Old 10-28-2020, 07:21 AM   #1
fsynth
Human being with feelings

Default WOW! its all I can say

After messing with a little Rasberry Pi I decided to install Ubuntu studio on a i5 that was collecting dust.
All I can say is wow linux has come a long way IMHO?
All hardware was plug and play, both my keyboards (Nektar & Arturia), Maudio USB sound.
Heck my little WIFI adapter was even plug and play, When did that happen Lol?

Running Reaper I have all my U-he plugins installed and running :-) add linuxsampler, surge, K1v, Dexed and Obxd :-) This is starting to resemble a real Os\Daw setup, Thanks Cockos.
Hope you all don't mind BUT I'm sure I will have a whole lot of linux questions in the future, still quite the newby.
Goodness I could go on and on I'm so excited :-) Carla running as a vst am able to load .lv2 (lol still wish .lv2 was native to Reaper) OK bummer have to get back to work, will be playing for sure this evening....
fsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:42 AM   #2
EcBaPr

I looked at a Linux distro a few months back also after not having seen it for many years and I pretty much felt the same.. it really should be the OS for the pro audio world and creative type work.. All it would take is 4 or 5 of the main companies to get behind it and that would start a knock on effect... Pro Tools, Steinberg, Waves and Native Instruments.. if those 4 supported it I think all the other plugin and DAWs would follow..
EcBaPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:57 PM   #3
Glennbo

I setup a dual boot Xubuntu/Win7 machine two years ago and recently killed the Win7 partition because I didn't really need Windows any longer.

U-he plugins are exceptional. I bought Presswerk and it is the most expressive compressor I've used to date with it's ability to expand a high pass filtered signal while compressing the primary audio path. Also I love it's fine control over saturation.

Last edited by Glennbo; 10-28-2020 at 09:03 PM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:33 AM   #4
fsynth

A good compressor is one of the things I would miss leaving Windows VST's. Will have to give Presswerk a try. For synths I have Ace, Hive, Zebra and the Repro's. All of them were very easy to install and are running fantastic on linux.
fsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
Glennbo

The mix control at the top right lets you dial uncompressed signal with compressed, but you can hipass filter the uncompressed so that it is brighter and less bassy. If you hit the expand button, then it will expand the uncompressed side when it compresses the other side. Makes it way easy to maintain brightness and intelligibility while using a fair amount of compression.

The saturation section at the bottom lets you warm up the signal and track the dynamics for adding it, and can be switched in pre or post. Presswerk in Linux replaced the PSP Vintage Warmer compressor that I previously used in Windows. Unlike Vintage Warmer, Presswerk works on all three platforms. Mac, Windows, and Linux.

Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote