Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 06-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #1
simonluca
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI items no longer follow "track timebase -> Time" rule.

- Create new track,
- Create Midi Item
- Set track timebase to “time”
- Change tempo
----> Midi item changes length and position
--------> Expected: Midi Items should have the same behavior as audio items, they shouldn’t move or change speed when track timebase is set to “time”.

BUT

if you go to item properties and set “Item Timebase” to “time” it behaves as expected.
simonluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #2
nofish

I think it's always been like this and is by design:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=25

Last edited by nofish; 06-11-2019 at 09:26 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #3
simonluca

I understand and thank you.

"The bug that was fixed is that MIDI items used to change position, but not length, when using timebase=time"

I used that bug as a feature, a very useful one - at least to me.
By the way, to me it doesn't really make sense not to have the ability to have time-based midi events, and it also goes against Reaper concept of not making distinctions between audio/midi tracks // Events. I see a lot of uses of that, Midi is not only used to trigger notes in virtual or physical instruments, but also for example to trigger lights, or other "events" in the real world and it's more likely that you need Time-based items than beat based.
It's not that you're taking away the ability to have BPM based MIDI items, so why this limitation?

Just my 2c

PS: Errata corrige: I stated that changing "item timebase" to "time" would work as expected, but it's not true. Reaper simply doens't change the size of the item, but it changes the length of the events inside of it. Visually it looked right, but it wasn't.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #4
nofish

Yeah, tbh I find the "Timebase Time, but MIDI items don't obey" thing also "not quite right somehow".
But as there's been various discussions about it already (e.g. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=81012), and schwa explained the rationale behind it I just take it as a given...

Btw. you can make time-based MIDI items it's just not very obvious:
Item Properties -> Properties... -> enable "Ignore project tempo..."
There's also an SWS action to do it in bulk:
"SWS/BR: Enable "Ignore project tempo" for selected MIDI items preserving time position of MIDI events (use tempo at item's start)"

Last edited by nofish; 06-11-2019 at 11:02 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #5
simonluca

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Yeah, tbh I find the "Timebase Time, but MIDI items don't obey" thing also "not quite right somehow".
But as there's been various discussions about it already (e.g. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=81012), and schwa explained the rationale behind it I just take it as a given...

Btw. you can make time-based MIDI items it's just not very obvious:
Item Properties -> Properties... -> enable "Ignore project tempo..."
There's also an SWS action to do it in bulk:
"SWS/BR: Enable "Ignore project tempo" for selected MIDI items preserving time position of MIDI events (use tempo at item's start)"
Oh, very nice, thank you for the tip. I see from the post that you linked that you suggested that option... 8 years ago!
On one side Reaper makes impossible to have a timebased Midi item (although the option is visible and selectable), on the other side you can do basically the same thing thanks to a quite hidden option... Uhm, that's at least a little bit incosistent. It were much easier and straightforward to just turn the "Time base time" option on, but ok, it's already good that we have a solution.

Thank you again!