Old 02-05-2019, 10:00 AM   #281
frood
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ragnur View Post
I recently had a job involving a lot of punch in recording vocal dubs. When I do it the basic way - that is pressing Play, then Rec on punch in spot - the key is to start plenty in advance, since I don't want to miss the breath leading to the beginning note.
What I found myself missing was the ability to let the recording musician hear the few first notes of the previous recording - while at the same time recording the new overdub (plenty in advance).
And I really don't want to create a new track pr dub...

1 Set a short cut for "Time Selection: Set start point"
2 Right click rec button, choose "Recording mode: time selection auto punch"
3 Set the time selection very late
4 Begin recording.
5 Punch in with "Time Selection: Set start point"
6 Pull left side of the item to reveal all the recorded content and make a pretty transition.

The cool thing is you can just leave the time selection if doing more takes.
Also, punch out with "Time Selection: Set end point".

Screenshot recording:
https://stash.reaper.fm/21793/punch%20in%20trick.gif
this is a nice workaround, but I'm sure there's another way I've seen described somewhere. previously, I've always messed around with multiple tracks, muting here and there and comping afterwards. not ideal.
frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:41 PM   #282
bolgwrad

Default Very basic workflow tip - may be obvious, but you never know.

When recording a voice or instrument, you may find that the optimal record level is a lot lower than the playback level you're aiming for in the mix, unless you're going to get a clipped, distorted signal.

So rather than record on your carefully nurtured vocal/guitar/bassoon track and then dial the take level up (every time!), or record hot and risk clipping, just:

- Record at the optimal level on a VST-lite *copy* of your playback track. -

Once recorded or comped, drag the new, optimal media item onto your carefully nurtured playback track, which is all ready with VSTs, envelopes, etc. Mute the record track, colour it purple. God it's so simple. Yes, it's bloody obvious, but others like me may have overlooked this method.

For each live recorded um, thing, I have a 'master' PLAY track which is not normally adjusted, and an identical, dispensable, 'RECORD' track (apart maybe from level, fewer VSTs and sends/receives) which can be named appropriately for daily/hourly/instantaneous takes. And of course it can be duplicated for alternate takes; but you never need to adjust the 'PLAY' track once you're set, or unless you're in tweak mode.

This may be common 1-0-1 practice that even the noobiest noob would know, but I didn't suss it till today. (Smacks forehead). Not just Reaper, but if it's easier in another DAW I'd be surprised. I'm trying to imagine how it would work with tape.
bolgwrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:57 AM   #283
bolgwrad

Default Good multi-monitor zoom shortcut

A good one if you don't know it: (shift +?) double-click on a selected mixer track (not the pan area) zooms that track (and toggles zoom) in the track window. A boon with multiple monitors, anyway, and eliminates most of that track height adjustment/locking.

Last edited by bolgwrad; 09-30-2019 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Add title
Old 05-14-2019, 06:43 AM   #284
nellipalooza

Default Forums as RSS Feeds

Copy the URL of this forum and add it to your RSS reader!
(I use NewsBlur)
nellipalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #285
bolgwrad

Default Reduce CPU strain in multiple windows and minimizing

Hi, only me again.

Set a custom action to 'toggle all FX on/off', such as Ctrl+F. It's very useful if you want to open more Reaper tabs or windows, eg for project/item copy/pasting purposes.

While the FX are off, your computer won't go into snail mode and Reaper won't be straining to even run. If you then minimize Reaper with all the FX off, it doesn't seem to hog CPU, and it's much faster to switch back, including turning the FX back on.

No need to close Reaper any more! I haven't tested to see if it reduces loading speed

YMMV.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:18 AM   #286
ChrisBlue

Default crossfade

I was going to put how to crossfade because what is written in the Quickstart guide for it just never works for me partly because it doesn't seem clear, it looks like they are saying enable, drag while holding X but that has never worked for me. I worked out what to do once but can't find the note I made about how so could someone tell me please? Thanks
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:06 PM   #287
juan_r

Can't download the compiled tips pdf file for offline perusal. Google docs says I need authorization. I asked for it over a month ago, but still no response. Is that abandoned?
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:42 AM   #288
Coachz

Default Trim all tracks

My tip of the day is how to trim all tracks. Say you have your mix happening but you see a few tracks clipping and want to fix it. You have automation on some channels and you don't want to upset that either.

I made a script that selects all of my tracks that are not folders, headphone mixes, click/structure or my fx bus tracks. I use ^ in my folder tracks, like ^vox so I have a script to select them, then I invert to select everything except folders.

Then I deselect fx, hp, click/structure (it has my arrangement verse, chorus, bridge) and then set those track automations to trim mode. Then I can just drag a fader and adjust them all at once. When done I have a button to set them all back to Read mode. I hope it helps someone. Enjoy.

Custom: Trim all tracks
Script: JB_select_^_track.lua
SWS: Toggle (invert) track selection
Script: JB_deselect_fx_tracks.lua
Script: JB_deselect_hp_tracks.lua
Script: JB_deselect_structure_tracks.lua
Automation: Set track automation mode to trim/read

Last edited by Coachz; 08-15-2023 at 07:04 AM.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #289
Ether

Default Google account enforced.

As a newcomer, tips is good.

However...
The "Link to user-editable tips list" is demanding a Google account to open.

Which mean that it's no gathered tips for me then.
Ether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:24 PM   #290
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether View Post

However...

Do one thing every day that scares you.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:09 PM   #291
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether View Post

However...

I set this up back then but at that time there wasn't a Google account necessary for everyone to access it.
Now I can't even access it myself anymore. :/
Anyone has a backup by chance to upload it somewhere else?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:27 PM   #292
Ether

I could start a new "tip list" topic where i would see to it that posted tips get copied to the list in the starting post.
I would need two things:
1. A copy of the list. The latest edition possible to minimize the number of old post to go thru.
2. Some info of how many words there can be in a post. If the list gets popular it could be large. And also if the need to continue in a second post could be allowed and feasible to move up the chain and be post number two in the topic.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:20 PM   #293
Ether

Default Extra vst.

Install the free Cakewalk by Bandlab. Do a vst scan in Reaper. Voila...you've got a bunch of new vst's.
You don't have to use the daw.
You don't have to authorize it. Without authorization it goes into demo mode which means it will not save things. But it still works.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:05 AM   #294
Dave 2099

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
So rather than record on your carefully nurtured vocal/guitar/bassoon track and then dial the take level up (every time!), or record hot and risk clipping, just:

- Record at the optimal level on a VST-lite *copy* of your playback track. -

Once recorded or comped, drag the new, optimal media item onto your carefully nurtured playback track, which is all ready with VSTs, envelopes, etc.

Is this different from just recording input on the same track as your FX? Your FX aren't written to the recording unless you select Record Output. Genuinely curious to know if I'm missing something.

cheers,
Dave
Dave 2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:09 AM   #295
Dave 2099

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
Set a custom action to 'toggle all FX on/off', such as Ctrl+F. It's very useful if you want to open more Reaper tabs or windows, eg for project/item copy/pasting purposes.

While the FX are off, your computer won't go into snail mode and Reaper won't be straining to even run. If you then minimize Reaper with all the FX off, it doesn't seem to hog CPU, and it's much faster to switch back, including turning the FX back on.
That's very handy, thanks!
Dave 2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:13 AM   #296
juan_r

@nofish, @Ether, thanks for the thought. It would be nice to get a file packed with info. It would make for excellent random reading and perusal. Rooting for your efforts to succeed!
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:33 AM   #297
billybuck

The "problem" with the mega tips n tricks thread is that many of the older tips for custom actions are now built into Reaper as stock actions, or have been scripted by some other kind soul. That's a good problem to have in a DAW.
billybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:29 PM   #298
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybuck View Post
The "problem" with the mega tips n tricks thread is that many of the older tips for custom actions are now built into Reaper as stock actions, or have been scripted by some other kind soul. That's a good problem to have in a DAW.
I agree. It should be someone more in the know to make a useful list.
I too like the idea of gathered tips for us newcomers. That was what triggered the post.
Maybe a pdf to read in a relaxed state of mind when you're offline.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:53 PM   #299
Ether

If you think images in posts seems to big, try to change "forum style".
The "quick" setting is located way way down at the bottom of the page.
You'll see "reaper 3" which is the default forum style. This style does not scale down the images.
Forum style "reaper 5" does scale down images.
To make it persistent go to usercp/options at the bottom; called skins.

Last edited by Ether; 02-22-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:51 AM   #300
KODA JYNX

need help resetting the (inserting the media file)
Sorry for the dumb question, but this one has me stumped. I've had Reaper for over 8 years now, and have never had this problem before. Anyway, any time I wanted to insert the media file, everything was cool, meaning that the folder that I was getting the media from (folders holding my songs), was the same size as it was before, allowing me to see almost everything. Yesterday, in an attempt to get something done before the wife got on her broom (don't ask), I hit something wrong while trying to get the file into reaper and the result was that the folder will completely cover reaper. I can still get the file into reaper, but it is messing up my work flow. I'm not saying Reaper did something wrong, I am saying that I did, because I tried to do things too fast.

So, how do I get the folder to be it's normal size while pulling (Inserting) a media file? Apologize for needing the help, but if you can, PLEASE HELP!

I thank you in advance.

KODA JYNX
KODA JYNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:43 AM   #301
bolgwrad

You can use the new 'take markers' feature in 6.09 for lyrics by adding an empty track next to your vocal track and inserting an empty MIDI item in it for the whole length of the song (or to taste).

If you enable 'Double click on lower item half to insert take marker' in mouse modifiers, it's pretty easy, if tedious the first time, to insert words matching the vocal waveform exactly.

Unfortunately these take markers don't show in the MIDI editor (yet).

In v6.10, you can add take markers to non-MIDI empty items (the regular kind)

Last edited by bolgwrad; 07-25-2021 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:14 AM   #302
outpatient

the MIDI editor action 'pass through key to main window' is really helpful for running Main actions without unfocusing the MIDI editor, and without having to set up scripts to run them.

e.g. I like using 'Select and move to [next/previous] item' or 'Select and move to item in [next/previous] track' inside the MIDI editor, so with 'Active MIDI item follows selection changes in arrange view' on (in MIDI editor preferences) I can jump around MIDI items with a key press and have it scroll automatically.
outpatient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:58 AM   #303
fundungus

Quote:
Originally Posted by outpatient View Post
the MIDI editor action 'pass through key to main window' is really helpful for running Main actions without unfocusing the MIDI editor, and without having to set up scripts to run them.

e.g. I like using 'Select and move to [next/previous] item' or 'Select and move to item in [next/previous] track' inside the MIDI editor, so with 'Active MIDI item follows selection changes in arrange view' on (in MIDI editor preferences) I can jump around MIDI items with a key press and have it scroll automatically.
ooh that's really handy, thank you. I have been on this forum for 5 minutes and i'm already learning new things!
fundungus is offline   Reply With Quote