this in Reaper itself - in most DAWs there is a way to set up "macro controls" (Ableton/Bitwig), "quick controls" (Cubase), or the like -- which take a user-selected collection of controls and condense them in to 8-16 mappable targets. Doesn't seem possible in Reaper...?

I see that I can do ad-hoc MIDI/OSC mappings and save them with the FX chain, but this forfeits bi-directional control.

Would love if I could pull my 16 or so FX Param targets and get feedback only for those. So: has anyone else been down this road? Is this possible programatically, e.g. using OSCII-bot? I looked at the reg-ex style OSCII-bot syntax and tried not to have a panic attack But, I'll do it if it's possible (even only if in theory!).

Cheers all!
TabbyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #2
TabbyCat
Human being with feelings

So the way I've solved this is to handle it all on the OSC client side (Open Stage Control).

First I set the param bank size in Reaper to an artificially high amount so I can pull in all the fxparam values/names for the plugin.

I then dump all the fxparam values/names into a multidimensional array, and parse it out in whatever order I want them to appear. I do this by re-assigning OSC addresses for the various Open Stage Control knobs/sliders at runtime. (Fortunately Open Stage Control allows you to manipulate OSC addresses for its controls via code, even after initialization).

I can't say it's the most "elegant" solution, but it's working.
TabbyCat is offline   Reply With Quote