Old 09-15-2019, 03:56 AM   #1
monty
Human being with feelings

Default distro - recommendation?

I've been very happy with KDE Neon for the past 12 months, unfortunately there are problems occurred after a few big updates, everything has slowed down, Cadence is showing Xruns with VST plugins and also Midi problems with the ControlSurface occurred. I'm thinking about switching to another distro .... do you have any good recommendation?
So far I have used a low-latency kernel, it would probably be better to use a RT kernel. All in all, there are enough system resources available, it's not a CPU load or ram problem, looks more like a Kernel or issues w/ KDE.
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:04 AM   #2
SmajjL

Hey!

You can allways try Kubuntu and just add the Ubuntu Studio controls/patch/kernel easy.
sudo apt install ubuntustudio-controls ubuntustudio-installer

And then pimp up (update) the Plasma KDE with:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

And ofc add KXStudio ppa if you like since it is Ubuntu.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:27 AM   #3
monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Hey!

You can allways try Kubuntu and just add the Ubuntu Studio controls/patch/kernel easy.
sudo apt install ubuntustudio-controls ubuntustudio-installer

And then pimp up (update) the Plasma KDE with:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

And ofc add KXStudio ppa if you like since it is Ubuntu.

thanks, but I guess it would not change much here because KDE Neon is based on Kubuntu but a little faster and more stable and KX Studio would be a major downgrade w/ KDE Neon 5.16 ...
I think about installing a clean debian 10 w/ xfce & RT kernel ...
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
Old 09-15-2019, 05:38 AM   #4
cyrano

A bit OT, but hey...

It seems the Realtime project (PREEMPT_RT) will be integrated into the kernel soon, like this winter:

https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/...s/54/#20190911

Exciting news? I think so. It would make any distro audio friendly.

Linux. Every time you really need something, it's right around the corner
Old 09-15-2019, 05:41 AM   #5
SmajjL

No problem'o

Well any Ubuntu if you would go with the ppa thing, you're the boss.
I am on Nvidia also and I had no luck with a Debian, but it was all my ignorance I think, and Debian is all about open source and that might be the problem with Nvidia drivers, you should set your Debian to allow it somewhere I think, and maby other trix I have not tried yet, hope you make it.

-- ninja edit: Cool! just hope Nvidia is catching up to what ever that ment, forgot.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:57 AM   #6
monty

Quote:
No problem'o

Well any Ubuntu if you would go with the ppa thing, you're the boss.
I am on Nvidia also and I had no luck with a Debian, but it was all my ignorance I think, and Debian is all about open source and that might be the problem with Nvidia drivers, you should set your Debian to allow it somewhere I think, and maby other trix I have not tried yet, hope you make it.

-- ninja edit: Cool! just hope Nvidia is catching up to what ever that ment, forgot.
yep, w/ debian 10 I need to use the nouveau driver then but I have a real RT kernel afterwards ...
Old 09-15-2019, 06:08 AM   #7
SmajjL

Manjaro KDE is great/fast also and all up to date and works, including Nvidia, everything just works for everything really.
Their latest release have now flatpak and snap support on by default and a real-time kernel to chose from their list of kernels just waiting.
And I did notice that KXStudio's stuff now got AUR tags on 'em.. so..

You have to pick what ever you are comphy with yourself, I suffer from distro hopping myself, soo...
Very personal thing and that's fine by me, Linux is on the move and that's fine by me also.

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-15-2019 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:24 AM   #8
monty

Quote:
Manjaro KDE is great/fast also and all up to date and works, including Nvidia, everything just works for everything really.
Their latest release have now flatpak and snap support on by default and a real-time kernel to chose from their list of kernels just waiting.
And I did notice that KXStudio's stuff now got AUR tags on 'em.. so..

You have to pick what ever you are comphy with yourself, I suffer from distro hopping myself, soo...
Very personal thing and that's fine by me, Linux is on the move and that's fine by me also.

yeah it seems manjaro (KDE) is the only distro which supports RT kernel right now. I have tested debian 10 in a vbox, RT kernel or liquorix kernel do not work with KDE ... blackscreen after reboot.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:49 AM   #9
SmajjL

I am thinking that Nvidia might be the issue and only, issue maby and you have to install things in the right way, so, there is such a thing as doing it the wrong way.
But I don't know yet.

On my Linux notes, I found I have these to try should I attempt a Debian again..
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-insta...0-buster-linux

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5M8tJbANLk

Old 09-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #10
monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
A bit OT, but hey...

It seems the Realtime project (PREEMPT_RT) will be integrated into the kernel soon, like this winter:

https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/...s/54/#20190911

Exciting news? I think so. It would make any distro audio friendly.

Linux. Every time you really need something, it's right around the corner

great ;-)
Old 09-15-2019, 09:57 AM   #11
David Else

Fedora. A mix of state of the art and stable. They come out every 6 months, best to wait at least a month after a brand new one so they can iron out any bugs.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #12
monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Else View Post
Fedora. A mix of state of the art and stable. They come out every 6 months, best to wait at least a month after a brand new one so they can iron out any bugs.
thanks looks interesting, which config would you recommend with an nvidia card & 3 screens ... are lowlatency or RT kernel supported?
Old 09-16-2019, 12:34 AM   #13
SmajjL

My last Fedora visit (live image USB test) gave me a state of the art freeze beeing on Nvidia
Guess it is safe mode from start and solve/install things from there.
And Manjaro is Arch based, and Arch is rolling by nature DNA? so Manjaro is for Arch what Ubuntu is for Debian and Mint tries to be the best Ubuntu.
So Manjaro comes after Arch and have stable, testing, and unstable and stable has to pass through testing and unstable and that does not take a week.

--
My second build will be all AMD anyway (open) but then i'm sure nVidia and Intel will try to make that as hard as possible for me..

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-16-2019 at 02:27 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:38 PM   #14
s wave

I still vastly prefer all AMD build for many reasons... I have had no problens with older invidia gpus and fedora. Worth a look see at Modicia (they have a real time kernel option). Wine etc is all preconfigured. At first I couldn't see how to run it in terminal... for customization but you can fwiw.
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:52 AM   #15
monty

after removing flapak & snapd I have also installed the new kernel 5.0.0-27-lowlatency (prior 4.18) now it works as fast as it should ;-)
Just one little issue is left w/ reaper 5.983 and latest linvst I see many VST xruns, which occur only in reaper but not in audacity or mixbus ...
any idea?
Old 09-21-2019, 09:33 PM   #16
babag

i run reaper on kubuntu/kxstudio with four monitors and an nvidia card. i had nothing but trouble with every other desktop environment in that i could never get desktop icons in a layout i wanted.

de's other than kde ALL caused endless problems. these all stemmed from my wanting my 65" 4k display set up above three smaller (roughly 1680x1050 or so, each) that's how my room is set up: three across my console and the big one up on the wall. i wanted my gui desktop to mimic my physical environment. EVERY other de found it pretty much impossible to deal with not putting desktop icons in the upper left of the workspace.

in my case, the upper left of the workspace is the bigscreen which i use for video display. that means i want my icons on the lower right monitor so they won't become inaccessible behind reaper's video window. WAY too complicated a request for the likes of things like xfce (which i love and really wanted to use). kde was the only de i could get to give me a quick drag/drop of icons to my desktop in places i actually want them.

i tried MANY distros and MANY de's and had to come back to kde because of all of this. if you are using three monitors, you're probably fine as long as you stick to side-by-side, but, be aware that once you start stacking your layout, you may have problems with anything not kde. i did.

thanks,
babag
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:53 AM   #17
monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
i run reaper on kubuntu/kxstudio with four monitors and an nvidia card. i had nothing but trouble with every other desktop environment in that i could never get desktop icons in a layout i wanted.

de's other than kde ALL caused endless problems. these all stemmed from my wanting my 65" 4k display set up above three smaller (roughly 1680x1050 or so, each) that's how my room is set up: three across my console and the big one up on the wall. i wanted my gui desktop to mimic my physical environment. EVERY other de found it pretty much impossible to deal with not putting desktop icons in the upper left of the workspace.

in my case, the upper left of the workspace is the bigscreen which i use for video display. that means i want my icons on the lower right monitor so they won't become inaccessible behind reaper's video window. WAY too complicated a request for the likes of things like xfce (which i love and really wanted to use). kde was the only de i could get to give me a quick drag/drop of icons to my desktop in places i actually want them.

i tried MANY distros and MANY de's and had to come back to kde because of all of this. if you are using three monitors, you're probably fine as long as you stick to side-by-side, but, be aware that once you start stacking your layout, you may have problems with anything not kde. i did.

