Old 08-06-2007, 11:15 PM   #1
reapercurious
Human being with feelings

Default dreamreaper

dreamreaper defined:

too many darned options!!

(as in the grid settings)

please look at my rendition of the next level in reaper:

DREAMREAPER - now the engineer can also be a programmer!

code/design windows:

http://img228.**************/img228/8...proteston3.jpg

Last edited by reapercurious; 08-09-2007 at 10:09 PM. Reason: c.m.a.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:39 PM   #2
Tallisman

i like many options.

gimme more, i say!

best

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:49 AM   #3
happymonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
too many darned options!!

please look at my rendition of the next level in reaper:

DREAMREAPER - now the engineer can also be a programmer!

code/design windows:

http://img228.**************/img228/8...proteston3.jpg
If you're not happy with Reaper's "too many options", maybe you'd be better off with one of these:

http://www.sequel-music.de/

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Session-main.html

http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion3/index.html

hm
happymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:39 PM   #4
reapercurious

Default so its 'us' and 'them' huh? (in response to 'go try this or that', as a cop-out)

i think THIS:

http://cycling74.com/products/maxmsp

is what some of you are looking for.

maybe you need to go to that.

OR ARE YOU NERDY ENOUGH?

(throws pocket protector down on the table)

---

as it stands, there are too many 'options' where programming, (from the author), should be. these are major and minor decisions that give a program its flavor. right now, its easier and faster to produce sound with other platforms. reaper could eclipse those programs, but annoying max-msp rejects have stormed the ship and are doing the electrical equivalent of putting 15 light switches in one room for one light, all of which you must tweak in order to turn the light on or off.

before you go telling reaper curious people to 'go', maybe you need to max-msp yourself some perspective.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #5
Jae.Thomas

interesting.

Perhaps a wizard or "simple" mode would be good for version two.

but the options we have are totally great for what I do, and nessecary. To lose those would be a major pity. And I am not programmer.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:49 AM   #6
happymonkey

Quote:
i think THIS:

http://cycling74.com/products/maxmsp

is what some of you are looking for.

maybe you need to go to that.

OR ARE YOU NERDY ENOUGH?

(throws pocket protector down on the table)

---

as it stands, there are too many 'options' where programming, (from the author), should be. these are major and minor decisions that give a program its flavor. right now, its easier and faster to produce sound with other platforms. reaper could eclipse those programs, but annoying max-msp rejects have stormed the ship and are doing the electrical equivalent of putting 15 light switches in one room for one light, all of which you must tweak in order to turn the light on or off.

before you go telling reaper curious people to 'go', maybe you need to max-msp yourself some perspective.

We'll all wait a minute while you put the flame thrower down and back yourself away from the ledge......

My post wasn't a cop out. I was simply pointing out some less complex apps that are more of the plug-n-play variety. If you think another platform is better than Reaper for whatever reason, by all means go have fun with it and post on their board about how you love it's simplicity while we work on building the DAW that meets our needs.

As a long time *former* user of Vegas and Sonar, I don't want to be spoon fed or forced into a workflow that doesn't work for me. I want all of the bells, whistles, and switches I can get my hands on. A lot of other people here do as well.

Reaper is a tricked out hot rod. If you're looking for a minivan, you'll find them down the street....

hm
Old 08-08-2007, 04:22 AM   #7
reapercurious

my post started out as a humorous protest in the proper section.

(if you looked at the attachment on post 1)

i am told to go elsewhere by people who are probably not being completely forthright in their assertion that reaper's ever-fraying end of user options is what they 'need.'

i have 'turned' more than a fair share of people 'on' to reaper, and so far, none of them have been able to stick to reaper in even a semi-professional basis due to crashing, and etc. i dont mean to say that they dont think it's worth watching (,hence my screen-name.)

people are crying out for more damn options when the basic engine needs fine tuning.

in many ways, reaper is a kite being called a F-16; there is just a solid-ness you find in a program where PETTY LITTLE options are taken care of for you instead of HAVING to TAKE TIME ASIDE to adjust things that ultimately do not contribute toward creativity or especially, PRODUCT-ivity.

