Old 10-10-2019, 09:17 PM   #41
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Hmm, I'd always associated the brown M&M's story with GnR.
Watch this.

Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:44 PM   #42
ashcat_lt

I play like I mean it, and that's all I really want when I'm in the crowd.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:49 PM   #43
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Watch this.
Heheh, ok I believe you. That actually looks a lot like Denver in the background.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:20 AM   #44
fred garvin

"I'm kind of over getting told to throw my hands up in the air. So there." - Lorde

For a lot of people 11 minutes of Juke Box Hero is at least 3rd circle hell-ish. Also I caught the guitarist looking at his fingers. Playing like, 4ths. So, finger. But why hate? I wouldn't have walked out, just never would have gone to something I'm not much into. I like that first album but that was a long long time ago.

The Sheryl Crow clip was a little weak though, true. Why not hire or borrow keys and have a front person? That had a bit of a contractual obligation vibe.

As a performer I was always a drummer and yah, I brought it. Broken sticks everywhere lol. Signed one for a dude once despite no one including me having any idea who I was. Once I lost one and managed to turn off the bass amp from across the stage.
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:49 AM   #45
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I hear these guys are still cruising the pub circuit in the UK?
I don't know what the rest of them are doing, but Wilko Johnson became more famous than he ever was a few years ago. He was told he was going to die by doctors so recorded a farewell album and started touring to see his last days out. Became a big bittersweet motivational story in the media. Then he made a miraculous recovery and went on to get into acting (he's in Game of Thrones) and continue his music career.

Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:43 AM   #46
Coachz

Quote:
Watch this.

Good story. I tried to watch his other interview videos (vlog? ) but found him really annoying. He seems like the kind of person I would not enjoy.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:45 AM   #47
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred garvin View Post
"I'm kind of over getting told to throw my hands up in the air. So there." - Lorde

For a lot of people 11 minutes of Juke Box Hero is at least 3rd circle hell-ish. Also I caught the guitarist looking at his fingers. Playing like, 4ths. So, finger. But why hate? I wouldn't have walked out, just never would have gone to something I'm not much into. I like that first album but that was a long long time ago.

The Sheryl Crow clip was a little weak though, true. Why not hire or borrow keys and have a front person? That had a bit of a contractual obligation vibe.

As a performer I was always a drummer and yah, I brought it. Broken sticks everywhere lol. Signed one for a dude once despite no one including me having any idea who I was. Once I lost one and managed to turn off the bass amp from across the stage.
Did you watch the 11 minute joke box here video?
Old 10-11-2019, 08:31 AM   #48
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Did you watch the 11 minute joke box here video?
Yup. "Put your hands in the air" - check. Extended guitar solo - check. Extended extended guitar solo - check. Guy in the not crowded front row checking his watch - check.

Definitely a skilled, polished, thoroughly professional performance though. But for me, somewhat representing a kind of rock music that led me to a point of not listening to rock music much for years a while back. To me, representing kind of an objectivism of the intrinsically subjective... the whole if you play a longer solo with more notes in it you're a "better" musician thing.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:47 AM   #49
Coachz

Quote:
objectivism of the intrinsically subjective
Yeah you should definitely be listening to classical and opera.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:49 AM   #50
nait

Quote:
Watch this.
Haha, that guy can talk your ear off for hours, by the looks of things. At first I was like," dude, just answer the question".. and then slowly started to realize that this whole spiel was quite relevant to the question. I love how he ended the story. Made me laugh. Funny how a $200 incident on his part was blown up to be a half-mill incident on his part (the floor damage wasn't his fault, of course).
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #51
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
Haha, that guy can talk your ear off for hours, by the looks of things. At first I was like," dude, just answer the question".. and then slowly started to realize that this whole spiel was quite relevant to the question. I love how he ended the story. Made me laugh. Funny how a $200 incident on his part was blown up to be a half-mill incident on his part (the floor damage wasn't his fault, of course).
Do you know who that dude is ?
Old 10-11-2019, 08:54 AM   #52
Glennbo

Quote:
Extended guitar solo - check. Extended extended guitar solo - check.
I never liked guitar solos that go on and on. To me solos in songs should have a melody that is signature to the song, even if the guitarist plays around within that melody. A guy I opened for, "Johnny A" does a version of Jimi Hendrix Wind Cries Mary, and although he does a totally different version of the song, when it gets to the guitar solo, he plays Jimi's solo, but within the framework of his version of the song. He told me he thought it would be blasphemy to do his own or some extended version of that signature solo.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:56 AM   #53
nait

Different strokes for different folks, but if you're watching a Foreigner concert, I'm guessing you're OK with hearing a pretty extended version of Juke Box Hero.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #54
nait

Quote:
Do you know who that dude is ?
Oh yeah, of course I do. I love Van Halen. And I know DLR is pretty crazy, and copious amounts of drugs tend to lead to verbal diarrhea, but just thought it was funny how he rambled on and on. But it ended up being a fairly good story.

Edit: Actually, on the note of someone not knowing who DLR is.... I'm not sure if it was ever posted here, but a few months ago I saw a video where David Lee Roth was walking around in a hotel and he heard someone blasting a VH tune. He knocked on the door and some 18-25 ish guys answered. DLR was laughing about it with them and never actually specifically said "that's my music", expecting they'd know him. The guys in the apartment either were completely star struck or they had no idea who he was though (it appeared more to be the latter).. just some random guy with camera crew following him around that loves loud music, in their eyes. Pretty funny.

Last edited by nait; 10-11-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #55
davetbass

Well, when I played bass, I wasn't the most physically active, but who looks at the bass player anyway? lol. Sometimes energy and audience interaction can seems forced and rehearsed, not sure how much these guys rehearsed their moves, but it's definitely working

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXYufvzHXno
davetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #56
tls11823

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetbass View Post
Well, when I played bass, I wasn't the most physically active, but who looks at the bass player anyway?
John Entwistle pretty much stood still while Pete and Roger galloped and slid across the stage and Keith did his madman thing behind the drum kit. But, while John's feet didn't move, his fingers sure did. I'll take that any day.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #57
fred garvin

Quote:
Yeah you should definitely be listening to classical and opera.
Hit a nerve? Sorry. But why put something up for discussion if you don't want it discussed?
Old 10-11-2019, 11:42 AM   #58
Coachz

Quote:
Hit a nerve? Sorry. But why put something up for discussion if you don't want it discussed?
I'm all for discussion, it just seems you are overthinking the visceral experience of rock and roll. It's all good.

As long as cocoa beans grow on trees, chocolate is fruit to me.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #59
ashcat_lt

The most recent incarnation of the Lorenzo’s Tractor live band lasted a couple years, but I had to fire them all over dress code violations. Two of them wore LT shirts on stage at an LT show, and the other wore camouflage cargo shorts to a gig.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:35 AM   #60
fred garvin

@Coachz: Cool. Yah, visceral, that's a great way to put it, that's what I'm looking for. That punch in the gut. Of feels.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:16 AM   #61
chip mcdonald

Quote:

Grateful Dead......kept tuning up forever between songs....walked out.
Fleetwood Mac.....looked very unhappy to be there....walked out
I'd go across the street and see Pat Benatar or Mother's Finest who brought it.
I think your enthusiasm for certain bands and not for others colored your expectations. I can't imagine walking out on a Fleetwood Mac show. Myron Grombacher sort of did his Keith Moon spaz out bit on drums, but it's not like Pat Benetar ran around like David Lee Roth or Neil Geraldo did splits off the drum riser, for the most part he stood there not much differently than Jerry Garcia. Maybe he Aggressively Gestured with his shoulders at the end of the solo on Promises in the Dark.

I'm completely tired of bands "bringing it", spazzing out on stage like nobody has ever heard Yet Another Version of ersatz rock music.

Bring good music. Tom Petty, Pink Floyd, Eagles, ELO, et al never had to pretend they're grounding 110 a/c through their torso in order to have people want to see them play.

I am SO sick of acting on stage. There's a difference between "contextural spontaneous kinesthetic animation" and Your Expected Kool Stage Mooves. Yeah, expected to see VanHalen jump around, the music matches it. Do I want to see David Gilmour pogo around, contort like a post-Emo bozo All-Ages Show Metuhl Band, pretend to have a seizure?

By Today's Standards Pat Benetar and Foreigner *wouldn't* bring it, because they never acted like they're being electrocuted.

Grand Mal Seizure/Electrocution = "bringing it" in 2019. You also have to say "put your hands in the airrrrr!" about 9,000 times during a show, and YELL LIKE THERE'S AN INVISIBLE EMERGENCY SIMULTANEOUSLY GOING ON!!!!!!!!! constantly between every other stanza. There is also a prerequisite number of "WOOOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!"s you have to shout randomly, and ironically it would seem every act on the planet has decided to take Bruce Dickenson's "LET ME HEAR YOU SCREAAAAAAMMMMMM!" as a mandatory act of "bringing it", regardless of whether it's a "country" show or whatever.

Frak that crap. Nobody expected to see Walter Fagan show up in a duck outfit and bang out clusters with his feet and somehow Steely Dan is still and act that sells out shows.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:18 AM   #62
chip mcdonald

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH REAPER FORUM HOW YA DOING TONIGHT WOOOOOH!

LET ME SEE THOSE HANDS!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOHHHHH!

EVERYBODY SCREAM YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH !!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH! HERE'S OUR NEXT SONG CALLED "VCA FADERS FX WINDOWS AND MIDI EDITORS" WOOOOOOHH!!!! EVERYONE HAVING A GOOD TIME REAPER FORUM?
WOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!

PUT THOSE HANDS IN THE AIR LET ME SEE THOSE HANDS WOOOOOOOOHHH!

(spins Kensington track ball furiously)

/ bringin' it
Old 10-12-2019, 06:44 AM   #63
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
I think your enthusiasm for certain bands and not for others colored your expectations. I can't imagine walking out on a Fleetwood Mac show. Myron Grombacher sort of did his Keith Moon spaz out bit on drums, but it's not like Pat Benetar ran around like David Lee Roth or Neil Geraldo did splits off the drum riser, for the most part he stood there not much differently than Jerry Garcia. Maybe he Aggressively Gestured with his shoulders at the end of the solo on Promises in the Dark.

I'm completely tired of bands "bringing it", spazzing out on stage like nobody has ever heard Yet Another Version of ersatz rock music.

Bring good music. Tom Petty, Pink Floyd, Eagles, ELO, et al never had to pretend they're grounding 110 a/c through their torso in order to have people want to see them play.

I am SO sick of acting on stage. There's a difference between "contextural spontaneous kinesthetic animation" and Your Expected Kool Stage Mooves. Yeah, expected to see VanHalen jump around, the music matches it. Do I want to see David Gilmour pogo around, contort like a post-Emo bozo All-Ages Show Metuhl Band, pretend to have a seizure?

By Today's Standards Pat Benetar and Foreigner *wouldn't* bring it, because they never acted like they're being electrocuted.

Grand Mal Seizure/Electrocution = "bringing it" in 2019. You also have to say "put your hands in the airrrrr!" about 9,000 times during a show, and YELL LIKE THERE'S AN INVISIBLE EMERGENCY SIMULTANEOUSLY GOING ON!!!!!!!!! constantly between every other stanza. There is also a prerequisite number of "WOOOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!"s you have to shout randomly, and ironically it would seem every act on the planet has decided to take Bruce Dickenson's "LET ME HEAR YOU SCREAAAAAAMMMMMM!" as a mandatory act of "bringing it", regardless of whether it's a "country" show or whatever.

Frak that crap. Nobody expected to see Walter Fagan show up in a duck outfit and bang out clusters with his feet and somehow Steely Dan is still and act that sells out shows.
Pat Benatar may not have run around on stage like Eddie Van Halen but she brought the performance. Vocals killed, she communicated with the crowd and she genuinely looked like she was having a great time and happy to be there. Fleetwood Mac on the other hand look like they were showing up for a Burger King job that they didn't want to be at. Ain't nobody got time for that
Old 10-12-2019, 06:46 AM   #64
Coachz

Quote:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH! HERE'S OUR NEXT SONG CALLED "VCA FADERS FX WINDOWS AND MIDI EDITORS" WOOOOOOHH!!!! EVERYONE HAVING A GOOD TIME REAPER FORUM?
WOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!

/ bringin' it
All caps lacks Dynamics. Too much compression I fear :-)

(spins Kensington track ball furiously) hilarious!
Old 10-12-2019, 12:34 PM   #65
Jeffsounds

Quote:
I can't imagine walking out on a Fleetwood Mac show.
I can't imagine walking IN to a Fleetwood Mac show. <ducking> but I agree with pretty much everything else you said.

Quote:

WOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!

/ bringin' it
TOO funny! Made my day... thanks!
Old 10-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #66
Eddy

I peformed onstage with Flume a few weeks ago. 30,000 people - $4million in tickets sitting out front - no guitars at all. Our part of the performance was totally chill without any "rock" stuff at all. Good light/fx show tho. Excellent interaction with the crowd from Flume, incredibly pro well though out stage show. Crowd loved it.

Best "rock" performers I have seen - probably Nick Cave and The Boys next Door in the very very early days. They would play a room of 10 people like it was a thousand. Every gig was intense. I wouldn't expect too much physical energy from the acts mentioned above tho eg fleetwood mac - eddie van halen etc - they're all 60/70 years old plus.

Of course there are conventions in performance and the audience have an expectation but great performers can hold the audience with very little physical histrionics - think of live theatre.

Last edited by Eddy; 10-12-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #67
Eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
I play like I mean it, and that's all I really want when I'm in the crowd.
yes - the biggest part is being fully in the moment of the performance. Actors "act" and can switch in and out of a performance on stage (which can be quite disarming when you see it directed at you) but when they are in the acting mode that is what their minds are fully on. Same for musicians. A great performance is from a completely engaged performer.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #68
fred garvin

Quote:
not like Pat Benetar ran around like David Lee Roth
But still... OK so I sometimes will watch American Idol. Don't like to be entirely out of touch with pop culture. Anyway so they had Pat Benetar on, and Lionel Richie demonstrated that Pat had more attitude and intensity and commanded more attention than anyone else in the room just stepping on stage and picking up a mic. And he was dead right. Her posture was so confident and aggressive she looked like she was gonna slap someone with that mic, without anything to overtly signal that.

Which I guess goes to show both that Pat Benetar brings it and you don't have climb the walls to bring it.

And yah Myron was awesome... OMG LOL WTF:
https://www.porschewoodlandhills.com/about-us/staff/
https://www.porschewoodlandhills.com...staff/#bio-249
Good for him. Any you ballas out there drop by and buy a Spyder from Myron.

Last edited by fred garvin; 10-12-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:21 PM   #69
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Flume
Cool. The music is so spare it really lets the vocals shine. Did you meet Tove Lo? She's amazing.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:52 PM   #70
Eddy

Quote:
Cool. The music is so spare it really lets the vocals shine. Did you meet Tove Lo? She's amazing.
No I didn't - or maybe I did in the huge lounge setup where all the performers hung out before and after they went on. I chatted with a few people then. Basically the whole show was incredibly well organised, everyone incredibly polite and friendly and focussed, you hung out in the lounge/food area (complete with masseurs) until your call, then you got shunted the 100 metres to the stage in a car, climbed some stairs, got met by the stage manager, hung about for 20 mins or so, stage manager comes back leads you through all the smoke and lights to the stage itself, do the act (in our case a TaiChi performance that sort of ressurects Flume), leave the stage, get shunted back in a car.

Watching from backstage the person who I thought totally lit up the stage was Vera Blue - she was quite amazing.

Last edited by Eddy; 10-13-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:32 PM   #71
numberthirty

Quote:
Good story. I tried to watch his other interview videos (vlog? ) but found him really annoying. He seems like the kind of person I would not enjoy.
We talking "As A Performer I Could Go See..."?
numberthirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:44 PM   #72
Glennbo

Here's a clip of a band bringing it. Eddie Van Halen, Jan Hammer, and Tony Levin. Yeah OK maybe they were having an off night.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:02 AM   #73
fred garvin

@Glennbo: Seen that before but it still gets me. That Johnny guy you posted got skillz. Funny that he takes so many liberties with the song itself but insists on playing the solo. Which is good, kinda regrounds the song to itself.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:16 AM   #74
Glennbo

Quote:
@Glennbo: Seen that before but it still gets me. That Johnny guy you posted got skillz. Funny that he takes so many liberties with the song itself but insists on playing the solo. Which is good, kinda regrounds the song to itself.
Johnny A's band doesn't dance around on stage, nor do they call out to the audience and try to get them all yelling. Johnny A sits on a stool when he plays, and it's all about the music and none about a visual experience. Personally, I can dig either. One band I played in had a running gig at a supper club kind of place where people got a meal and a beer. We had to play more quietly than normal, but after every solo by any member of the band, people would stop and there would be a roaring round of applause.

Hehe, the shed dood is obviously a great guitarist to be able to dub himself in so convincingly. It's hilarious because so many people totally buy it that it is really the sound that goes with the vid.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:17 AM   #75
Coachz

Quote:
Here's a clip of a band bringing it. Eddie Van Halen, Jan Hammer, and Tony Levin. Yeah OK maybe they were having an off night.

Those shreds videos are so hilarious.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:32 AM   #76
Glennbo

Quote:
He does those shred videos so convincingly that the keyboard guy who plays on a lot of my songs, and who can really shred on keys,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4iwfzFxrIo

was believing it at first when I showed him that vid.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:04 PM   #77
vassaux

From about 1995 to 2008, my company provided the camera and video services for an amphitheater. Saw a lot of shows as a cameraman, and a video director. The show that blew my doors off, in all those years, was Emerson, Lake and Palmer. They were amazing, beginning to end. I saw them with Tull (they were swapping the headline spot), I couldn't believe Tull would go on after that.

I'm a Rush fan, so I've always been cool with good visuals, the band tends to be concentrating enough to keep them busy.

Other shows that were memorable (some repeatedly so) were Pat Benetar, Charlie Daniels, Peter Gabriel and, believe it or not, Meatloaf. Aerosmith were always fun, and Steven Tyler said many of the funniest things I ever heard backstage, all on different shows.
vassaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:32 PM   #78
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassaux View Post
From about 1995 to 2008, my company provided the camera and video services for an amphitheater. Saw a lot of shows as a cameraman, and a video director. The show that blew my doors off, in all those years, was Emerson, Lake and Palmer. They were amazing, beginning to end.
I saw them in quad, and at the end of Karn Evil #9 the sample and hold thing Emerson did on his modular Moog that gets faster and faster, they had it panning slow, then faster, and faster until it was whirling around us like a twister, and right when it stopped a bunch of stuff blew up on stage. That and watching Emerson rip the tapes out of his Mellotron while rocking it back and forth and getting feedback off the tape heads was a show in and of itself.

And the music was phenomenal as I expected it would be.

Two other bands I saw right around the same time that were also freeking great shows were Yes on the Close to the edge tour also in quad, and Chicago with Terry Kath playing like the legendary guitarist he was.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:31 PM   #79
fred garvin

Quote:
O.M.G. I had only seen the one, did not realize there were others. I suppose I'm late to the party as usual and everyone else has already seen them all, but can't resist posting this... just the link:

P.I.S.S. (guess who) - Chunky Pee
https://youtu.be/Qvv8MYP0YMI

Full song dub including bizarre parody vocals And yah, tremendous skills, the vocal dubs are insane.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:34 PM   #80
Glennbo

Quote:
O.M.G. I had only seen the one, did not realize there were others. I suppose I'm late to the party as usual and everyone else has already seen them all, but can't resist posting this... just the link:

P.I.S.S. (guess who) - Chunky Pee
https://youtu.be/Qvv8MYP0YMI

Full song dub including bizarre parody vocals And yah, tremendous skills, the vocal dubs are insane.
THAT, is farking hilarious!!!

Did you see the Hocus Pocus by Focus vid? Holy crap I almost peed in my pants!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OBz...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Glennbo; 10-13-2019 at 09:28 PM.