thanks,
babag

Yes, you are right I will keep KDE Neon! LinuxMint, MX or Xbuntu is a little faster at boot & when opening files ... and I thought I could save the window positions in Xfce w/ Devilspie, but it does not seem to work anymore.
But I was able to solve the VST xrun problem ... I guess my cadence config files were corrupt (system crash) so I have deleted all stuff inside .config/cadence/ completely and created a new configuration.
sample rate of 48000 Hz
buffer size 1024
and under tweaks > winasio > buffer size > 2048

now the xrun issue happens only with a few VST and only when starting a plugin, (1 - 4 xruns max.)
Old 10-12-2019, 02:14 AM   #18
mschnell

Maybe somebody knows how to create a distribution ?!?!?

It would be great if the really knowledgeable guys here would discuss and decide what a Reaper-Linux-distribution - containing all necessary stuff such as realtme-ready Kernel, drivers, Wine-stuff for Windows VSTs, and as little unnecessary stuff as possible - should look like and provide that as an ISO file - at best with some instructions for getting Reaper, hardware devices and plugins going on that system.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:37 AM   #19
Pinknoise

The problem with distros is that they don't necesserily work for your hardware, even without rt kernel, jack, cadence, wine, reaper, etc. A lot of distros don't work well out of the box for my 3 screens setup for exemple. Nvidia driver problem mostly in my case.

As you add more complex tasks like audio interface, midi, etc. there is no way of tailoring a one distro fits all.

In my experience, the closer to original Ubuntu the less problems. Linux mint being the exception where everything runs smoothly except freeze on idle.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:40 PM   #20
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Maybe somebody knows how to create a distribution ?!?!?

It would be great if the really knowledgeable guys here would discuss and decide what a Reaper-Linux-distribution - containing all necessary stuff such as realtme-ready Kernel, drivers, Wine-stuff for Windows VSTs, and as little unnecessary stuff as possible - should look like and provide that as an ISO file - at best with some instructions for getting Reaper, hardware devices and plugins going on that system.

-Michael
RT kernel - is generally a less flexible system. There are less choices. Most RT systems are for 'live tracking' and live types of recording. (opposed to single track recording) These, you generally want as 'dedicated systems'. Mainly for low latency: for the MONITORING/headphones of playing along with already recorded tracks.

The real time kernel - you mean a real real time kernel or real time scheduling kernel? Heck you can download Modicia and run Reaper Windows and Reaper Windows on Wine and Reaper Native linux... but it would not be the greatest for 'live tracking',but it would do almost all the things you mentioned. Like the OP mentioned then hardware comes into play then THEIR drivers and their compatibility. I pretty much do single tracking... and Mint Cinnamon is pretty flawless. I just want stability and the most flexibilty with very low maintnence and this works great for my needs.
Your needs might differ... that is why there are so many different set ups. If I gave you my iso... you would have problems if you did not have my exact hardware (or exact pc setup/configuration)
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #21
Steven Jay Cohen

Default Real Time vs Low Latency

Now, of course YMMV, but I am going to suggest that you will probably see better Reaper performance using the Low Latency Kernels than you will if you use the Real Time ones.

And, you may want to read this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub...RealTimeKernel

AudioTechnica AT4047/SV • Focusrite Scarlett Solo (3rd Gen) • Debian Stable/Testing
Steven Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:51 PM   #22
Jack Winter

I really don't want to denigrate anyone else, but IMO https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub...RealTimeKernel is written by someone that doesn't really understand what they are talking about.

It is true that a lot of the rt patch has made it into the vanilla kernel and it has improved it a lot, but there is still work left porting the rest. The only thing the "rt patch" ever really did was to make sure that the kernel can run threads as soon as possible. If it can't schedule the audio threads in time, it's likely that you'll get a short audio dropout. It's not that you get lower latency with the "rt patched" kernel, it's just slightly more dependable (depending on your hardware)..

Hopefully the rest of the patches will be merged into the main kernel this year, and it will just be another kernel compile option like the "low latency" option.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:09 PM   #23
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
I really don't want to denigrate anyone else, but IMO https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub...RealTimeKernel is written by someone that doesn't really understand what they are talking about.
Yeah, that's not the most, er, "informed" article I've seen on the RT kernel.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote