Old 10-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
Triode
Human being with feelings

Default v5.96+dev1009 - October 9 2018

v5.96+dev1009 - October 9 2018
  • + API: fix incorrect playback following updating item state via GetSetMediaItemInfo() [t=209873]
  • + Comps: include item mute state in take comps
  • + Project bay: fix take-selection issues when removing source media from project
  • + Takes: add option for smart take lane reconciliation when switching takes [t=210747]
  • + Takes: delete active take has improved behavior when smart take reconciliation is enabled
  • # ARA: communicate REAPER project measure offset to ARA
  • # ARA: do not adjust imported or recorded audio tempo without user intervention
  • # ARA: enable REAPER undo management for ARA plugins
  • # Takes: use smart take lane reconciliation option when switching takes via lane-click
  • # Takes: use smart take reconciliation option when going to next/previous take via action
  • # Takes: use smart take reconciliation when selecting take via action/menu
Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 10-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #2
Triode

dev1009 .... Is this a (railway) track-laying exercise (not enough numbers before 6?)

Looking forward to trying new takes options
Many thanks
Old 10-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
cfillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
dev1009 .... Is this a (railway) track-laying exercise (not enough numbers before 6?)
There's a new notice on Landoleet:

Quote:
Notes on versioning (the numbers here are for example purposes only):

1. 596: release version (though if it is here, it means it has likely not yet been released)

2. 597pre1, 597rc1: pre-release versions. The functionality of this version will usually
(though not always) end up in the next release.

3. 596+dev1009: development version. Includes functionality that will likely not end up in
the next release (and may not end up in any release, ever). The version number of these
builds includes the last release/pre-release that build was based on, and the four digit
number following +dev references the month and day the build was made.

Last edited by cfillion; 10-09-2018 at 09:39 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
Mercado_Negro

This "takes reconciliation" option is really nice. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
Mercado_Negro

Re-enabling REAPER undo management for ARA plug-ins looks promising, seems fluid so far. I have to test it on a big project, though.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #6
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Re-enabling REAPER undo management for ARA plug-ins looks promising, seems fluid so far. I have to test it on a big project, though.
Definitely keep an eye on any negative performance effects.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
There's a new notice on Landoleet:
Aha! Thanks
Old 10-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
Jae.Thomas

this might be an ongoing thing, but moving items around after having them going to Melodyne ARA is very slow...
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #9
Sexan

thank you for playback bug
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #10
musicbynumbers

+ Takes: add option for smart take lane reconciliation when switching takes [t=210747]

This sounds exciting. I had a look through that thread though and I can find reference to what a "smart take" is.

I guess I can try later when near reaper but if there's any info on what's been added, that would be appreciated!
Old 10-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #11
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
This sounds exciting. I had a look through that thread though and I can find reference to what a "smart take" is.
Probably this: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=157
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
[*]+ Takes: add option for smart take lane reconciliation when switching takes [t=210747]
Could I get an explanation of the scenarios where this would be useful? (I saw the gif, just want text to make sure I'm not dumb)

I'm trying it with some take setups, and I want to make sure I understand its use before I start reporting issues.

Thank you.

Last edited by Robert Randolph; 10-09-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #13
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Thanks, I'll take a look.. I'm hoping this is a cleaner take system option like you have in Logic.. Will check that link
Old 10-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #14
EvilDragon

It's not quite like that. See GIF that Justin posted.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #15
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
It's not quite like that. See GIF that Justin posted.
Yeah.. Saw that now.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #16
Robert Randolph

Ok, I think this can't be correct:

This is with smart reconcile turned on.

When it's assumed that take 4 is the 'performance', smart reconcile no longer works because it seems act like any take lane with preceding content is the anchor point.

The smart reconcile behaviour, as I understand it so far, is excellent except it fails when there's a take that has a 'pickup' that precedes the other takes.

The only solution I can think of is that the smart reconcile feature needs a way to know what the 'master' is for it to cycle in a manner that is consistent with what constitutes a performance.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #17
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Ok, I think this can't be correct:

This is with smart reconcile turned on.

