Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 02-19-2016, 01:06 PM   #321
bob
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
The REAPER example would look a lot better if it had the Bb Keysig too, wouldn't you say? Why is that? MuseScore doesn't guess keysigs as far as I know.

Durations shown are based on display quantization settings in REAPER, and the Preferences> Import > MIDI 'Shortest note:' setting in MuseScore.

Don't mean to sound dismissive here, but I AM questioning your methodology

The thing you might not be aware of here bob, is that in the forseeable future you could put that REAPER part on the appropriate stave and keysig (which of course REAPER can do already), export in MusicXML and have that open in MuseScore with the bulk of your formatting intact, where you can quickly optimise that for reading and print. Exciting!
It was not too scientific I'll admit.I was just curious to see how the two programms interpreted the same midi file.

Ive no idea why musescore put the keysig in.I simply dropped the file into musescore to see what it came up with.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #322
memyselfandus

If we will be able to make our own plugins for notation view in the future.. There are a ton of ideas over here

http://musicnotation.org/systems/

http://musicnotation.org

Symbol ideas
https://xenharmonic.wikispaces.com/f...w/Sagittal.pdf

Down the road of course

Microtonal markings would be sweet! Especially since we can already do microtonal stuff in reaper and visually in the piano roll!!

Maybe an optional ability to install add on packs for fonts or something?
memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:28 PM   #323
pcartwright

Default Beam bug

The highlighted beam extension are redundant. The extra side beam isn't needed if beams connect.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (25.2 KB, 1029 views)
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:40 PM   #324
pcartwright

Default Triplet - unexpected results

The triplet function seems to give some unexpected results.

First, I added three eighth notes:

Then used the 3:2 tuplet feature. I expected this:

But I got this:

It looks like triplet values expand into their values as converting sixteenths into triplets got the desired result:

but this doesn't seem intuitive to me. In my mind, a 3:2 triplet means "take 3 of these notes and cram them into the space of 2". So the notes should shrink into the triplet and not expand.

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture0.JPG (14.2 KB, 975 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.JPG (12.9 KB, 951 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.JPG (13.5 KB, 937 views)
File Type: jpg capture3.JPG (16.0 KB, 939 views)
Old 02-20-2016, 07:50 AM   #325
pcartwright

Also, only the outer articulation is needed when connected by a stem. The articulations between the noteheads is unnecessary and muddies the visual.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (13.6 KB, 979 views)
Old 02-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #326
reddiesel41264

I mentioned these before but they got swallowed up in the flow of the thread and I can't see them in the FR list on the first page so thought I'd give them a bump (and a little more info)

Actions to:

Set length of next to be inserted or selected notes to dotted
Set length of next to be inserted or selected notes to triplet
-It would be good if these could toggle with the straight version. So dotted/straight, triplet/straight. In general it would be good if all of the articulation actions could have a toggle version as well. So a single key could be used to add and remove a staccato mark for example.

Move cursor to previous note or rest
Move cursor to next note or rest
-These two I thought I had managed to solve using a custom action but it doesn't work well at all.

@pcartwright: I noticed that some of the FRs have now been implemented, did you intend to update the FR list to show this?
Old 02-20-2016, 12:07 PM   #327
pcartwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post

Actions to:

Set length of next to be inserted or selected notes to dotted
Set length of next to be inserted or selected notes to triplet

[...]

@pcartwright: I noticed that some of the FRs have now been implemented, did you intend to update the FR list to show this?
The length of the next note can be dotted and triplet from actions:

1/4. is for a dotted quarter note. Etc.

And yes, I intend to update the list as FR are added and bugs fixed, but it's rather lengthy. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (29.7 KB, 864 views)
Old 02-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #328
pcartwright

Regarding triplets and tuplets - Would it make more sense to have a dialogue box open where users can insert the tuplet ratio instead of having a drop down list?

Just a thought.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:58 PM   #329
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post
The length of the next note can be dotted and triplet from actions:
This is okay but then I need a key assigned to set the next note to quarter note, and I need two more keys for quarter dotted, and quarter triplet - and more keys for all the other durations. It would be simpler to have one key that just takes whatever note length is already selected and make it dotted or triplet, and if pressed again it will return to just the straight time. I don't think this is currently possible. This is the same kind of toggle action that would speed up entering articulation markings.

Quote:
Any help would be appreciated.
Of course!

#6: I think is redundant as it was discussed that setting at the project level isn't very helpful since the key can change throughout a piece and we now have the ability to set the key signature per measure.

#20: We have this now

#22: We've got this too
Old 02-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #330
G-Sun

btw: Really looking forward to the official release,
as I'm in a composing-phase of a song.
Reaper seems much better than Musescore in adjusting notes across bars and moving things around a little.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:17 PM   #331
pcartwright

Quote:
This is okay but then I need a key assigned to set the next note to quarter note, and I need two more keys for quarter dotted, and quarter triplet - and more keys for all the other durations. It would be simpler to have one key that just takes whatever note length is already selected and make it dotted or triplet, and if pressed again it will return to just the straight time. I don't think this is currently possible. This is the same kind of toggle action that would speed up entering articulation markings.
Perhaps. I'll add it to the FR, but I think modifiers would work equally as well.

I've modified my MIDI entry to be similar (not exact) to Notion's input.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (30.4 KB, 1090 views)
Old 02-20-2016, 03:33 PM   #332
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post
Perhaps. I'll add it to the FR, but I think modifiers would work equally as well.
Thanks Yes, modifiers are one solution, but I think a more complicated and slower one.

We need to be able to do three things: turn a selected straight note into a dotted note, turn a dotted note back to a straight note, and make the next note entered a dotted note.
Don't you think it would be easier to have one action that could do all three things. - and the separate actions we already have for those who prefer them.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #333
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Reaper seems much better than Musescore in adjusting notes across bars and moving things around a little.
IMO the true measure of a score editor is how easy it is to fix things when you don't enter the notes perfectly the first time: inserting time in between notes, adjusting values and rests and ties, moving things around, inserting a measure with a different time signature than the others, ensuring that things don't go haywire when notes temporarily overlap each other, etc.

I personally support any and all energies toward that end. :-)
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:11 PM   #334
memyselfandus

If notation in reaper is tied to actions.. Here are some ideas for people who make custom actions!

http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html
Old 02-21-2016, 03:33 AM   #335
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
IMO the true measure of a score editor is how easy it is to fix things when you don't enter the notes perfectly the first time: inserting time in between notes, adjusting values and rests and ties, moving things around, inserting a measure with a different time signature than the others, ensuring that things don't go haywire when notes temporarily overlap each other, etc.

So true!
Old 02-21-2016, 06:52 AM   #336
Iu.Gob

Congratulations! The editor is being intuitive and agile. Brilliant!
I think it would be nice if the durations of the notes displayed in the Score Editor may be independent of the Piano Roll. Get cleaner scores.

Last edited by Iu.Gob; 02-21-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Iu.Gob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:06 AM   #337
memyselfandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iu.Gob View Post
Congratulations! The editor is being intuitive and agile. Brilliant!
I think it would be nice if the durations of the notes displayed in the Score Editor may be independent of the Piano Roll. Get cleaner scores.
Maybe as an option
Old 02-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #338
Iu.Gob

Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandus View Post
Maybe as an option
That would be ideal. Often you have to adjust the length of the sound of the notes. This changes the quantization and dirties the score.

Last edited by Iu.Gob; 02-21-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #339
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iu.Gob View Post

That may or may not be beyond the intended scope of the notation editor in REAPER. At present, the notation editor provides a view of persistent MIDI data, which you can edit. But the usual purpose of written notation is to provide a guide for the performer to interpret. Should we provide a faithful* view of the data, or let the user make individual cosmetic edits that only affect the notation view without changing the underlying data? For now, we are focusing on getting the faithful view correct.

* There is already display quantization, to prevent freely played MIDI as being displayed as an endless series of tied 256th notes, so one could argue that we're already not displaying the underlying data faithfully.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:54 AM   #340
memyselfandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
That may or may not be beyond the intended scope of the notation editor in REAPER. At present, the notation editor provides a view of persistent MIDI data, which you can edit. But the usual purpose of written notation is to provide a guide for the performer to interpret. Should we provide a faithful* view of the data, or let the user make individual cosmetic edits that only affect the notation view without changing the underlying data? For now, we are focusing on getting the faithful view correct.

* There is already display quantization, to prevent freely played MIDI as being displayed as an endless series of tied 256th notes, so one could argue that we're already not displaying the underlying data faithfully.
I'm a fan of the notation being tied to the piano roll like it is. People don't realize how powerful the midi editor is in reaper. Would be really nice if we could select the number of bars in the notation to match the length of the midi item. So if you have a 1 bar midi item it would show 1 bar in the notation. Start out that way then if you want can add more bars to the midi item within the notation view. Just like in the piano roll view. Just the option.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #341
memyselfandus

Also. Right now if you add a item on say bars 5-7 and click on the item it shows 2 bars. When you switch to notation view it shows previous bard. Which makes sense. But it would be awesome to have a option set for per midi item view on both the midi editor and the notation editor. There are some good uses for this.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:06 AM   #342
memyselfandus

Scroll bug? or I'm not using the mouse wheel

Old 02-21-2016, 11:24 AM   #343
memyselfandus

How do you hide the yellow background and color on the notes? If you want
Old 02-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #344
memyselfandus

Should probably add a tracklist view option in the notation view as well. Otherwise if you want to work just in notation view you have to select notation view every time you go to another take in the same midi item.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #345
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Should probably add a tracklist view option in the notation view as well. Otherwise if you want to work just in notation view you have to select notation view every time you go to another take in the same midi item.
There is a track list, the button to show it is the first one in the editor's menu - if you can't see it just look for the track list action. The yellow background shows the area selected in the arrange window.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #346
Iu.Gob

Quote:
But it would be awesome to have a option set for per midi item view on both the midi editor and the notation editor. There are some good uses for this.
So is. It would be an option that significantly increases the flexibility of the Score Editor and music would be easier to read for musicians to be cleaner. Also composers could work faster and more efficient. This is my opinion. Regards!
Old 02-21-2016, 12:05 PM   #347
memyselfandus

Quote:
There is a track list, the button to show it is the first one in the editor's menu - if you can't see it just look for the track list action. The yellow background shows the area selected in the arrange window.
I was mentally connecting it to individual take views in midi items. disregard. thanks
Old 02-21-2016, 12:31 PM   #348
pbognar

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post

IMHO, the notation view should faithfully display and edit MIDI data, with the added feature of display quantization for cleaning up the display. Any cosmetic changes which would deviate from the event time, duration, or pitch of the original MIDI events within Reaper should only be allowed outside of Reaper, in a graphical notation publishing program.

I've been waiting for years for a MIDI notation editor in Reaper, especially one which handles tuplets without arbitrary limitations regarding emedded rests or ties. But I strongly feel that it should be a MIDI editor first. Having said that, I'm all for rudimentary printing and music xml export/import. (Along with other FR's already mentioned.)

I am knocked out by what Schwa has accomplished and continues to tweak. I'm certain there are some large, well funded DAW companies who would have given a left body part for his talents.
pbognar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #349
vitalker

I've noticed it some pre-s ago: when I open updated version(I install the new version over the existing one) and click Alt+4 in Midi editor, I should wait 10-15 seconds when Notation editor is opening(and the computer is hanging up for this time). So is it a bug?
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:03 PM   #350
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
I've noticed it some pre-s ago: when I open updated version(I install the new version over the existing one) and click Alt+4 in Midi editor, I should wait 10-15 seconds when Notation editor is opening(and the computer is hanging up for this time). So is it a bug?
For me it's instant
Old 02-21-2016, 01:17 PM   #351
reddiesel41264

@pccartwright

These FRs have now been implemented: #23, #25, #33

FR #7 and FR #27 are essentially the same I think - it's the second #27 btw (I just realised there's an error in the numbering)
Old 02-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #352
snooks
Banned

Buglike issue: Editing a note length by handle results in handle never being shorter than the Quantize Display setting, even though the note is shortened.

Quantize Display calculation needs looked at too. Draw a whole note at bar start with snap and QD set to 1/8th. Reduce length of note by 1/8th. No 1/8th rest drawn.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:29 PM   #353
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
Buglike issue: Editing a note length by handle results in handle never being shorter than the Quantize Display setting, even though the note is shortened.
Turn snapping off.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #354
snooks
Banned

It's not related to snap or grid visibility here. Off or at 1/128th, the length of the beam still sticks at the QD length. The note length is changed though. Changing QD value results in the beam changing size if the note length is smaller than QD.

Are you getting a different result? (this is pre 7, I'll check 8)
Old 02-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #355
reddiesel41264

Quote:
It's not related to snap or grid visibility here. Off or at 1/128th, the length of the beam still sticks at the QD length. The note length is changed though. Changing QD value results in the beam changing size if the note length is smaller than QD.

Are you getting a different result? (this is pre 7, I'll check 8)
I think I'm misunderstanding the problem. Do you have a GIF?
Old 02-21-2016, 02:55 PM   #356
snooks
Banned

Sure, here it is...

See the orange beam length is always the QD length if the note length is smaller. It might be intentional, but I thought the beam represented the length of the note and if it's to stop the handle being too small perhaps a different colour could be used for the "quantized" section of the beam so the length is still clear.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #357
vitalker

Quote:
For me it's instant
For me too, but it happens only once, after installation.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:08 PM   #358
reddiesel41264

Quote:
See the orange beam length is always the QD length if the note length is smaller. It might be intentional, but I thought the beam represented the length of the note and if it's to stop the handle being too small perhaps a different colour could be used for the "quantized" section of the beam so the length is still clear.
Thanks. Yes, it's the same for me - I think it's intentional but maybe there's a better way it could be done.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:19 PM   #359
snooks
Banned

Thanks for checking, I need to add that if the note is very small and you get an 1/8th beam handle, the length adjustments are absolute. So one pixel to the right turns a 1/128th note to a 1/8th+ note.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #360
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
btw: Really looking forward to the official release,
as I'm in a composing-phase of a song.
The entry/edit method in REAPER is already heaps better than MuseScore, for the basic note pitch and duration.

Thanks to the 'hybrid score' activists over the years

Also, I'd like to say at this point, that I'm NOT for any floaty note cursor. The way it is now you get 1) audition of your note by clicking on a space/line. 2) instantly draggable note pitch/postion if you WERE off by a pixel or two.

So I for one would really be happy not to have that really quite annoying floating note cursor that MuseScore has, and which I would happily turn off. (As an option, of course...)
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote