Old 09-25-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
sodface
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper for musl libc

I haven't actually tried it but I assume the Linux Reaper builds require a glibc based distro. Any chance that future builds might support a musl libc based distro like Alpine Linux or the musl libc variant of Void?
sodface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:32 AM   #2
biopsin

If your into it and have the spare time, you can try building Swell and see how far that takes you. My libswell template on github might get you started. Other then that I can't see this happening anytime soon
Old 04-16-2021, 03:00 AM   #3
sodface

It had not occurred to me to try this until last night but it's possible to run glibc applications from a chroot on Alpine so I created a Void Linux chroot on my Alpine laptop and tried to run Reaper from it. I went from error message to error message installing additional applications to resolve them until this one:

./reaper: symbol lookup error: /root/reaper_linux_x86_64/REAPER/libSwell.so: undefined symbol: gdk_init_check

I've read the other posts with this error, installed multiple gdk and gtk dev and non-dev packages, but it persists. The xeyes app works ok and reamote-server runs so it seems possible to run glibc based cli and GUI applications on Alpine musl.

Any suggestions? Sort of silly really, the easy solution is to just run it on a native glibc distro (like I do with Void on another box) and the chroot I'm testing with is already over a gig, but anyway I'd like to know if I'm missing something or if it's just not possible.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:13 AM   #4
sodface

Ok, disregard... reaper does work. I decided to install another GUI app into the chroot for testing (geany, the text editor) and it pulled in GTK+3 which I thought I had installed already. Haven't really tested it but it does launch and look ok.