Old 05-28-2008, 07:23 AM   #1
.matt.
Human being with feelings

Default Fatal Error :)

hi!

not really fatal but the pc says critical error and yeah i see a blue screen and then an automatic reboot when I'm using reaper just like that... in the short amount of time the blue screen was on i could read something about physical memory. when I disable many processes from windows then it's not so likely that this error occurs however it always does when i want to use a specific bank from a vst plug in (it from guitar rig2 -> modifications).

if anyone knows anything about this please get back to me.

cheers
.matt.
.matt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

Right click "my computer" => properties => advanced => startup and recovery settings => deselect "automatically restart" under "system failure". This will leave the blue screen up until you physically restart the PC, so you can read the error message.

Often the error will refer to a .sys file, indicating a buggy device driver, if you then google the name of the file you can figure out which device it is driving, and check with the manufacturer to see if there is an updated driver available.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
.matt.

I'll try that

cheers

.matt.
.matt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:57 PM   #4
dasdeck

[QUOTE=schwa;189821]Right click "my computer" => properties => advanced => startup and recovery settings => deselect "automatically restart" under "system failure". This will leave the blue screen up until you physically restart the PC, so you can read the error message.
QUOTE]

cool, didn't know that. might come handy. did never see a blue screen on my current computer thought .

peace!

D3CK
dasdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
dougboe

Default fatal error: re-opening/view of FX browser

if I close out an fx browser (any VSTi or DXi instrument), then try to open it again from the view menu, I have a blue screen fatal error every time

what's the deal?
dougboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Welcome to the forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougboe View Post
what's the deal?
That's hard to tell without knowing what the exact error message and the faulting module is. A little information about your computer/soundcard could help too.

Last edited by Ollie; 03-16-2009 at 09:12 AM. Reason: damn touchpad :)
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
dougboe

Default found work-around, still have questions

I'm truly grateful you responded, thank you! Upon experimenting further, I notice that re-opening the FX browser will cause a blue screen shutdown if, e.g., I click "DXi: VST Strings" (one of Safwan Matni's nice little instruments), but no such error if I click "VST Strings". No such error either way with a commercial program such as Miroslav Philharmonk.

So I have a work-around figured out. However, I'm curious:

Running XP on eMachines W3644, AMD Sempron LE-1200, 2.11 GHz, 1.87 GB RAM, Realtek HD Audio soundcard. Is DXi designed for a Mac system rather than my PC? Maybe when I run Cakewalk VST adapter I should eliminate the DXi option? It's redundant and I've noticed more latency than if I go directly to the VST of the same instrument, which runs faster.

My blue screen says:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT LESS_OR_EQUAL
Stop: OXOOOOOOD1 (OXOOOOOO, OXOOOOO2, OXOOOOOO,)XB3D992B6)
*** RtkHDAud.sys- Address B3D992B6 base at B3B9600, DateStamp 47020208

Windows error signature:
BCCode: 100000d1 BCP1: 00000000 BCP2: 00000002 BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: B3D992B6 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 3_0 Product 768_1

Files: WERc1fd.dir00\mini031809-01dmp and sysdata.xml

THANK YOU!
Old 03-19-2009, 01:31 AM   #8
Ollie

Quote:
I'm truly grateful you responded, thank you! Upon experimenting further, I notice that re-opening the FX browser will cause a blue screen shutdown if, e.g., I click "DXi: VST Strings" (one of Safwan Matni's nice little instruments), but no such error if I click "VST Strings". No such error either way with a commercial program such as Miroslav Philharmonk.
All of these little plugins are made with SynthEdit and there are various problems in SE, causing crashes and weird behavior of all sorts sometimes. I'm a bit puzzled why the String synth shows up as DXi though, I downloaded it and there's only a VST DLL. Do you use some kind of DXi wrapper? I imagine that would be even more prone to crash.

Quote:
So I have a work-around figured out. However, I'm curious:
[...]
Is DXi designed for a Mac system rather than my PC? Maybe when I run Cakewalk VST adapter I should eliminate the DXi option? It's redundant and I've noticed more latency than if I go directly to the VST of the same instrument, which runs faster.
There are problems with DXi (DXi is Microsoft and PC btw) sometimes, so if you have a chance to use VST instead, do that.

Quote:
My blue screen says:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT LESS_OR_EQUAL
Stop: OXOOOOOOD1 (OXOOOOOO, OXOOOOO2, OXOOOOOO,)XB3D992B6)
*** RtkHDAud.sys- Address B3D992B6 base at B3B9600, DateStamp 47020208
That seems to be typical for Realtek onboard chips + ASIO4ALL: If a plugin crashes the host, the WDM driver (RTKHDAUD.sys) wrapped in ASIO4ALL goes down the drain with it and produces exactly this BSOD. This happens only on XP and is nothing to worry about too much, just annoying to have a BSOD instead of a crash-to-desktop. Just don't use plugins that make the host crash.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
dougboe

Default blue screen issue answered

all great to know, very cool

I'll quit using the DXi wrappers

one last question, given what you know about my setup, what's a better driver than ASIO 4all?

don't know it's a factor, but I run an Edirol keyboard...

regards, doug boe
Old 03-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #10
Ollie

Quote:
one last question, given what you know about my setup, what's a better driver than ASIO 4all?
I'm afraid that's all there is for onboard chips.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #11
dougboe

Default Realtek HD card vs. m-Audio Delta audiophile 192

I disabled the stock Realtek HD audio in my dirt cheap eMachines w3644 with XP Home Edition, that I got from Wal Mart. Installed an m-Audio Delta Audiophile 192----cost $175, almost as much as the computer. Money well spent!

Before, I had horrible latency (delay) impossible to fix by endless tweaking of ASIO settings. Also stuttering, dropouts, bluescreen system crashes. Now I have basically zero audible latency. I still have crashes when using Synthedit-based plugins wrapped in DXi (which seems to be an unnecessary wrapper in Reaper). But it only crashes Reaper, not the whole computer. All totally avoidable by using the VST or VSTi version of any plugin, w/ no wrapper.

Message: Don't waste your time if you have a Realtek HD audio chip. Replace with a real soundcard. Life's too short. I'm now luxuriating in deep layers of sound with instant response time. I wouldn't have got here without Steindork's generous advice. I don't know who you are, but thanks!
Old 04-03-2009, 03:30 AM   #12
Ollie

Congratulations! Good move to buy a decent audio card for your computer.

Quote:
I still have crashes when using Synthedit-based plugins wrapped in DXi (which seems to be an unnecessary wrapper in Reaper).
That thing must come from somewhere else, maybe some other DAW you tried, Reaper doesn't have a DXi->VST wrapper but will probably detect one that is registered on your system. Not sure but you could prevent accidentially loading it (and all other DX-Plugins) by going to Options->Preferences->Plugins->DirectX and untick all 3 checkboxes there.