i am not the only one who feels this way, before you go 'us and them' me like george and his buddies. maybe that 'us and them' mentality is what's holding reaper's forum back from having more than 5 posts a day. (i mean real posts instead of high fives and pipe-smoking in the skin section.)

if this forum is only a place for non-critical thinkers, you're right, i should voice my NITPICKS elsewhere... like to whatever engineer and producer friends still give a stitch about reaper... but i LIKE talking about reaper, and that's precisely why i'm here. SO dont tell me to go anywhere and i wont tell you to go anywhere.

think hard before you reply with uncritical acceptance of this 'flawed beauty.'

if changes werent necessary, why are there updates and bug fixes every few days?

better question: why is reaper adding features when the existing ones still want of perfection?

fact is, changes will come. what you need to ask yourself (before you tell me to kiss off) is: "how am I, the uncritical hobbyist that i am, ahead of the curve or an asset by flag-sucking and seig-heiling?"

BE CRITICAL, not of each other but of why you are even here in the first place. I'm starting to realize that there are like five people who are active on this site, and it might be more if the atmosphere was a little more sensible. There are millions and millions of people that could be using this software and participating in the formation process. reaper could easily take over and win over many more hearts than just a fringe set of option-o-philes.

i'm waiting to hear some honesty.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:47 AM   #8
Jae.Thomas

you have heard honesty...

no one has told you to "go anywhere" -- just that perhaps reaper isnt for you, if you find having options to be a burden...

you are free to voice your opinions, although i think you will find that reaper having these options is the reason many of us are here. And i think more options are to come in v2, perhaps even to customize the GUI. yes, it does take a bit of work to set it up, but once you are done, you have a program that works the way YOU want it to...

I admit, i hate autohotkey as a solution, thats going a bit too far...

but otherwise, I love reaper as itself and all the options it has.

like i said, maybe justin can come up with a "simple" mode, or a wizard for easy setup for folks like you

otherwise, stop taking yourself so seriously
Old 08-08-2007, 07:29 AM   #9
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregh View Post
I think reapercurious is having a bit of fun on the Internet Jason. That's my honest opinion.
if thats the case, I owe one big homer simpson "DOH!" to everyone
Old 08-08-2007, 05:37 PM   #10
reapercurious

Default YOU seem to have fun playing with your options, with no music being made.

very interesting, jason, and who are you to say what people come to reaper for?

i came to reaper cause its small in size and an alternative to acid with better routing options.

<SCENARIO:>

what happens, mr jason, if you have a friend who uses reaper and you want to go track at his place.

why, you would have to change all his options, wouldnt you?

what if he didnt want those options changed?

then, why, its so simple, why... you'd have to have your friend write you a map of what every key does!

what would jesus do?

</SCENARIO>

isnt that what a program should be? as unique as a fingerprint?

i dont agree, and i think unless you start selling preference pack configurations to people dumber than me, more options are going to be the lodestone around the neck of reaper.

some of you want me to tone down, but you are just blowing your own horns. preaching to some kind of choir that people like me will never be party to...

...unless you create a program that WORKS.

when you are doing simple work, you can have all the settings in the world, but when you are like me and do very very very complex work, things need to be simple for reasons of workflow. who has time to tweak 16 settings on the grid/snap every time they want to change to 1/3 ??

instead of suggesting reaper isnt for me, why dont you help toward making a program that works for MORE PEOPLE instead of the people ALMOST but not quite nerdy enough to 'track' on Max MSP?

i dont care if you wrote or code reaper, if you are holding back from following good advice from OBJECTIVE PROSPECTIVE LICENSEES, just because of a personal dislike for the attitude of the deliverer, you are cutting your nose to spite your face, and your bottom line ($) will suffer for it.

dont discourage the
reapercurious
Old 08-08-2007, 06:21 PM   #11
Jae.Thomas

ok, are you joking or not?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #12
happymonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
ok, are you joking or not?
I'm pretty sure he's serious J. That was way too much of a tirade for someone with a sense of humor.

"Don't discourage the 'reaper curious'"? Yeah, more like don't feed the troll....

