Old 12-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #201
toggle
Human being with feelings

Yes, that part I could see, but what about 3 or more items that are touching, with differing numbers of takes? Which does it align with?

Tom
toggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #202
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggle View Post
Yes, that part I could see, but what about 3 or more items that are touching, with differing numbers of takes? Which does it align with?

Tom
I guess they would adapt to the one with the most takes (real ones not empty items)
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #203
toggle

I won't hold you to it , but since you're answering...

So, okay, if there are four item touching, and one has three lanes and the others have one lane each, they'll all have four lanes? But if somewhere else in the track there are items touching with only a max of two lanes, then that area will have two lanes?

Tom

Last edited by toggle; 12-09-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #204
musicbynumbers

Default this reminds me of the boat with the fox, chicken and bag of grain! ;)

If I understand you correctly it will be two lanes still as it only effects items "touching each other"

Quote:
I won't hold you to it , but since you're answering...

So, okay, if there are four item touching, and one has three lanes and the others have one lane each, they'll all have four lanes? But if somewhere else in the track there are items touching with only a max of two lanes, then that area will have two lanes?

Tom
Old 12-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #205
toggle

Ha! Yes, I should probably use some ASCII art to make this more obtuse.

What I'm getting at is that it sounds like one track might still display lanes of differing heights (in different, "non-touching" items) and this sounds unappealing to me.

Tom
Old 12-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #206
musicbynumbers

==> it will most likely be an optional thing though <==

Quote:
Ha! Yes, I should probably use some ASCII art to make this more obtuse.

What I'm getting at is that it sounds like one track might still display lanes of differing heights (in different, "non-touching" items) and this sounds unappealing to me.

Tom
Old 12-10-2010, 02:12 AM   #207
Jeffos
Mortal

I'm glad to see I at least managed to "pass the idea" !
I know I expressed myself very badly and will not do that again.. but it was complicated stuff to explain, for me. Even a bit frustrating, you know a bit like when you have some audio at the input, for sure, but you can record it, so you look for hundreds of complicated stuff and then you realize you didn't press the rec arm button
Quote:
Jeffos' example has a track with 2 then 3 lanes in it, like the old way.
Tom, no, it has nothing to see with my suggestion. It's alreday like that in v4 alpha, just try .
The suggestion would work the same if the number of lanes is defined per contiguous items -or- per track.
Quote:
It's a good point to debate here, IMO!
I first imagined it per track as well but now I prefer how Cockos did it (it's better given the way *we* mostly record things). So, like musicbynumbers and for both camps to be happy, I'd say that an that "option" would great.
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #208
toggle

Jeffos,

I think you expressed yourself just fine. In my experimenting with V4, I hadn't somehow noticed this "two lanes here, three lanes there" situation. I guess that's a good thing. In any case, now that I'm explicitly looking for it, I realize that this is what I was missing here!

And as such your suggestion makes much more sense to me. I'm still thinking about the idea of having tracks always contain the max number of lanes in any given item in the track. For some situations, this might be an easier way to keep, er, track of things.

Tom
Old 12-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #209
Solar

Default Would it be possible to MUTE takes in Lane in V4

Hey fellas!

I'm addressing this to all of you and especially to Schwa. I've started a thread here because i'm using V3.73 and starting recording a project that recorded vocals and I came to editing/Comping mode and I found something that I think Reaper doesn't have that option yet (i've used that un Cubase ever since ) and beside the fact that All these new add-ons on making Takes in Lane better being discussed here, I thought would be good if I share my experience with you and what I'm trying to do. Here is the link of the OP.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...d=1#post637239

So i'm asking Schwa if this is something Cockos is planning to make it possible and also once you "crop active take" is there a way to "Uncrop active take" in case you want to go back to those left lane takes because you remembered that there was a better take that you left in that track?

Thanx a lot for any input. One thing I know is that what I'm trying to do as for the possibility to MUTE a take inside the Lane track is impossible unless you Explode the takes. But by exploding the takes, it takes away the original basic Edit/Comping method of Reaper as for for let you audition each take as you select it.

Thanx fellas and hope you guys will understand what I'm wishing to achieve and hope to see this possible in V4.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #210
Mercado_Negro

You can mute takes using take mute envelope. Look for that in items' right-click context menu: Take/Take volume, pan and mute envelope.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #211
Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
You can mute takes using take mute envelope. Look for that in items' right-click context menu: Take/Take volume, pan and mute envelope.
Gracias amigo pero it's a kind of and it helps for now ( but to many step to go and slide the mute line etc...)but I think you got what i mean and trying to do. Just to simply be able to HIT Alt M and as well the option to in 1 click mute the full rack (if i may express myself this way).

