Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #1
swiiscompos
Human being with feelings

Default Lemur, VEP, Reaper Orchestral Template/System

I spent this past week building my composing rig and template at home after moving back from the US where I was studying. The whole Vienna Ensemble Pro (VEP) and Lemur thing was very new for me (I had neither before) but I am extremely with the result. Here is an overview of the system. If people are interested in creating a similar setup please let me know and I will try to make a walkthrough.

The Lemur part is relevant even if you don't plan on using VEP.
Before I start I also want to thank Mihkel Zilmer. The template he shares as part of his Lemur tutorial series (https://youtu.be/BqYR7_TMj7E) has been the basis of my own template. Visually they still look extremely similar but under the hood they are very different. I wanted a system that is at the same time very stable, responsive and flexible.

So, here is a screenshot of my Lemur template:

The screen is divided in three main sections:

The upper left section controls the visibility of my Reaper folders. The instrument groups correspond to the MIDI tracks. The two other folders are the audio returns and the mix groups. The button at the upper left corner is a switch that controls the behavior of the other buttons. It can either show the folder and hide the others, or add the selected folder to those already visible. Finally there is a button to hide all the empty tracks among the currently visible tracks (extremely useful!) and another button to show all the tracks. This means that at any moment I have a very limited number of tracks visible on my screen and I can still very easily access any track. The current selection is always preserved when the visibility is changed.

Under the visibility section there is a bunch of faders for the most often used MIDI CCs.. If you already have physical MIDI faders you might want to replace these by something more useful ( which I will do).

Finally the right side of the screen is the core of the Lemur template: it's an auto-updating articulation selector that works in tandem with the wonderful Reaticulate scrip by Tack (thank you ) (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=200022). The list of articulations is automatically updated every time I click on the corresponding MIDI track in Reaper or scroll through the tracks using the two arrows at the top. Clicking on an articulation will obviously select it VEP (or Reaper if you don't use VEP) through Reaticulate.

The tracks are setup to be automatically rec-armed when selected. This means that I can always keep them minimized, gaining a lot of screen real estate. Also, Reaticulate allows me and Lemur to switch between all the articulations of an instrument even if they are in different patches. If you look at the first screenshot you will see that I can have almost 40 articulations immediately available at the tip of my fingers (in this case Spitfire Symphonic Strings).

Having all the articulations available at all times is great but it means they take some time to load. That's when Vienna Ensemble Pro enters the picture. It allows me to have all the instruments constantly loaded and to switch projects in an instant. Because the VEP instances are decoupled it also means that the Reaper project size stays very small and auto backups are unnoticeable. In my case VEP runs on a custom built PC connected to my Mac through a gigabit ethernet connection, but it could also run on the same computer if it was powerful enough.

So this is my current setup. It has been rock solid since I finished it and it's extremely responsive even if my Samsung Tab A (which runs Lemur) talks to my computer through wifi.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if you really want a walkthrough on how to recreate the same setup. I also have a few scripts that make the template creation much faster in Reaper and I would be happy to share them (for example a script to automatically increment audio outputs and disable midi outputs for the existing sends on a track).
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:30 AM   #2
oudi le oudi

hello
look fantastic.
by the way can you explain how to setup the template with reaper.
thank you in advance.
best.

jf

(sorry for my perfect english :-) )
oudi le oudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
swiiscompos

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudi le oudi View Post
hello
look fantastic.
by the way can you explain how to setup the template with reaper.
thank you in advance.
best.

jf

(sorry for my perfect english :-) )
Yes I will do it. But it might take some time...
And no need to be sorry, as you said it yourself you're english is perfect

De toutes façon je peux également faire une version du tuto en Français
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:18 AM   #4
oudi le oudi

thank you for your answer...
patience patience :-)
de mon cote je finis ma template pour lemur et je la partagerais asap.

a tres vite donc :-)
see u soon
best
jf
Old 07-02-2018, 06:48 AM   #5
_Stevie_

Definitely interested, it looks awesome!
Old 07-29-2018, 07:41 AM   #6
oudi le oudi

hello
can u share your lemur jzml...
i try to mix my template with reaticulate but no result...
thank you in advance.

si possible bien sur...je sais le temps que ca prend de creer ce genre de truc.

a bientot.
jf
Old 08-26-2018, 01:35 AM   #7
dtsmarin

Please make a tutorial if possible!, I tried to create something very similar but I couldn't find how to send a MIDI message to Lemur when I change tracks at the time.

I would be glad to donate something if this works for me.

Thanks
dtsmarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:01 AM   #8
_Stevie_

Any news on this?
Old 01-12-2019, 05:38 AM   #9
Herrmann

Oh yes, I'm interested too, if you can share some info, or your lemur template ?
And what is your theme, it looks very clean ?
Herrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:18 AM   #10
crd

I would love a walk through of this also. Especially how you were able to get articulations in reaticulate to follow track selection!!!
crd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:00 PM   #11
crd

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiiscompos View Post
h.

Finally the right side of the screen is the core of the Lemur template: it's an auto-updating articulation selector that works in tandem with the wonderful Reaticulate scrip by Tack (thank you ) (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=200022). The list of articulations is automatically updated every time I click on the corresponding MIDI track in Reaper or scroll through the tracks using the two arrows at the top. Clicking on an articulation will obviously select it VEP (or Reaper if you don't use VEP) through Reaticulate.

Does anyone know how swiiscompos accomplished this? I've been beating my head against a wall to try and get this working.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:42 PM   #12
Phfraiengngchkxzcs

Default Reaticulate and Lemur (from Mihkel Zilmer's Lemur Setup)

Hi, I'm new to the Reaper forums but had been searching for a week to find ways to get Lemur working with Reaticulate. Very happy to say that it is working! I started from using Mikhel Zilmer's template referenced in this forum and walk through how I altered it to work for Reaticulate.

I posted the links to the tutorials I referenced in the comments below the video.

Eventually I will post up my template, but the basics of how to do it yourself are more important because of all the customization. Really, it's only the aspect of communication between Lemur and Reaticulate that is easily sharable. These templates are so customized I think it's probably easier to build your own from the bones shared here.

https://youtu.be/R3juwh5E448

All this is really new to me so I'd love to get feedback on ideas people have for making it better and more efficient. For example, i was struggling to find a way to store the CC0 values that I needed to reference in my script which was being triggered by CC32 values. So I made a monitor that monitored the CC0 MIDI_ARGS and then referenced that in the script to get the CC0 value. There's probably a better way to do that. But again, this is working and working beatifully for me, so I wanted to share in hopes of helping out the other people whom I've seen asking the same questions I was. Hope it's useful for some of you.
Phfraiengngchkxzcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:54 AM   #13
Phfraiengngchkxzcs

Default Clean Up

Hi, for anyone who's working with Lemur and Reaticulate, I'm wondering if you figured out how to clean up the way PC data gets recorded. i just got my rig working with Lemur and it's fairly smooth, but it seems like when i'm recording and changing articulations from the iPad, i'm getting some extra info. here are 2 screenshots. in one i steprecorded Reaticulate direction into the midi item by right clicking the articulation. in the other, i recorded the articulation by triggering the changes from my iPad. as you can see, the one recorded from REaticulate is clean, shows only PC change and is labeled with the articulation. When I trigger the articulation from Lemur it's coming in in chunks of data that seem to be labeled with MSB/LSB info (or something like it, i don't know what the "121" is, since I am using bank 59. I'd like to find a way to clean this up so that A i can see the articulations in the midi clip and B I'm only recording the single bit of program change data, as the extra data can cause some glitching.

EDIT: just noticed that in a MIDI clip, if you manually (right-click) to enter an articulation with Reaticulate, after that playing the articulations in via Lemur it will adhere to recording the correct patch names. i don't know why you have to do one manually first. (and i'm still getting 2 PC entries every time i hit a pad, even though the pads are set to trigger only when the value changes from 0.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: png Clean.png (28.0 KB, 299 views)
File Type: png Dirty.png (21.6 KB, 277 views)

Last edited by Phfraiengngchkxzcs; 08-06-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Phfraiengngchkxzcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:03 PM   #14
crd

Default Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the above! I haven't checked in on this thread but was hoping someone like you would share there template.