I think it's time to abandon this thread (among others) and move on to better things.

hm
Old 08-08-2007, 06:48 PM   #13
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymonkey View Post
I'm pretty sure he's serious J. That was way too much of a tirade for someone with a sense of humor.

"Don't discourage the 'reaper curious'"? Yeah, more like don't feed the troll....

I think it's time to abandon this thread (among others) and move on to better things.

hm
Im lost. What did I do this time?

:shrugs:
Old 08-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #14
happymonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
Im lost. What did I do this time?

:shrugs:
Nothing J - you're in the clear. I think this one's on me. I fed the troll and got him all fired up. I knew I was doing it but I just couldn't stop myself... I feel so dirty....

Must stop throwing energy into a black hole...

Now updating my ignore list... and, we're done.

Let's move along people.... nothing to see here.....

hm
Old 08-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #15
Tallisman

i dunno... it's kinda like a pyramid thing for me.
I'll never use all the options that are currently available, but I'll more than likely use many. and If more and more and more are added, then I'll have a larger pool of options at my disposal and I'll probably use many of them.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Old 08-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #16
Alex Stone

Quote:
(i mean real posts instead of high fives and pipe-smoking in the skin section.)
Now you see, you were doing fine until you wrote this, and then i realised you were serious. Some of us occasional pipe smokers don't hang around the skin section, and we don't do high fives, and smoke something other than skunk.
In fact the best pipe tobacco i ever had the privilege to smoke i purchased from a very short chap in a pub.

Not only that, many use this program for more than home hobby, and are watching with interest as it develops further. I'm not sure who's button you're trying to push here, but ranting about incomplete this, and unfinished that makes me laugh at your really poor use of analogy. I've been using 'professional' DAWs since atari days, and none of them have EVER been finished. It's entirely useful to have a decent open discussion about this stuff, but you're coming across at the moment like a disgruntled and frightened Yamaberg Executive. Try and make it a bit more civilised and intelligent, yes? Maybe with examples, so if it's neccessary, we'll either agree with you, or get the armour on, and draw swords.

And the tobacco?

It was the finest pipe weed in the West Farthing.

Alex.
Alex Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:52 PM   #17
reapercurious

must have pushed YOUR button, alex, look at you go! (nice paragraph)

glad people know how to stay on topic.

lets ban the guy that keeps attacking me with off topic stuff? anyone?

yeah, i can imagine that reaper people dont like me very much right now.

because i can articulately, intelligently express not only my point, but other people on the forum that believe the grid section is the worst ever seen in any DAW.

lets at least stay on topic? i dont see anyone confronting the issue as logically and pointedly as myself.

that's the difference between a troll and a sound designer.

(lets see people try to stay on topic instead of brag about how sane and on the dole they are/seem.)
Old 08-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #18
Tallisman

I don't think anyone here will tell you that Reaper has no areas in need of improvement. There are many, and slowly (well at light speed compared to other DAWs) they are getting the kinks worked out.

The many options is not the problem. When the kinks are gone and the options remain then we'll have DAWrvana.

There are some things that are odd at the start, and even odd once you get used to the way they work (like the grid), but offer, in their oddity, very cool new possibilities. That said, perhaps the truth of the matter is that at this point in the evolution, Beloved Reaper is just not congruent with you requirements.

as for the comment about having to re-configure a collaborator's machine in order to do your thang... ya you'd have to do this, OR you could run your session from your pen drive, as it runs in your regular studio. I love having that option!

many greetings.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #19
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
as for the comment about having to re-configure a collaborator's machine in order to do your thang... ya you'd have to do this, OR you could run your session from your pen drive, as it runs in your regular studio. I love having that option!

many greetings.
pwned.

anyway, yeah i think we all know reaper needs improvement, no one here is glossing over that.

but theres a certain attitude that is detrimental to the process, and either you are showing it, or you must be joking...
Old 08-09-2007, 09:36 PM   #20
reapercurious

Default on topic and being funny. is it possible? so far, most of you are 0 for 2

just flip the invert phase switch in your brain if you dont like how i stayed on topic. *

from now on, * will be defined by:
(*=(reply with your witty off topic retort here))

none of you have a right to judge my tone. * if you were really serious, you would think hard about my suggestions instead of taking things personal over the internet, that's lame. * reaper will become great, but its not great now. * that's why i enthusiastically interjected with my opinions. * your loss if you dont silently appreciate that and implement it. * i speak for more than just myself. * your loss. just my time. not yours. * get over it. * im crazy? * so what? * you're crazy if you think you're in a position to call anybody else crazy.*

get over it, and back on topic. *

the grid needs fixing if this program shall be fit for public consumption. * if its only good for you two or three buddie-rows who run the show, have fun and dont let people like me get in the way. * just poke fun at me and distract everyone from the point, just like they do in the other corrupt sectors of the world! *

i sincerely wish you all the best. * even the 15 year old who never tried sony acid. *
Old 08-09-2007, 09:41 PM   #21
Jae.Thomas

jeez, calm down, lets all be humans here.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:04 PM   #22
reapercurious

i just dont want to embarrass myself by using my real name.

im trying to stay anonymous and offer points like:

fix the grid

fix the loop section

otherwise, as i've said in other places, excellent programming to who all programs this program. its good but can be better in at least the two stated ways.

use distraction and smoke screens if you want, just stay on topic. hard isnt it?

---

EDIT INSTEAD OF REPOST:

Oops! I thought this was an entirely different thread, the one about how we dont like the grid settings. Instead, this was a jibe at reaper approaching some kind of code window type reality. like synthedit or max msp, but for dummies. I am sorry for calling some people off topic.

it's just too bad people stop thinking once they become annoyed.

i havent stopped working on the program, you guys have shifted into bailiff mode for this ghost town of a forum that should be a roaring amusement park if not metropolis.

Last edited by reapercurious; 08-09-2007 at 10:22 PM. Reason: instead of re-post, edit below the ---
Old 08-09-2007, 10:14 PM   #23
Tallisman

Quote:
i just dont want to embarrass myself by using my real name.

im trying to stay anonymous and offer points like:

fix the grid

fix the loop section

otherwise, as i've said in other places, excellent programming to who all programs this program. its good but can be better in at least the two stated ways.

use distraction and smoke screens if you want, just stay on topic. hard isnt it?
perhaps the grid isn't broken, but just unfamiliar.
perhaps an option to use a more traditional grid would make Reaper more accessible to a larger userbase.

you mention the loop selection, yet you offer nothing here. I too thought it was a turd - until I adjusted to it, and now, i really like it. And, if you look you will find options to tweak the behaviour of the loop selection.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:33 PM   #24
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
umm, i think you may want to look at the 3 fingers pointing back at you.

from the beginning your post has been unclear and hiding what you really wanted to say apparently, that you dont like the loop selection or the grid.

yay!

now we have something to go on.

I await your input on how to improve the aforementioned features.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:47 PM   #25
Alex Stone

Default Lol.

Reapercurious, you're cracking me up.

Your attempt at mollification is clumsy to say the least, but i guess we can't all be articulate. As far as the grid and loop 'issues' go, staying, quite naturally, on topic, there are feature requests in for both. Had you done a decent search you would have seen this. Or maybe you have, and are simply enjoying a rather aimless baiting exercise, designed to make yourself look important, and the arbiter of all that is 'good' in the effervescent kingdom of daws, and their myriad of delightful and sometimes less than delightful uses.
Stand in the queue. Fora far and wide are replete with your fellow 'gods', each convinced that THEIR way is the only way. One only needs to gracefully peruse the cubase forum to be entertained in such a way. Go there for yourself and search for DX plugins. There is a veritable wealth of english language study, as it's used and abused by those determined to shape and mould a daw in 'their' image.
Why, dear fellow, you could very well be the Noah's Ark of daw wisdom, imbibed as you are with the heady liquor of self perceived wisdom, embarking on the journey of education across the flooded seas of us poor mortals, who, obviously in your omnipotent vision, have little or no knowledge, and for whom, some degree of enthusiasm for the reaper project represents to you, some sort of misguided worship from acolytes of misguided intent.
I urge you, poor fellow, to reconsider your malcontented approach, and review your perception that clumsy peasant belligerence is the way to get things done. Some of us do this for a living, and further, are SMART enough to figure things out for ourselves, at the same time presenting our opinions, requests, and bugspotting in a far more civilised and cordial manner. The fact that we can interact in a civilised and intelligent manner with the developers speaks volumes for the intent and direction of the reaper project, and the quality of the users.
Perhaps you've stumbled in the wrong door, on the way to that less than salibrious nightclub for which you seemed to be bound?
Or more likely, you're here to, in some way, mire the enjoyment of others, perhaps as a representative for some other company who has failed miserably in their attempt to extract cash from us misguided souls, with products that don't work properly, never have, and for whom the same critique that you claim to be genuine, represents an opportunity for them to swiftly silence dissenters, in case the rest catch on that their particular, expensive, program simply doesn't work properly, and was specifically designed that way, as an ongoing gravy train in the pursuit of raw profit?

As for your 'metropolis' notion, i laughed most heartily of all, at the sheer absurdity of this simple minded rhetoric. And you already know the answer to this, don't you.
It's often quiet here because Reaperites are busy getting on with writing music, instead of gnashing their digital teeth, and wringing their pointless hands over the clumsy, poorly programmed failures in some other programs, bloated as so many are with often pointless shiny lights and buttons, that are regurgitated over and over again, in different colours, with different names, in the pursuit of profit. You, on your godlike seat, are oblivous it seems to this, and while i've rather enjoyed writing this post, have no intention of feeding you further publicity in your quest for 'Stardom.'
Enjoy Yourself as you wish, but rid yourself of the notion that many of us actually care, or subscribe to your inability to present your case in a manner more suitable to those of us that have, in a literal sense, evolved BEYOND waving the thigh bone at the moon and howling into the wind, and can instead, discuss issues and challenges in a civilised and decent way, replete with some degree of enthusiasm, and the honourable quest for knowledge.

You've been somewhat amusing Reapercurious, but personally, that's as far as it goes, as you've presented a case of no real worth at all, choosing instead to 'proclaim your arrival', and tripping over your homemade robes in the process.

If you need help in putting coherent sentences together in an amiable and intelligent fashion, then ask. There are many decent and knowledgable fellows here who will point you in the 'right' direction.

Alex.

Last edited by Alex Stone; 08-10-2007 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:05 AM   #26
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregh View Post
jason, the issues with reapercurious and the grid have already been addressed elsewhere in the forum -
oops sorry, since my studio has been deconstructed temporarily i havent been as involved in relevant threads as much as i used to be

(set to change soon)
Old 08-10-2007, 12:08 AM   #27
Tallisman

Alex Stone
best post ever!

Old 08-10-2007, 12:30 AM   #28
James HE

Now that was fun.

"waving the thighbone into the moon..."

man, that's too funny.

Well, i think reapercurious is just a little too excited is all. And is wound up by the grid settings. Well the grid settings are sort of odd. 1/4 translating into a 16th note is awkward. But having the ability to show and snap to odd grids is nice, like for 16th note 5-tuplets and the like. Takes me a bit of time and some brainpower to figure out I need to type in 1/2.5 to get that grid spacing. I think that should be changed, or rather added to, to include half, quarter, eighth, sixteenth, etc... That should be the drop menu.

(i'm speaking more about the MIDI editor here. Grid / snap in the main timeline doesn't come into play for me a lot. - just set it to 1 per beat and let time signature markers work the grid.)

This is frustrating to a lot of us, cause it simply ignores the conventions of written music.

This might change, might not. I won't let it stop me eitherway.

Last edited by James HE; 08-10-2007 at 12:33 AM.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:46 AM   #29
Alex Stone

Default Grid.

Thank you gentlemen.

And i agree with the FR that musically denoted grid settings in the editor would be a valuable plus. I cannot however agree with reapercurious that the grid settings are the worst in any daw. I've used most of the daws on the market since their inception, and there is more than one who although seeming to present well, don't actually work properly, with misguided quantize, and forced settings with little opportunity for the user to invoke some degree of Rubato.

I'm sure Justin and the team read the FR section regularly, so i feel little need to regurgitate something that is in the pipeline, so to speak. That entire section is filled with some great ideas that relate directly to improved workflow, and exciting options for the future, and in the meantime, i'm getting on with writing music, while the team develop the program further.

I continue to enjoy the rather original notion in our niche realm of Dawdom, that Reaper ACTUALLY WORKS, and doesn't present me with the frustrating challenge of developing a considerable number of irritating workarounds.

Alex.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:56 AM   #30
Tallisman

Alex I urge you to get mildly vexed at least once a week and author posts like the one above... like a weekly column or something, just for fun and flavour.

I think i've read that 5 times and laughed aloud on each pass.
crap! i woke the kids

Old 08-11-2007, 04:36 AM   #31
Bulls Hit

Quote:

Oops! I thought this was an entirely different thread, the one about how we dont like the grid settings. Instead, this was a jibe at reaper approaching some kind of code window type reality. like synthedit or max msp, but for dummies. I am sorry for calling some people off topic.

it's just too bad people stop thinking once they become annoyed.

i havent stopped working on the program, you guys have shifted into bailiff mode for this ghost town of a forum that should be a roaring amusement park if not metropolis.
I have a simple solution to your problem. Try typing with BOTH hands on the keyboard
Bulls Hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:07 AM   #32
Diogenes

Nice post Alex. While I doubt I have used as many DAW softies as you have, I do know this... there is NOT a "Dream DAW" ANYWHERE and there likely never will be. Too many people with different needs and working methods out there. For example, probably 95% of my DAW'ing is one man band stuff. I use probably three or four different programs depending on where the muse leads. None of them do everything I need to do to finish the job. I might compose a song structure in Band-In-A-Box using the tools it has and Rolands VSC for sounds. I'll save the MIDI and import it into Reaper where the FX handling, routing and a gazillion other little things make finishing the song by adding real instruments and using better virtual instruments is sooo painless and easy. I may or may not pull the finished project into Audition for "Mastering". I find I am using Audition less and less as the tools available in Reaper these days make for a fine mastering setup.

So there are three programs used to do one song. If SERIOUS MIDI editing becomes an issue, I might fire up Power Tracks Pro for that... but again, the MIDI tools in Reaper are getting better and better. Why not do it all in PTPro? Because (IMO) the audio recording, mixing and FX handling in PTPro sucks.

Reapercurious says finish the basics before adding more stuff. Well (again IMO) "basics" for a DAW is getting audio into and out of your PC sound device with the tools to mix and manipulate that audio as painlessly and efficiently as possible. So far, I have found NOTHING that tops Reaper in that department. When the MIDI stuff catches up... look out... you might have your "dreamreaper". I doubt it though because nothing, nothing is absolutely perfect.

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:38 PM   #33
Alex Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
Nice post Alex. While I doubt I have used as many DAW softies as you have, I do know this... there is NOT a "Dream DAW" ANYWHERE and there likely never will be. Too many people with different needs and working methods out there. For example, probably 95% of my DAW'ing is one man band stuff. I use probably three or four different programs depending on where the muse leads. None of them do everything I need to do to finish the job. I might compose a song structure in Band-In-A-Box using the tools it has and Rolands VSC for sounds. I'll save the MIDI and import it into Reaper where the FX handling, routing and a gazillion other little things make finishing the song by adding real instruments and using better virtual instruments is sooo painless and easy. I may or may not pull the finished project into Audition for "Mastering". I find I am using Audition less and less as the tools available in Reaper these days make for a fine mastering setup.

So there are three programs used to do one song. If SERIOUS MIDI editing becomes an issue, I might fire up Power Tracks Pro for that... but again, the MIDI tools in Reaper are getting better and better. Why not do it all in PTPro? Because (IMO) the audio recording, mixing and FX handling in PTPro sucks.
Yes D, I'm the same, often using three progs to finish a job. A lot of the time, i write the score out by hand, then put everything in ala MIDI, tweak and finish.
(Tweak and finish....Damn, that sounds like a dodgy viagra advert... ) But as one who keeps it simple, to keep the 'flow' up, Reaper's already reasonably competent, and not a disaster. It's bloody fast at render midi to audio, and as that's part of my workflow, i get it with reaper straight away. (Less tweak, more finish, lol)
Quote:
Reapercurious says finish the basics before adding more stuff. Well (again IMO) "basics" for a DAW is getting audio into and out of your PC sound device with the tools to mix and manipulate that audio as painlessly and efficiently as possible. So far, I have found NOTHING that tops Reaper in that department. When the MIDI stuff catches up... look out... you might have your "dreamreaper". I doubt it though because nothing, nothing is absolutely perfect.

