Old 04-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
AdamWathan
Human being with feelings

Default Missing MIDI actions...

I looked for these and then tried to see if I could code then through the API but to no avail...

I would find it very useful to have the simple actions "trim left edge of note to cursor" and "trim right edge of note to cursor". Just so I could click inside a note and press a key to trim it instead of dragging the edge. It saves a little time finding the trim zone but it mostly just makes my workflow more consistent since I am using those actions for items in the arrange window all the time.

If I missed them or if anyone can point out some MIDI API stuff I missed that would let me code this, please let me know! Thanks.
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
mikeroephonics

+1
Thanks for mentioning these!
I love these sort of Actions ([something-something] to Edit Cursor types.)
Old 04-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
EvilDragon

Great idea! I approve.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
vocalid

could also work the other way round to lengthen notes.... ...has to recognize which note you're talking about though

+1
vocalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
strinxx

Very good, really!!!
strinxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
Melvin J.

I like it. +1
Old 04-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
gofer
-blänk-

I'd love that too.

I found a solution for cropping a note's right edge to the mouse cursor, but it's a bit special, as it only reliably works as a modifier action for double click in "MIDI note" context, and only with a caveat when snap is enabled.
The macro is:

Split note at mouse cursor
View: Move edit cursor to mouse cursor
Select note nearest to the edit cursor
Edit: Delete notes

You can't have it as simple key-shortcut, because you need confirmed that a note is under the mouse cursor, otherwise it will just delete the note that happens to be nearest . And it for some reason doesn't work as macro for single left click... there might be a bug in place i haven't yet bothered to dig into (difficulties with custom actions as modifier actions for 'MIDI note left click' context)
Might be that there are other setting dependencies, for example what you have set as modifier for single left click in the same context, but it works reliably here.
EDIT: Snap is much better disabled for this action. This goes as far as there can be unwanted deletion of entire notes under some circumstances with snap enabled... Adam, is it thinkable to get "Store/recall snap setting for current active MIDI editor" and "Disable/Enable snap in active MIDI editor"? I'd be happy enough if they were available in the main list, like Jeffos' MIDI CC lane actions and port them into the MIDI list via ReaScript. /edit

Actually I have it so that Win+Alt+single-click a note is simple "Split note" and double click is that above macro without the first action. Both methods work fine.
But I'd still prefer a solution that can be had as "trim note under mouse cursor" key command and possibly as a single-click mouse modifier action.

Last edited by gofer; 04-19-2011 at 03:24 PM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
EricM

Temporal and bug-prone workaround:

- split note
- unselect all
- add note nearest to the edit cursor to selection
- delete notes

This one is for right edge trimming.

Edit: gofer beat me to it
Old 04-20-2011, 06:07 AM   #9
fingers

I think you just need actions to delete selected notes to the right/left of the edit cursor. Would take next to no time to do with extensions. You'd just have to call it from Reascript in the PRV.

So a macro for trim left edge would be:
split notes
delete selected notes to left of edit cursor
fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #10
gofer
-blänk-

"Split note at edit cursor (select right)" would do it just as nice plus it would be consistent with the main action list .

of course all the other split variants, like "select left", "no change selection" and the same set of variants for "Split note under mouse cursor (...)" would be appreciated, too.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #11
fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
"Split note at edit cursor (select right)" would do it just as nice plus it would be consistent with the main action list .
Consistency is nice but you'd lose the selection of the note you are interested in when using "Split note at edit cursor (select right)" as part of a trim macro. Maybe there is room for both types.

I am a bit reluctant to put any work into any MIDI actions though as the ReaScript hack is a bit of a PITA.
fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:46 AM   #12
gofer
-blänk-

Ah, you're right. Having the left one selected after the trim action is done would be better for sure.

I wish I could find out how to do Reascrips which are editing the MIDI HADATA section in the first place . But I'm still stuck right at the beginning and every time I tried to learn it I ran against walls. I gave that up for the time being, for even if I knew how to get a grip of the data I wouldn't know jack how to do stuff with it.