Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-22-2019, 02:06 PM   #1
markblasco
Human being with feelings

Default Any way to figure out why reaper stops/starts recording randomly

I switched from ProTools to Reaper last year, and while I haven't found Reaper to be particularly stable, it was at least fairly reliable.

In the last few weeks, I've started getting an issue where, while recording, Reaper will just stop recording for about 2 seconds and then start again. I don't get any error message or anything, it's as if nothing happened, except that the take is ruined. The recorded file doesn't have any empty space, it's as if the recording paused temporarily and then continued.

I've uninstalled the software that I've loaded in the last few weeks, but the problem is still happening, about 2-3 times a day, and I'm going to lose a client if I don't figure it out.

The last time this happened I only had one instance of Kontakt running, so it's not about cpu usage. My computer is a brand new Ryzen 2700X with 16 gigs of ram.

Is there any sort of log, or any way to make Reaper tell me if there's an error, so that I can figure out why this is happening?
markblasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
Coachz

You are not hitting any keys when doing this and have no markers with actions in them?
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #3
EpicSounds

I'm not a pc guy but I've seen this save lives

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

run this while recording as you normally do.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:53 AM   #4
Coachz

Definitely run latency mon. Watch this

https://youtu.be/D7U-Q1YoqYQ?t=147
Old 01-23-2019, 06:13 AM   #5
martifingers

Most probably not your issue but this happened to me this morning on an old Macbook which is normally rock solid for the 8 or so tracks I usually need. It was my mistake - I had a project on a USB stick I was transferring to the Macbook and had forgotten to save it onto the Mac so I was,I presume, in effect writing to the USB stick. Problem went away immediately I corrected this.
martifingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:13 PM   #6
markblasco

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check out the latency monitor software.

I'm definitely not hitting any keys, and nothing in the session. I think I might have tracked it down to the drivers for my Tranzport, which weren't an issue for the last few months, but in the process of uninstalling things going backward in time from when I installed them, this was the one that seemed to fix the problem when I removed it. I won't know for certain for a few days, since the problem was so intermittent, but at least it didn't hit me today.
markblasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:34 PM   #7
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by markblasco View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check out the latency monitor software.

I'm definitely not hitting any keys, and nothing in the session. I think I might have tracked it down to the drivers for my Tranzport, which weren't an issue for the last few months, but in the process of uninstalling things going backward in time from when I installed them, this was the one that seemed to fix the problem when I removed it. I won't know for certain for a few days, since the problem was so intermittent, but at least it didn't hit me today.
You'll find it. It took me a few days to figure out when I tied Ctrl + S to the Solo to Front that I was trying to save my work while working with Ctrl + S and wondering why Solo In Front kept coming on. DOH !