Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 08-24-2016, 06:06 AM   #1
Soli Deo Gloria
Human being with feelings

Default Native Preset Management : more flexibility and per instance handling

First of all, excuse me if this has already been requested...I havenīt found a proper request such as this but I might be wrong.

Native preset management, as it stands, is not precisely what I would call "flexible". You can only save/recall presets in a global fashion (that is, user presets appear on every instance of the plug). There seems to be no easy way to have a dedicated bank of presets for every instance of a FX (I mean, at least without having to deal with .ini files and all of that, which in itself would be a total mess for many of us).

Regarding this, Native Instrumentsīsynths (mainly FM8, Absynth and Massive come to mind right now, which are the ones I use most) are, in my opinion, exemplary...you can activate/deactivate a bank of 128 programs per instance in which you can load anything that is included in the global database : internal, third party and user presets are easily arranged in the bank and you can have a dedicated list per instance.

Now, if we could just have a way to manage presets more flexibly, with options to have global and/or per instance user libraries, it would be remarkably more useful. When you import a .RPL library, for example, the imported presets are added to the existing list, so you end up with a massive list of all prresets for all projects. Deletion of user presets seems to be done one by one, if Iīm not mistaken. At the very least, .RPL libraries should have the possibility to be saved/recall per instance, in my opinion.

Please, correct me if Iīm wrong in some of my statements, but I havenīt found an easy way to handle presets per FX instance. I also donīt know if this section of the forum is attended at all, but I canīt help suggesting this since it would be of great help with, for example, something like Live Configs from the SWS Extensions...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:39 AM   #2
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
I havenīt found an easy way to handle presets per FX instance.
How easy do you want it to be ?

I use a (very small) self-made JSFX that sends out a program change message (defined by a slider) when activated. Now I use SWS LiveConfigs to change global patches and in each appropriate "line" of LiveConfigs I set a preset of that JSFX that I stored before with an appropriate name.

Works great, but I admit that this is not exactly "easy".

A decent request could be to to have the makers of SWS update LiveConfigs to send out midi messages to tracks. But I do see that this is not exactly easy to do (I suppose it would need some receiver plugin in the tracks FX chain) and SWS development is not fast these days.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #3
Soli Deo Gloria

Hi mschnell!

The thing is... Reaperīs preset list for each FX is global, isnīt it? I donīt find an easy way to create a dedicated user preset list for each instance of a FX. To have a global list with all presets for all projects is not really workable in my case...
Old 08-24-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
mschnell

Sorry but I don't really understand what you mean.

A "preset" in a plugin (also known as "program", "patch", or "instrument in a bank" in Kontakt speak) is selected by sending a program change message to the plugin. And not (especially not with Kontakt) by loading a Reaper "preset", which is a collection of all published parameters of the plugin and in Kontakt will result in reloading all samples.

So (AFAIK) the only fast way to switch instruments in Kontakt is to organize the instruments in a bank and send a Midi PC message to Kontakt. (I did not research if there is a "bank position" or similar plugin parameter that might be able to be automated by Reaper, as I searched for a method that can be used with any plugin that internally features multiple patches to be be selected.)

That is way I made a JSFX that features a slider with the PC-No to be sent. Now I save multiple Reaper presets for this plugin (and not for the one that creates the sounds) and when loading the preset, simply a Midi PC is sent, that again selects the appropriate patch/instrument in the sound plugin.

-Michael
Old 08-24-2016, 06:34 PM   #5
Soli Deo Gloria

Well, the concepts of preset/patch/bank are understood from the beginning, of course. I think Iīm not explaining myself correctly in english, so Iīll put an example :

Say I have three tracks, each with an instrument and an instance of ReaEQ. Now the issue is : if I want to have a custom preset list for each instance of ReaEQ, I canīt. All I can have is a global user preset list, which appears on every instance in the same way. If I import a .RPL library, it is simply added at the end of the list, so itīs not flexible at all. I simply need to change presets with a list per instance, to set up, for example, different EQ sections for each particular instrument on each track (linking them, i.e., to program changes). Up until now, Reaper presets are handled globally and you can only see a single user presets list on every instance.

Am I explaining it better, now?
Old 08-24-2016, 10:16 PM   #6
mschnell

You can save a preset of any plugin with a name. Same will contain the settings of all parameters of that plugin.

So if you have a track containing Kontakt and RaeEQ and want four sounds/patches, You can do the following:

- Add my little "Slider to Midi PS" plugin before Kontakt to process the Midi Stream
- set Kontakt to the first sound ("instrument in bank") by moving the slider of "Slider to Midi PS" and tweak the EQ
- save a preset (by "+") of both "Slider to Midi PS" and ReaEQ wirh appropriate names.
- do same for the other two sound(patches
- set four "lines" in SWS LiveConfigs" to each load the appropriate presets of "Slider to Midi PS" and ReaEQ.

Now when selecting a line in LiveConfigs, both Kontakt and ReaEQ will switch to the desired setting.

I did not yet use LiveCoinfigs to activate multiple tracks at the same time. I understand that this is possible by using multiple pages "Configs" (that of course can be handled in the way described). I use multiple pages assigned each to a masterkeyboard to independently switch the patches (unmute the appropriate track and push presets to the plugins there) of either.

IMHO for using multiple sound in parallel in such a "live" situation, it's more appropriate to use a single track and do "parallel FX chains" by making use of assigning the "pins" of the plugins to the appropriate channels (up to 64) within an FX "chain" (than is more like a "net" then).

-Michael

Code:
desc:Slider to Midi PS

slider1:1<1,16,1>Midi Channel
slider2:1<1,128,1>PS

@init
 ps = 0xC0-1;
 mes2 = 0;
 mes2old = -1;

@slider
 mes1 = ps + slider1|0;
 mes2 = (slider2|0) - 1;

@block
 mes2 != mes2old ? (
 midisend(0,mes1,mes2);
 mes2old = mes2;
 );

Last edited by mschnell; 08-24-2016 at 10:34 PM.