When it's assumed that take 4 is the 'performance', smart reconcile no longer works because it seems act like any take lane with preceding content is the anchor point.

The smart reconcile behaviour, as I understand it so far, is excellent except it fails when there's a take that has a 'pickup' that precedes the other takes.

The only solution I can think of is that the smart reconcile feature needs a way to know what the 'master' is for it to cycle in a manner that is consistent with what constitutes a performance.
Ah, "Take: Activate take under mouse" needs to be updated to use the reconciliation mode -- when selecting take lane 4 on the middle items that lack media in that lane, it should select lane 3.

Side note:

The use case of the reconcilation mode is that you would often start by recording a performance, as the first take. Then, you'd overdub various parts multiple times.

In this case, if you select multiple items and choose a take lane, you'd want to use the media in that lane if available, and if not, use the previous lane that has media (since in that instance the overdub applied in that lane did not modify that item other than adding an empty lane).
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #18
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Ah, "Take: Activate take under mouse" needs to be updated to use the reconciliation mode -- when selecting take lane 4 on the middle items that lack media in that lane, it should select lane 3.
I tried a few other methods of setting the active takes, and none of them seem to update the reconciliation mode correctly.

Quote:
Side note:

The use case of the reconcilation mode is that you would often start by recording a performance, as the first take. Then, you'd overdub various parts multiple times.

In this case, if you select multiple items and choose a take lane, you'd want to use the media in that lane if available, and if not, use the previous lane that has media (since in that instance the overdub applied in that lane did not modify that item other than adding an empty lane).
Ok cool. I got it.

I'm pretty sure a number of the 'bugs' I'm seeing are related to the issue I posted above. I'll refrain from posting more until the next build.

The reconciliation mode works nicely whether 'Show all takes in lanes (when room)' option is turned on.

When 'Show all takes in lanes (when room)' is turned off, switching takes is not consistent. Which takes are selected while cycling is different depending on the take lane display. I know this is an old bug (reported in that silly thread I started), but it's a fairly stark contrast to how the smart reconciliation mode works (i.e. correctly) now.

It seemingly would correct issues 2, 5, 9 and 15 in https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=210747

My apologies if this falls into the "not part of this release" realm, but it does seem related in my brain.

I appreciate your time working on this. The new mode looks like it will be fantastic.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #19
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
When 'Show all takes in lanes (when room)' is turned off, switching takes is not consistent. Which takes are selected while cycling is different depending on the take lane display. I know this is an old bug (reported in that silly thread I started), but it's a fairly stark contrast to how the smart reconciliation mode works (i.e. correctly) now.
That is correct -- cycling takes via T/Shift+T works differently depending on the take-lane display -- but only when the new mode is not enabled (if the new mode is enabled, it should behave consistently without depending on the state of the take-lane setting).

So you're also saying that the take-selection logic should be independent of the take-lane view option (and should be the behavior when take-lanes are visible). I'm inclined to agree.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:59 PM   #20
Robert Randolph

Quote:
So you're also saying that the take-selection logic should be independent of the take-lane view option (and should be the behavior when take-lanes are visible). I'm inclined to agree.
Yes, and I feel like there's an excellent reason for this:

When having takes in a single lane, the "Show takes in lanes (when room)" changes the behaviour of switching even though the graphical representation of the data is the same.

It can be rather confusing when you switch the "Show takes in lanes (when room)" option off to reduce visual clutter, but suddenly your takes are getting all messed up.

Last edited by Robert Randolph; 10-09-2018 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Oops. Trying to be kid-friendly.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:07 PM   #21
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, and I feel like there's an excellent reason for this:

When having takes in a single lane, the "Show takes in lanes (when room)" changes the behaviour of switching even though the graphical representation of the data is the same.

It can be rather confusing when you switch the "Show takes in lanes (when room)" option off to reduce visual clutter, but suddenly your takes are getting all messed up.
Yeah, and generally speaking a view option shouldn't affect the editing behavior...