COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 10-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
Sativa
Human being with feelings

Default Video editing software similar to a DAW?

Is there any video editing software that has similar editing capabilities to a DAW? e.g., "FX"(things that process the frames in a video) and envelopes(things that control, with respect to time, parameters of the FX).
Old 10-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
karbomusic

Sony Vegas since Reaper was loosely patterned after it.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
TimOBrien

As I've been suggesting it for years: Sony Vegas Studio is the Reaper of video editors.

80% of the full version and usually less than $50.
Runs you PC audio vsts too.

I used to do commercial work on it. I've done 2-hour airshows and multi-camera plays, too.

When I switched to Mac, I put on Win7 using Parallels so I could continue using it.
(And it runs far better on my iMac than on my old Xp laptop.)
Old 10-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
Sativa

cool, how does vegas stack up against premier? Are they essentially the same or different purposes?
Old 10-21-2014, 04:11 AM   #5
boka

I used to use Vegas for several years but switched to Premiere because of the tight integration with After Effects.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
Fran Guidry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sativa View Post
Is there any video editing software that has similar editing capabilities to a DAW? e.g., "FX"(things that process the frames in a video) and envelopes(things that control, with respect to time, parameters of the FX).
If your NLE (Non Linear Editor, video equivalent of DAW) does not do these things it is a toy or obsolete.

Fran
Old 10-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
Banned

Resolume may fit the bill, although perhaps more analogous to a sequencer (for VJs etc.) than an editing suite. Max/MSP/Jitter is also popular among video ( / multimedia) artists.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
SamuelC

Without a Doubt Vegas. Anything you toss it works no trancoding nonsense needed since it does not rely on Quicktime for anything "aka Media Composer nonsense"

Uses VST's and VSTi's, you can record tracks right on the timeline basicaly as you do in Reaper.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
LBP

Default Lightworks

Lightworks is very nice and a fair price too. I moved from Media Composer to Lightworks and to me Lightworks is like Reaper ie: affordable and surprisingly small. It is also the only decent editor I know for Windows, Mac and Linux.

But it is a video editor, so lacks some of the compositing functionality and lacking in the sound department (just an EQ)and on Windows the Titler (Pro version) is pretty basic and jaggy but the rather like Reaper the developers listen and updates are pretty frequent.

The free version is limited to 720p output and no titling.

http://www.lwks.com/

Last edited by LBP; 10-29-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:40 PM   #10
Mr. Data

Quote:
cool, how does vegas stack up against premier? Are they essentially the same or different purposes?
I don't know the newer versions of Premiere, but the versions I know concentrated mainly on video. Editing audio was more than cumbersome and somewhat a stepchild. All in all, working with Premiere I always found cumbersome and all but intuitive.

As Karbo already stated, Vegas is more or less like Reaper. Even many of the default shortcuts are the same. You could use Vegas for audio only, if you wanted to, but Vegas opposed to Reaper has no MIDI functionality except syncing.

I'd say, if you're happy with Reaper to work with, then go for Vegas, 'cos 'workflow-wise' it isn't a big deal to switch between them if ever at all.

-Data
Old 10-30-2014, 03:43 AM   #11
LBP

I've looked at Vegas on a few occasions and really wanted to like it but it never quite clicked with me as it was always very different to other Editors then I found out that it was based on Soundforge which would explain it's differences and it's excellent sound tools for an editor.

I know a few people that swear by it and produce very good stuff using Vegas now I've started using Reaper it may all seem a bit more familiar now and one thing I've learnt over the years when switching editors is to forget the way you used to do it and understand the way the new software normally wants you to do it which unfortunately I discovered after trying Vegas.

Good luck.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:57 AM   #12
heda

Vegas is the one that resembles Reaper most but I wish Cockos would create a video editing software like it but with Reaper's core features and actions. Once you use Reaper, you can't use any other software without missing the actions window.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:25 AM   #13
Mr. Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
Vegas is the one that resembles Reaper most but I wish Cockos would create a video editing software like it but with Reaper's core features and actions. Once you use Reaper, you can't use any other software without missing the actions window.
Actually, Vegas began as a multitrack audio editor as well. Maybe there's hope.

-Data
Old 10-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #14
BenK-msx

any excuse for me to beg for the simple addition of video recording/capture into reaper directly, in sync with any audio - would be extremely handy, and dare i say easy to add. we can display encode re-encode, but not capture!

currently requires faffing with a tiny 3rd utility to capture then dragging said file into reaper and aligning it manually to audio. not so fun.

multitude of uses.

throw in just a couple more basic editing features and many of us wouldn't need any other video app.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #15
IconDigitalUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Sony Vegas since Reaper was loosely patterned after it.
I did tech support for Vegas/Acid/Sound Forge/etc for ~3 years, and this is the best option by far.

It is a multi-tracking audio/video editor with full VST, HD, and video capture support. I used to use it to make anything from tutorial videos for YouTube to entire beatmatched DJ mixes using the awesome control-drag time stretching. It's pretty easy to do things like picture-in-picture, splitscreens, cool pan or wipe transitions, etc.

It's a full-featured video editor as well. It can do anything from custom per-frame video masking, Chroma Keying(blue/green/any color you want screen), Luma Keying (remove black or white backgrounds on things)and a ton more.

Cheers,

Rob
Old 10-30-2014, 01:18 PM   #16
ginormous

Icon, does Vegas have a freeware version, as Acid does?
Old 10-31-2014, 08:42 AM   #17
IconDigitalUSA

No freeware version that I'm aware of, but if you're a student they have super cheap Academic versions of the full software. They also do the Movie Studio version which runs around $60-80 as far as I know, but has a large number of the same features as the full version.

Cheers,

Rob
Old 10-31-2014, 02:02 PM   #18
cyrano

Just a few possibilities from the open source community:

http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

http://www.jahshaka.com/
Old 11-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #19
Sativa

Quote:
Originally Posted by IconDigitalUSA View Post
I did tech support for Vegas/Acid/Sound Forge/etc for ~3 years, and this is the best option by far.

It is a multi-tracking audio/video editor with full VST, HD, and video capture support. I used to use it to make anything from tutorial videos for YouTube to entire beatmatched DJ mixes using the awesome control-drag time stretching. It's pretty easy to do things like picture-in-picture, splitscreens, cool pan or wipe transitions, etc.

It's a full-featured video editor as well. It can do anything from custom per-frame video masking, Chroma Keying(blue/green/any color you want screen), Luma Keying (remove black or white backgrounds on things)and a ton more.

Cheers,

Rob
Hey! You sound like you know what you are talking about!!

What I'd like to do is use envelopes to control things like mixing/fading, RGB stuff, or whatever parameters I want(thresholds, etc....)... similar to how reaper can do it by creating assignable envelopes. Can Vegas essentially do that with video? (and are there video plugins like VSTs are for audio? (filters/effects similar to photoshop, etc.)
Old 11-06-2014, 12:32 AM   #20
Sarasota

Quote:

I use Avid Media Composer (kind of expensive)... However, I'm really digging HitFilm 2 Ultimate!!! HitFilm 2U may look simple from a layout perspective when first started, but it's awesome / powerful compositing and other editing features are very slick... They have a demo online to try... I guess it really depends on what you are looking for, and what you need to edit....

Give it a try......

Vegas, After Effects, and Premier are all great too... There are so many NLE's out there (test them all before commiting)....
Old 11-06-2014, 06:31 AM   #21
LBP

There are some more recommendations on this thread.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=148696

I think the only NLE like a DAW will be Vegas as it was derived from Sound Forge.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:55 AM   #22
3dmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasota View Post
I use Avid Media Composer (kind of expensive)... However, I'm really digging HitFilm 2 Ultimate!!! HitFilm 2U may look simple from a layout perspective when first started, but it's awesome / powerful compositing and other editing features are very slick... They have a demo online to try... I guess it really depends on what you are looking for, and what you need to edit....

Give it a try......

Vegas, After Effects, and Premier are all great too... There are so many NLE's out there (test them all before commiting)....
Yes, HF2 is a great program. Also, HF3 was just announced and will have more advanced editing capabilities. I think it will be released by the end of Nov.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #23
Sinner

I demoed a bunch recently and had time encoding issues in everything but Sony Vegas.

However, I don't really know what the hell I'm doing in video.

But - bottom line for me, dragging in video, like the band lip, finger, drum stick syncing, over wav files and painstakingly aligning them in the software would result in unsync'd stuff in all but Vegas.

Last edited by Sinner; 11-06-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #24
IconDigitalUSA

Quote:
What I'd like to do is use envelopes to control things like mixing/fading, RGB stuff, or whatever parameters I want(thresholds, etc....)... similar to how reaper can do it by creating assignable envelopes. Can Vegas essentially do that with video? (and are there video plugins like VSTs are for audio? (filters/effects similar to photoshop, etc.)
Yes, you can do all these things.

To clarify, all audio parameters that are shown to Vegas(exposed by VSTs or on the included directx effects - which actually rock)can be controlled directly with the same envelopes you're familiar with from any DAW system. You click to add or remove points and drag them to the shape you want. It also has built-in curve shapes you can choose instead of linear fades between points.

For everything video, however, it doesn't work exactly the same. The only things for video I have used with an envelope are Fade to Black/White(top of the track is white, bottom is black, middle is no fade), or the playback speed(which I think they call velocity?). Everything else done for video is done in keyframes on a timeline directly within the effect window.

You drop an effect on the video file and it will open a window with all the effect parameters. You can then click on the mini timeline at the bottom of the window to set keyframes for any parameters along the length of a video clip.

Transitions are similarly keyframeable so you can have very specific cuts and fades. To use transitions, you just drag video so it overlaps on the same channel a little, then drop a transition on the overlap.

It's really the best combined audio/video editor I've used, and their latest Pro version works comfortably with everything up to 4K and has professional-level capture and encoding(SDI, XDCAM, AVC..etc)

Cheers,

Rob
Old 11-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #25
Sativa

Thanks, I'll check out Vegas first as it looks like it will be closest to what I want. After that I'll try the others... Probably use a combination of the best 2.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #26
gofer
-blänk-

Just as an aside, have a look at the latest two entries in Justin's blog: http://www.blorp.com/. Best start with the earlier one from October 28 2014 (don't fret the code snippet, the interesting read is below the video).

Even if we won't see any of it in the near future, because "You can't go put half-baked, poor performing, completely-programmer-oriented video features into a 9 year old program." I find it a very promising read.