Old 10-29-2006, 06:07 AM   #1
Art Evans
Mortal

Default How the big boys do it.

I was looking at http://blogs.adobe.com/hartshafer/ tonight - the Adobe Audition product manager's blog. Adobe have just launched a public beta (Reaper style!) of "Soundbooth", an audio-for-visual-creative-people app, positioned quite differently from Reaper.

However, I couldn't help reflecting on the marketing muscle being deployed. The blog lists site after site where the beta is being reviewed in depth and with plenty of quotes from Adobe people and general marketing pazzazz. But go to the search box of each site and search for Reaper, and you'll probably come up with nothing relevant.

OK, some of these are sites where you wouldn't expect Reaper to get a mention (Mac sites for instance - Soundbooth will run on Windows and on Intel Macs, but not on previous Macs, much to some people's annoyance), but it's a bit of an omission on others. I wonder whether Justin has ever done some kind of simple press release and emailed it round these and other relevant sites to stir up a bit more publicity? Or maybe he's entirely happy with the work of mouth stuff going on - we don't know whether sales figures are in line with expectations of course (and I'm not asking for the info either).
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:12 AM   #2
chip mcdonald
Human being with feelings

I saw the blurb on their site for that...

They don't mention Reaper, but they *do* mention they're letting people test their beta - ala Reaper...
Old 10-29-2006, 11:25 AM   #3
zeke

Cool...Easy to use sound restoration program from Adobe. Similar to Audition. Well, that was my expectation before downloading the beta....

...and after testing. Soundpoop must be the worst audio editing software that i have ever tested.

I know. It's only beta.
zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:15 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

I think being Adobe has its advantages.. people pay more attention to press releases from companies like Adobe, than say, Cockos...

Aside from that, we're just too product focused to bother.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:01 PM   #5
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
Heh, and that's nothing but good for the people who do use Reaper! I'm sure we all do what we can to get the word out individually, so you've got quite a sales team going in a sort of a way.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
ahoova

Would it be too inappropriate to ask whether the product has developed and been accepted by the public as well as you have expected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
I think being Adobe has its advantages.. people pay more attention to press releases from companies like Adobe, than say, Cockos...

ahoova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoova
Would it be too inappropriate to ask whether the product has developed and been accepted by the public as well as you have expected?
Well, honestly the development has gone better than I expected

Public acceptance? Didnt really have too many expectations, actually...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:57 AM   #8
olzzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
Heh, and that's nothing but good for the people who do use Reaper! I'm sure we all do what we can to get the word out individually, so you've got quite a sales team going in a sort of a way.
Yeah, it´s just starting. Reaper has a great potential, and i think in a couple of months, it will be well known to many.
And a great reputation, is the best salespoint.
Let the word go, and it´ll be among the top 5 DAW´s in a year.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:59 AM   #9
manning1

re...public acceptance.
my 2 cents canadian.
public acceptance is a weird thing.
rpr could do everything but eat and do your washing , and still
young music bands would get mboxes lol...cos they believe that
will automatically give them a hit record.
and cos all they hear is macs and tools in big studios.
its just marketing.
once i worked for a company that produced a superior computer product at the time and believe me it was a struggle to get market acceptance. but once it came.....it was like a flood. the world market is a weird beast. and not necessarily sadly do the best products win out.
but reapers time will come in a major way..of that i'm sure.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:44 PM   #10
fluffy

I agree, manning.

I can feel the ground rumbling. People actually LAUGHED at Reaper on some forums when I first came around (v.43? Something like that) Slowly (a relative term, of course ) the laughing stopped and people took notice. I hear VERY little negative talk about Reaper these days. Even the reviews I've seen (only a few, so far) have been really positive. I'm fairly certain there's a Reaper explosion on the horizon.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:42 PM   #11
Art Evans
Mortal

There's bound to be a fair bit of intertia - some people will remain quite happy with what they are already using (and have paid big bux for) while others will jump ship at once. Others will come on board as novice/virgin users.