Old 07-02-2021, 01:51 PM   #1
Zeno
Human being with feelings

Default Ambisonic novice needs help!

Hey guys, I need your help. I have absolutely no experience with ambisonic and want to make my first attempts with multichannel formats. I downloaded the IEM Plug-in Suite and Wigware AmbiFreeverb 2 and am trying to get them to work together. But here I already run into the first problem. I'll describe it briefly:
I have created a send from a drum bus. The receive track has 4 channels. On the FX insert is IEM StereoEncoder to convert the signal to 1st order ambisonic, AmbiFreeverb 2 and then BinauralDecoder to get a stereo signal back.

Well, the problem is that the last 3 parameters of AmbiFreeverb 2 don't seem to do what they should do. Back pushes the panorama to the right and Front pushes it to the left. Left-Right and Down-Up do something, but also not what they should. And I am completely stumped. I have changed the pin routing a bit...

...and at least the L-R parameter works now, and the Down-up parameter seems to be in actually front-back, but I'm not sure. Front-Back, on the other hand, seems to do something completely different, but I don't understand what it does. Does anyone have any idea what the solution to the problem is?

Last edited by Zeno; 07-02-2021 at 02:09 PM.
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:37 PM   #2
sguyader

I'm also a noob in Ambisonic, but it reminds me what happens when you mix 2 different types of Ambisonic formats: there's the older FuMa format, and the newer Ambix format. One key difference between both, is the order of the 4 channels in FOA: the order is WXYZ for FuMa, and WYZX for Ambix.

i know that the IEM plugins work in Ambix format, so check that the AmbiFreeVerb2 plugin works in Ambix as well, otherwise you have to find a way convert the format to (before the reverb) and back from (after the reverb) FuMa. I found this free plugin: https://www.noisemakers.fr/ambi-converter/
There are probably other plugins that do the same conversion operation.

Last edited by sguyader; 07-02-2021 at 05:41 PM.
sguyader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:32 PM   #3
Zeno

Yes thank you, that's it! I now use JS: WigWare Ambi signal Remap, works great.
I will also try the Ambi Converter
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:41 PM   #4
sguyader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
Yes thank you, that's it! I now use JS: WigWare Ambi signal Remap, works great.
I will also try the Ambi Converter
Glad I helped!
sguyader is offline   Reply With Quote