Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-15-2019, 05:43 AM   #1
Gass n Klang
Human being with feelings

Default Dynamic split on multiple tracks simultaneously: One track as a "split-guide"

hey guys,
is it somehow possible to use one track as a kind of "split guide" when cutting items of a multitrack performance via dynamic split?

e.g. I'd like to use the kick drum for my split positions but i want to cut through all drum tracks.
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:50 AM   #2
karbomusic

Select and group the items (G), then Right-click the grouping button on the main toolbar and uncheck "selecting one item selects group", then make sure "Split selected and grouped items" is chosen in Dynamic Split - this will restrain Dyanmic split to the kick but will split all the items in the group.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:52 AM   #3
Gass n Klang

that was fast. thanks! another situation where track grouping (instead of item grouping) could be extremly helpful...

Last edited by Gass n Klang; 08-15-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 01:34 PM   #4
doghouse

Default the answer is useless

old thread, i know. But i was wondering the same question as the op.
The answer from karbomusic is no help. The point is that one item should be the leader, i mean that the other grouped items should be split at the same position as the "lead item".
I want to split multiple drumtracks were the snare track is the easiest and most important track to split. The way karbomusic suggestet all grouped items were split but independently.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 04:11 PM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
The point is that one item should be the leader, i mean that the other grouped items should be split at the same position as the "lead item".
That's exactly what I explained does so there must be something in the explanation (mine or yours) that is getting lost in translation; or maybe you missed a step?

In other words in the picture below, the top track is the "leader" and all the splits in the lower two tracks are split where dynamic split decided for the top leader track only:

Keep in mind, I just randomly dragged tracks in, these aren't supposed to align just so you know - I did it that way on purpose, to make it obvious that the top track is the "leader" for DS.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:44 PM   #6
EpicSounds

this can be messed up by having all items selected. The guide must be the only thing selected.

"Selecting one item selects group" must be OFF, OR Item Grouping OFF in the main toolbar.

I usually create a guide from a render of kick and snare + transient shaping. Group it to the drums, and bypass grouping.

You can see in Karbomusic's images that only the items on the top track are selected, but grouping is on, meaning he has "Selecting one item selects group" is off.

Last edited by EpicSounds; 05-23-2023 at 01:00 AM. Reason: fixed typo
EpicSounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 10:29 PM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
You can see in Karbomusic's images that only the items on the top track are selected, but grouping is on, meaning he has "Selecting one item selects group" is on.
That image was post dynamic split. Off is what allows selecting only one item in the group (in this case the item on the top track) before the splitting. If it were on, it would select all items, including items on the other tracks. Maybe a better name would be "Selecting one item selects all items in group".

Last edited by karbomusic; 05-22-2023 at 10:36 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 10:46 PM   #8
doghouse

Default Great help

you guys are just wonderful. Now i understand, i thought it would be fixed that all grouped items are selectet automatically when one of them is selectet. Guess i will save hundreds of hours when editing drums this way. Thank you so much!
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 01:00 AM   #9
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
That image was post dynamic split. Off is what allows selecting only one item in the group (in this case the item on the top track) before the splitting.[/IMG]
I meant to say yours is Off, and mine is always On. I was distracted by my child as I was typing