Thanx for this input didn't though could use that one.

And what about " Crop active take"? Is there a way to return back & see the takes in Lane again because in R V3.73 ain't possible unless missed the action?

Gracias amigo,
Old 12-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #212
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar
And what about " Crop active take"? Is there a way to return back & see the takes in Lane again because in R V3.73 ain't possible unless missed the action?
Not that I know of. I don't use lanes, I don't need them. I record everything in takes but I keep those lanes hidden all the time; I just go through all takes using "Switch items to previous/next take" and listen, once I find the one I need I just keep it and move on.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #213
Solar

Quote:
Not that I know of. I don't use lanes, I don't need them. I record everything in takes but I keep those lanes hidden all the time; I just go through all takes using "Switch items to previous/next take" and listen, once I find the one I need I just keep it and move on.
Ahhhhhhh ok!! I hear you.. so you turn of "Show All takes in Lane) and then keep recording on the same track and reaper keeps all your track then you navigate thru them if I understand you well. Thats another way of working too, I to it sometimes.

But I'm very curious to hear what Schwa will have to say about this, if it could be a possible little feature to be added in Reaper to have the ability (when working in Lane takes) to mute a selected take(s) etc... And also very curious about the "crop active take take" if it's possible to revert and see all the remaining takes in case need to change takes.

Gracias amigo, Saludos!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #214
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Ahhhhhhh ok!! I hear you.. so you turn of "Show All takes in Lane) and then keep recording on the same track and reaper keeps all your track then you navigate thru them if I understand you well. Thats another way of working too, I to it sometimes.
Yes, my default record mode is 'Auto-punch selected items'. I use items as "recordings containers = takes". I record my first take and then I record all new takes in it, since I can slip edit (move contents) I don't need extra items because I move parts easily. I don't use 'play all takes' either. I also use "New recording that overlaps existing media items trims existing items behind new recording", this way I can do punch ins easily in different parts.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #215
Solar

Quote:
Yes, my default record mode is 'Auto-punch selected items'. I use items as "recordings containers = takes". I record my first take and then I record all new takes in it, since I can slip edit (move contents) I don't need extra items because I move parts easily. I don't use 'play all takes' either. I also use "New recording that overlaps existing media items trims existing items behind new recording", this way I can do punch ins easily in different parts.
I hear you mate, thanx for sharing Appreciate!!
Old 12-19-2010, 01:00 AM   #216
jakerock

Quote:
"New recording that overlaps existing media items trims existing items behind new recording", this way I can do punch ins easily in different parts.
Where is this lovely setting?
Old 12-19-2010, 01:24 AM   #217
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Options->New recording that overlaps existing media items->"Trims items behind new recording"
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #218
jakerock

Thanks Ollie... I was looking in the preferences!
Old 01-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #219
cAPSLOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatbybit View Post
schwa please, any chance of 'regulate' the FIPM by adding optional Lanes?

i know its not exactly a 'take lane alignment', but sort of?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=66350

thank you
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

This is all I want. Being able to mute or solo these lanes would be an added bonus.

I use FIPM mostly (I might even have had a part in inspiring it -shameless-) but would love to see an option for it to be slightly less "free".

The constraints on lane based editing are what make me blazingly fast at it.
cAPSLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #220
roughly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gembez View Post
Exactly. Another great thing would be to able to move/edit each take/lane independently of the rest of the block.
yes this could be very nice many times
roughly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #221
roughly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimst57 View Post
I find all the "takes" stuff growing confusing. And I'm willing to bet I'm not alone.

Personally I like the way Pro Tools deals with takes.

You press a button on the track and a new "lane" appears. I record on it. As long or as short as I want. I can then edit it, move it, split it, etc. It does not have to be the same length as a previous take because it's a seperate item. To comp, I create an empty lane, highlight the pieces of each take I want and promote them to the empty "comp" lane.

It's simple but effective. It just seems to me that the take issue is becoming confusing. Too mant choices, and it's not really clear what each choice does.

Just my thoughts.

Sonar does something very similar to this basically just like that and you mute mediaEvents or full lane you don't want to hear. you can show all the lanes or a visually comp them top down.

I know it's not as fancy as all this but it worked well or me in the past. Honestly i would like to have an option like this, in simplest terms each lane is a mini track that is automatically made on looped recording, and has a w/a mute+solo in each one. Lanes can also be removed or added with a right clk. And flattened to one visually on minimize.

