Old 07-16-2006, 11:02 AM   #1
winbe
Human being with feelings

Default Phrazor: all the opposite of Reaper ?

Hello,

just tried to download Phrazor...
I played 5 minutes with it, with the tutorial, and my god, this thing is soo complicated !? Why make things complicated ?

The first thing I usually am looking for is: setup my MIDI.
Here I only found the midi ports, but I could not say which device I wanted to use as input.

Then I loaded some examples, the sound was fine, so I wanted to find the "piano roll", or an equivalent, I could not find it.

I am probably be totally dumb (I am a mere java developer) but Reaper was sooo intuitive and easy to use that I feel so stupid when in front of Phrazor...

Fruity loops gave me the same feeling, but at least I managed to get some sounds...

So I thank Justin for Reaper which is incredibly intuitive !!

Phrazor is all the opposite for me: looks terribly complicated even for simple tasks... to be honest, I still don't know what Phrazor is supposed to do !! I mean I don't know how it works, at all (loops, 16 beat patterns)...

Last edited by winbe; 07-16-2006 at 11:41 AM.
winbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
kejkz

It is little harder at start, but u get used to it. You can create layered synths with ease and wide possibilities. Piano and drum roll are great! There are so many thing to find under a hood of this tool.
kejkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
Newbie Brad

No disrespect intended, I find it more accessible than Reaper in its VST handling and that it handles live performance events with an ease. I find it combines with Reaper to fill the void I was hoping Justin would add to Reaper a "live mode" or "performance mode". And it's migratable to platforms other than Reaper.
Newbie Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 07:31 PM   #4
pipelineaudio
Mortal

vst or vsti?

I find reapers VST handling better than any other app out there as you can save and load presets without the fxp fxb stuff
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:01 PM   #5
RokkD

When fxp/fxp handling is done correctly, it's much better than presets saved with the host, a preset can be made in another host, then used in Reaper, and visa versa, presets can be bought, sold, and shared, I have a ton of fxps Iv'e made in other hosts.
Other apps I use CW, and Tracktion, handle both, Reaper still needs a little work when it comes to fxp/fxb handling.

--
RokkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:10 PM   #6
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Ive never seen fxp/fxb handled in a way I want to work, it always seems to save with the plug or project, I just want it universal, thats why I like this preset system, I can ignore the whole deal
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:48 PM   #7
RokkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio
Ive never seen fxp/fxb handled in a way I want to work, it always seems to save with the plug or project, I just want it universal, thats why I like this preset system, I can ignore the whole deal
Just create an fxp folder anywhere for a particular plugin, fxp presets placed in that folder are now universal, non fxp presets saved in Reaper are not universal, which is fine if Reaper is the only app you're ever going to use.

--
Old 07-17-2006, 01:22 AM   #8
orabidoo

for synths like asynth ,imposcar,all synthedit stuff there are a lot of banks that u cant use in reaper .
orabidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:17 AM   #9
RokkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by orabidoo
for synths like asynth ,imposcar,all synthedit stuff there are a lot of banks that u cant use in reaper .
Hmmm....I haven't had that problem, if it's on my system somewhere, I'll find it and load it.....problem is Reaper doesn't remember the last folder, so it's quite a journey back to my fxp/fxb folder everytime. I was having a problem with fxps made in Reaper, crashing Tracktion, but that seems to be cleared up now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio
I find reapers VST handling better than any other app out there as you can save and load presets without the fxp fxb stuff
fxp/fxbs are really designed for synths, I rarely save fxps for vst effects, but after spending hours creating pads and soundscapes on a rather complex synth, I want to be able to use them elsewhere, and also back them up on a cd.

--
Old 07-17-2006, 12:35 PM   #10
orabidoo

really u can load fxb banks?now i try a clean installation
Old 07-17-2006, 12:59 PM   #11
orabidoo

no dont work and in some istruments like voyager o iblit appear a message like "to do load bank tha arent opaque"....
Old 07-17-2006, 01:58 PM   #12
RokkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by orabidoo
no dont work and in some istruments like voyager o iblit appear a message like "to do load bank tha arent opaque"....
Sorry orabidoo, I was thinking of individual fxps, not fxbs. I never have much luck making my own banks, I can't get them to load in Tracktion or Reaper, so I just use fxps. But you're right, banks I have from PatchArena.com and elsewhere, work in Tracktion, but not in Reaper.

--