Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default If you use reaVerb for vocals, which effects (impulse responses ) do YOU like to use?

Up to now I have been using 3rd party plugins on my vocals and they have not always worked out so good. Many people reported I have too much ECHO in my voice by using them.

I was watching a Kenny Gioia video on YouTube and he was using reaVerb with Big Gee's Lexicon 480L Reverb's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxD_RvRULok

So, my question is, for those of you out there who use reaVerb for vocal tracks, I have Big Gee's Lexicon 480L Reverb set, but I'm sure there are lots of other ones out there and I'd appreciate some referrals to ones that might be real good for vocals.

I'm not sure about this, but, when I look at the reaVerb plugin screen it talks about impulse response. So, I am going to take a guess that when I pick something such as Fat Plate.aif, this is what is called an impulse response.Am I right?

If so, it is more sets of these impulse responses that I am interested in finding so that I can download them to use on my vocals.

Since using reaVerb is very new to me, I would appreciate any edumucation (ha ha!) on the proper terminology when discussing the different elements of it so that I can be more accurate with future questions....

Thanks ......
Old 12-09-2018, 10:52 PM   #2
Fergler

I use Bricasti M7 usually

http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m...lse-responses/

See top for some other packs
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:09 PM   #3
JamesPeters

These are very good too:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=130497
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:53 AM   #4
Jason Lyon

You're correct about the AIF file.

Impulses are short sound recordings (usually but not always stereo) of a neutral percussive sound - originally a starter pistol was commonly used - and the subsequent way that sound reverberates in the space. The plugin then uses that sound sample as a template for how to process the input you send it.

The "environment" can be anything from a warehouse to a jazz club to a concert hall to a famous recording studio to your attic, but can also be a hardware reverb unit such as the Lexi. In this instance someone has run a "snap" sound through the hardware unit and recorded the result. This is a pretty good way of emulating classic (and very expensive) hardware reverbs without complex modelling.

One of the drawbacks of convolution reverb is that it's really quite resource intensive to process the impulse. If your machine is a bit lacking in beef you might have to leave it offline, then click it on and render when you want to hear it properly and unchoppy.

Another occasional issue with impulses concerns the acoustic impact of the presence of an audience. Any live engineer will tell you that if you soundcheck in an empty room, you have to tweak your baseline setup when the audience arrives. People are basically great big bags of water so have a damping effect. That's why you'll typically see an engineer doing quite a lot of work during the first couple of numbers.

Obviously, it's unfeasible to fill a medium to large space with volunteers and get them to remain totally silent while you record a "snap". As a result, without further processing an impulse of eg a concert hall will tend to make your music sound the way it would when the venue is empty.

Impulses are not at all difficult to create, the only problem is getting access to the kind of environment you want when it's totally silent. But there are a lot of enterprising people out there who have negotiated access to all kinds of places (some quite famous) and posted them.

Google away and build up a collection - it's surprising what's out there.

All this just for info - I know you're curious.

PS I find convo reverbs of hardware philosophically interesting. While they became increasingly flexible and wacky, their initial mission was to simulate reality. So in a way, we have reality emulating technology emulating reality.
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:01 AM   #5
sjs94704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
I use Bricasti M7 usually

http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m...lse-responses/

See top for some other packs
Thanks for this ......

I don't mean to trouble anyone, but, for Reaper which version of the available files on this site should I download and install?

(This is one of those things I am still learning!)

With Gratitude .....
Old 12-10-2018, 09:27 AM   #6
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
So, my question is, for those of you out there who use reaVerb for vocal tracks, I have Big Gee's Lexicon 480L Reverb set, but I'm sure there are lots of other ones out there and I'd appreciate some referrals to ones that might be real good for vocals.

I'm not sure about this, but, when I look at the reaVerb plugin screen it talks about impulse response. So, I am going to take a guess that when I pick something such as Fat Plate.aif, this is what is called an impulse response.Am I right?

If so, it is more sets of these impulse responses that I am interested in finding so that I can download them to use on my vocals.

Samplicity M7 (it's a free download of IR's)

I'll flip through a couple until I find one close to what I hear in my head. Then eq it the rest of the way there. (I'll have an idea of short vs long and that kind of thing when I first scroll through the list to pick something.)

Not much you can't do with this!
serr is online now   Reply With Quote