COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 07-22-2020, 06:04 PM   #1
Nonlinear
Human being with feelings

Default Massive CPU load difference between Mac and Win versions of plugins - SOLVED

I am seeing a HUGE difference in CPU load running my Mac plugin builds verses Windows builds.

For example, my worst plugin shows 30% CPU load in Pro Tools on Mac (unacceptable) - but only 9% for the same project setup in Pro Tools on Win 10. Same Pro Tools versions, same track count/setup.

Likewise, in Reaper the VST, VST3 and AU versions of the plugin run around 5% CPU on Mac - but only 3% on Win 10!

A 10x difference from worst to best! Same code, same compiler "Release Build" settings.

My Xcode and MSVS compilers are both set for -03 release optimization (Fastest code) so what could be causing such a huge difference in CPU load across platforms and DAWs?

(My test iMac (OS Mojave) and Win 10 PCs are comparable hardware - both Quad core with 8GB RAM. Testing for all plugin types, OS and DAWs were done with one stereo track and one stereo plugin instance.)

SOLVED - problem was in Xcode compiler settings - scheme used for "Release" was being built using debug settings

Last edited by Nonlinear; 07-26-2020 at 10:23 PM.
Nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:55 PM   #2
Tale

Maybe it's data misalignment? Doubles or structs/classes holding doubles require WDL_FIXALIGN, or else they won't necessarily be aligned to 8 bytes in Xcode.
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
Nonlinear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale View Post
Maybe it's data misalignment? Doubles or structs/classes holding doubles require WDL_FIXALIGN, or else they won't necessarily be aligned to 8 bytes in Xcode.
IDK but willing to check it out. How do I implement "WDL_FIXALIGN" and can it be applied GLOBALLY? All of the iPlug support files use doubles AFAIK - so they're everywhere.

I tried placing
Code:
#define double double WDL_FIXALIGN
at the top of my main .cpp file but it had no effect.

Last edited by Nonlinear; 07-23-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #4
Tale

You need to add WDL_FIXALIGN to any doubles inside a struct/class that might be misaligned, e.g.:

Code:
struct Foo
{
	int x;
	double WDL_FIXALIGN y;
};

struct Bar
{
	double a;
	int b;
}
WDL_FIXALIGN;
AFAIK local variables are always properly aligned, because they are on the stack, so you only need to worry about global variables and structs/classes.

You could first try to narrow down what part of your code slows things down by temporarily disabling chunks of code. That way you could probably only add WDL_FIXALIGN where it's really needed.

BTW, are you sure you are really using the same compiler flags? Because if e.g. you're using /fp:fast on MSVC, but no -ffast-math in Xcode, then this might also slow things down...
Old 07-23-2020, 12:55 PM   #5
Nonlinear

Quote:
You need to add WDL_FIXALIGN to any doubles inside a struct/class that might be misaligned, e.g.:

Code:
struct Foo
{
	int x;
	double WDL_FIXALIGN y;
};

struct Bar
{
	double a;
	int b;
}
WDL_FIXALIGN;
AFAIK local variables are always properly aligned, because they are on the stack, so you only need to worry about global variables and structs/classes.

You could first try to narrow down what part of your code slows things down by temporarily disabling chunks of code. That way you could probably only add WDL_FIXALIGN where it's really needed.

BTW, are you sure you are really using the same compiler flags? Because if e.g. you're using /fp:fast on MSVC, but no -ffast-math in Xcode, then this might also slow things down...
Thank you for the reply. Now, two things:

1) truth be told, all of my internal variables are floats not doubles. Contrary to what everyone says I found floats to process much faster than doubles HOWEVER that may be the issue in AAX. Will have to check it out.

2) I thought "-ffast-math" was on by default but I don’t see it anywhere in my Xcode settings - will check this out.

Last edited by Nonlinear; 07-23-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:31 AM   #6
Tale

Xcode calls it "Relax IEEE Compliance", and it should be enabled (IMHO, YMMV).
Old 07-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #7
Nonlinear

Quote:
Xcode calls it "Relax IEEE Compliance", and it should be enabled (IMHO, YMMV).
For whatever reason it was NOT enabled - for any of my builds/plugin versions - but compiling with/without made no difference in my case nevertheless. No change in CPU load per DAW meters. Still WAY too high in Pro Tools.

One other Xcode question if I may - when I recompile my plugins over existing builds the new AAX/VST/VST3/AU files are saving to the respective library/audio plugins folders but their date and time is not updating. It appears like it didn't build - but when I check the files they ARE new versions. If I delete the plugin files first THEN build, all the files show correct date/time.

Any idea why the Mojave file manager - or maybe Xcode - is updating the file contents but not updating their date & time?

Last edited by Nonlinear; 07-24-2020 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:31 AM   #8
Tale

I dunno... But probably it's just updating YourPlug.vst/Contents/MacOS/YourPlug.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:29 AM   #9
Nonlinear

Quote:
...probably it's just updating YourPlug.vst/Contents/MacOS/YourPlug.
Ah, yes! Had to drill down to see that.

Thank you.