COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 11-16-2016, 11:14 PM   #1
bmelonhead
Human being with feelings

Default How important is 32 bit support for today's plugins?

It looks like you have to go back to core duo machines on the mac side and that seems quite old. Certainly there are some people on 32 bit machines that are still actively adding plugins, but any idea what percentage of the users would fall in this category? Do you think it is different for mac vs win?
bmelonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:10 AM   #2
Tale

Note that you will also need 32-bit plug-ins if you run a 32-bit host (even though your Mac might be 64-bit).

I can't really help you with your question though... I guess I won't drop 32-bit support for Mac anytime soon, simply because it is rather easy to provide a binary with both 32 and 64-bit inside.
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #3
bmelonhead

Good point about the host audio app. It is easy to predict that hardware will naturally obsolete itself, but software apps are more tricky. My problem is that I need to link in some libraries and it is getting more difficult to get universal versions of those. Using homebrew, I want to stick to "brew install <lib> -universal" or similar, but that option is becoming scarce. So, I have to download the full source of lib and manually build/install. Maybe I'm just being lazy.
bmelonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
bozmillar

I don't have any real way of knowing exactly how many of my users use the 32 bit version of my plugins, but I do know that at least 2 people do.