-jeffrey

Last edited by roughly; 01-04-2011 at 08:26 PM.
roughly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:12 AM   #222
bigearz

Default recorded items in separate lanes

I would prefer to have the option to see "recorded items and existing items in separate lanes" (maybe because I'm looking for something similar to Cubendo). I just don't understand the behavior in this mode. Is there a thread in this forum about it?
bigearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #223
lawrs

The current take system with "show empty lanes" is a step forward. I was trying it out on a voice over recording today and for the first time, I wasn't confused as hell which is my last take. However when trying to edit, I found some conflicts with the item top bottom (mouse modifier) editing.

I have my item top drag to be "create time selection" and item bottom (drag) to move item. This creates a problem when I try to create a time selection for my 5th take, the take constantly changes to take 1 or 2, because I have to drag on the top area. I would propose to use a modifier as "change take selection" and when takes are present, clicking top and bottom remains the same as how the mouse modifier preference is set, regardless of which take is clicked on.

I'll post a gif soon if it is difficult for devs to visualize this issue.
lawrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #224
Subz

in the latest beta if i record midi in "overdub" mode & start mid loop it makes 2 lanes of midi (showing on separate lanes like audio/normal recording dose)

this dose not happen in V3 with the same "show takes on separate lanes" enabled

[IMG]http://img502.**************/img502/2347/midp.gif[/IMG]

Subz

Last edited by Subz; 01-17-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #225
Tycho

+1 for Sonar style lane mute/solo controls. It's nice to have that sort of tracker-within-a-track functionality. Probably not best practice but good for quick and dirty sorting of multiple takes.

What would really take it to the next level would be gain/pan control per lane, but then you'd be getting to some Inception-level tracking...
Tycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #226
matthias.matthias

Default Selecting lanes on grouped tracks bug

When selecting a take lane on a track grouped to others with the mouse (a click on the lane) it only affects the track clicked on not the others. Key commands affect as expected all tracks. When comping multirack recordings (drums, orchestra) this gets the takes out of sync in across the grouped tracks.
matthias.matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #227
Triode

Default Aha! That's interesting

Quote:
Thanks mercado is that a way to avoid the splits created? I've given it a try on grouped tracks and the multi track drum recording comp prospect looks better if every track that is being recorded has it's item selected as the punch in occurs. - that leaves a suggestion of of making a macro for record that goes:

select armed tracks (SWS)
select all items in track
Record: Set record mode to selected item auto-punch
Record

Perhaps with "save current track selection" at the macro start and:
"Restore saved track selection" at the end, to preserve other workflows around

There's also "Toggle auto group newly recorded items" Putting this on as an icon in my toolbar.

Your method keeps the splits from occurring in these multi track takes where it's so easy to click somewhere and knock a piece out of the jigsaw puzzle of a drum kit that you only spot later in the mix where two kits start playing - well, just one kit plus a bit of hi hat from another take AAARRRRGGG! Excuse me! So Ta! The only down-side seems to be that you have to commit to a defined take length as you go into record but I might get used to that.

I've at present got a whole load of drum takes with video taken at different angles which I plan to group together and edit picture with audio in one mega group ..... all recorded the OLD way (ie: in many different "containers") I wish I'd read your post earlier.

To Schwa: What would be excellent would be if the audio display for the folder was **itself** viewable in take lanes. One unified set takes on one track but from many mic sources.

Last edited by Triode; 04-16-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Triode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #228
Triode

Also just noticing that there is a way of making takes that are recorded with "splits existing items and creates new takes" mode can be less liable to being segmented by the splits when selecting takes via the "switch items to next take" actions. If you do "add an empty take lane before the active take" after selecting the top take as the active one all the ones beneath behave more as expected when you switch to next take in ***whole takes***

Incidentally the "add an empty take lane before active take" is rather like pro tools "create new playlist" option. In fact in pro tools the implementation of this is a bit inconsistant in that when you have all the playlists in view simultaneously the command adds it below the last one and when they're hidden it's before the first.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #229
Triode

Also when multi track recording material that may need comping it's good to have in the preferences 'loop source for recorded items" set to off. That way you can drag out the start or end of shorter takes if you're not/didn't record the Mercado way.

If the items all have this set to on it seems that you can't turn it off by selecting all the items and click-unticking the 'loop source" box in the media item properties window. You have to make a keystroke for the action "loop item source".
Old 04-17-2012, 02:06 AM   #230
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post

If the items all have this set to on it seems that you can't turn it off by selecting all the items and click-unticking the 'loop source" box in the media item properties window. You have to make a keystroke for the action "loop item source".
This works fine here, both ways (dis/enabling "Loop source" for all selected items in item properties).
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote