Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 09-25-2015, 05:38 AM   #1
gkurtenbach
Human being with feelings

Default "apply additional input offset (X millseconds) for midi items"

Reaper *does* apply latency compensation to midi items, but only when it is set to "use audio driver latency". When its set to "manual offset" then it doesn't apply the offset to midi items.

This feature request is for preferences->recording to allow latency compensation to be applied when set to "manual offset"

This is needed because if using manual compensation your midi events are not compensated so they are recorded out of sync to the audio!

AND...

What is also needed is an option and value entry for "apply additional input offset (X millseconds) for midi items" to additionally compensate for midi transmission delays. This need to be applicable in either automatic or manual latency compensation modes.

This feature is needed so users can compensate for midi transmission delay. For example when I hit my vdrum pads it takes 12 ms for the event to "appear" in reaper. So all midi events are delayed by 12ms from the time I hit the pad. Allowing an input offset of -12ms at the time of recording would make the event line up with the actual time I hit the pad.

Background:

Reaper does a good job automatically latency compensating when you record audio. Newly recorded audio items are moved forward in time by the size of input and output audio buffers. So if the combined size of input and output buffer is 10ms, recorded items are moved 10ms forward in time. This makes recorded items line up with existing items if they were played at the same time. This is a critical and essential part of a DAW so that overdubs are not recorded with a erroneous delay.

Reaper *does* apply latency to midi items, but only when it is set to "use audio driver latency". When its set to "manual offset" then it doesn't apply the offset to midi items.

I did this simple test. I turn off recording latency compensation (set it to manual and the amounts to 0). I then record tapping on a midi drum. I record the midi, and put a mike on the drum so I record the audio. With no latency compensation the delay between a drum hit on the mike track the midi is 12 milliiseconds. This is the time it takes to convert the hit on the drum to midi message and send it to Reaper. Thats fine and what is expected.

However, if I turn on latency compensation to say 50 millseconds and repeat the test above, the recorded delay between the drum hit and midi is 62 milliseconds!

Reaper seems to be applying latency compensation to the audio track but not the midi track. It should have moved *both* the audio and midi recording forward 50 milliseconds in time so that the difference between the audio hit and midi event was the original 12 milliseconds.

I'm wondering if we could add an option to preferences->recording for "apply latency compensation to recorded midi".

Plus it might be helpful to have another option for "extra offset for midi items". This way I could compensate for midi transmission delay too.

To be clear: Reaper *does* apply it to midi items, but only when it is set to "use audio driver latency". When its set to "manual offset" then it doesn't apply the offset to midi items.

Also would be great have "apply additional input offset for midi items" to get midi events to line up with the time you hit the note.
gkurtenbach is offline   Reply With Quote