D
Count me in, D. Using Daws is mostly juggling compromises, and has been since the start. More than once in the beginning, i'd throw up my hands in frustration, and drag out the eight track, and synced reel to reel. (Grundig, nice deck)
Gradually, and typically, Daw developers offered the world, and while some gave us New Zealand, others, full of sales bluster and corporate BS, gave us Pluto.
I've seen the equivalent of audio splicing come and go in DAWs more than once, as the same function gets put in the dodgy initial release, gets removed in release 2, and gets reinvented with new colours, fonts, and name in release 3, and STILL have issues, or simply not work. I'm afraid when i comes to daws and their slick ad campaigns, they're wasting their breath with me. They had enough cash at the start, and for a couple of 'evolutionary' cycles since then.
None of them are perfect, and a lot, despite the slick campaigns are FAR from perfect. But there are some gems here and there that don't offer Pluto, and give us Mars, which in my book is a lot closer to the digital truth. Sequoia, for example, has a good reputation for a really efficient audio engine. I've heard it, and used someone else's rig to try it out. Not bad at all. And then there's Logic, which, before Steve Job (Tweak and finish?) got involved, was in the hands of emagic, who were developing the prog (from an old notation and arrange prog called Notation) in a reasonable fashion. I've still got 2, 3, 4.8, and 5.5, somewhere, and while audio was decidely problematic, the midi was quite reasonable, and the notation was pretty well crap, and still is.

All of these programs have one thing in common, and that's the desire on the part of the present developers to make the damn things as convoluted as possible, always short of being complete to keep the turnover cash rolling in, and oblivious to the FUNDAMENTAL desire of any User/customer. THEY HAVE TO WORK PROPERLY. ESPECIALLY WHEN THE CLIENT IS DRINKING YOUR COFFEE, AND CHOKING YOUR CAT WITH THE STENCH OF HIS UNWASHED SOCKS.

And this where Reaper has got my cynically reluctant, hard earned cash.

I don't want to spend a month building a full orchestral template, and get the celestial physics manual out to route the damn thing.

I don't want to use a 'control room' to oversee the entire musical empire. (What am I. A railway signalman?) I can see what's in it, because i wrote it, and did the inputting. After a coupla hundred bars of repetition putting takes, rubato, and eq on each line, I KNOW how it looks and sounds.

I don't want to buy expensive, dubious, hardware, because the software and the parent company shareholders demand it. What a sick con that is.

I don't want to start seeing the BSOD because the daw doesn't 'like' the plugins i do. Tough. The plugins are cool, the daw gets a divorce.

If the studio i happen to be working with wants the stuff in a particular format, they get it.
WAV.
(I'm quite reasonable, and let them choose a bit rate that i'm happy with. I know, call me old fashioned.)

It's the elegant simplicity in Reaper that i like. A to B to C, without having to don a spacesuit, and go farting into the night searching for answers. It's easy, fast, and powerful, and does the job. That's what daws are supposed to do, aren't they?

Alex.

Last edited by Alex Stone; 08-11-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:55 PM   #34
Jae.Thomas

mbuzz in disguise?

after all, he is the famed "mike buzzetti" -- and they seem to have similar posting styles. I suppose if i were him i would be embarrassed to show up here too. Funny how he made his rep even worse, if it is indeed him.

Last edited by Jae.Thomas; 08-11-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:45 PM   #35
Alex Stone

Default Who?

Jason, i didn't get this to begin with, until by a remarkable coincidence, mbuzz posted in another thread.

I get it now.

Alex.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:04 PM   #36
Jae.Thomas

yeah search his posts to find more interesting things.