Old 03-12-2020, 04:57 AM   #1
ply
Human being with feelings

Default New Source-Destination editing scripts

Hi! I've written a ReaScript package for Source-Destination editing. It's available in my ReaPack repository: https://ply.github.io/ReaScripts/index.xml (preferred way, check ReaPack's user guide for instructions), or on github. They're very inspired by pelleke's actions (thank you!). Any feedback here or on github is very welcome.

Usage is documented in the script itself, but I paste it below as well:
Quote:
First, open the source project and use `Source-Destination setup` script.
It opens a duplicate of the currently opened project in a new tab (reads last
saved version), removes all items, markers and regions and sets all necessary
options. It will ask you for a filename to save the destination project.

Use `Source-Destination edit` to do the actual edits. It can do both
3- and 4-point edits. It copies audio from time selection in source project to:
- time selection in destination project if there is any time selection
- inserts audio at edit cursor otherwise

The script assumes the source project to be the leftmost tab, and destination
project to be in the currently opened project tab. In case the leftmost tab
is opened, it works with the rightmost tab as the destination.

Use `Source-Destination configuration` script for customization.

Last edited by ply; 01-04-2021 at 03:21 AM. Reason: link to ReaPack user guide
ply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:06 AM   #2
studer58

Thank you Pawel, I'm looking forward to trying this out very soon ! So I'm guessing with your script we would nominate a particular cross fade length for the whole project, but that this can be overridden and modified when necessary for any specific fades which require changes to the default ? Your script is applicable to both Mac and PC ?

Last edited by studer58; 03-15-2020 at 01:17 AM.
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:53 AM   #3
jotpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ply View Post
Hi! I've written a script for Source-Destination editing: https://github.com/ply/ReaScripts/tr...tion%20editing (ReaPack repository https://github.com/ply/ReaScripts/raw/master/index.xml). It's very inspired by pelleke's actions from https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...27&postcount=1 (thank you!). There are some improvements listed below. For usage instructions please refer the original post Any feedback here or on github is very welcome.

- during setup it just opens original project in new tab, removes items and markers, and asks for new filename to save it
- it works from both source and destination tab, assuming source tab is the first, and destination the last tab (or currently selected when it's not the first one)
- has better undo experience
- there is only one script for both editing with and without crossfades. Crossfade length defaults to crossfade length from preferences and can be overriden in the script itself (0 for disabling crossfades)
Hi Pawel,
thanks for this improvements which work really well in Reaper 6. There is one thing that doesn't fit in at least my workflow. After doing an edit, the section remains selected in the destination. I would prefer keeping the selection in the source project and not having it in the destination project. I fixed that by implementing your script into a custom action (removing selection and then moving edit cursor to the end of the inserted item) which works well, but maybe others are having the same issue? Editing is a lot quicker if you can simply drop one take after another without worrying about overwriting a predefined section.
jotpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:39 AM   #4
ply

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
So I'm guessing with your script we would nominate a particular cross fade length for the whole project, but that this can be overridden and modified when necessary for any specific fades which require changes to the default ? Your script is applicable to both Mac and PC ?
Sorry for late answer, I haven't noticed your edit earlier. When pasting, the script creates cross-fades with default length, and you can adjust them afterwards (I've found Reaper's cross-fade editor very handy). The script is platform-independent, so it should work the same on Mac and PC, but I've tested it on PC only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotpe View Post
After doing an edit, the section remains selected in the destination. I would prefer keeping the selection in the source project and not having it in the destination project. I fixed that by implementing your script into a custom action (removing selection and then moving edit cursor to the end of the inserted item) which works well, but maybe others are having the same issue? Editing is a lot quicker if you can simply drop one take after another without worrying about overwriting a predefined section.
Thanks for feedback, I'm glad you sorted it out. Actually sometimes it's helpful for me to keep the selection. I'll keep it this way, as it's easier to get rid of the selection later (e.g. with action), than to recreate it.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:40 AM   #5
pelleke

Hi!

THANK YOU! Original author here. I still get notified every time someone replies, and I've had neither time nor a suitable project to do this myself. It's absolutely awesome to see someone in the community pick this up.

I'll be sure to give them a try in the near future!
pelleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:06 AM   #6
clarkmedia

Default Problem with new S/D editing scripts

Hi,

Thanks Ply for keeping this function going! I depend on it in Reaper quite a bit.

I installed the new commands, and the edit command works for me, but I can't get the setup command to work. I get the following error message:

2020 SD setup.lua:1: unexpected symbol near '/'

Any ideas?

Many thanks - Chris

Last edited by clarkmedia; 09-17-2020 at 06:58 AM.
clarkmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:36 AM   #7
ply

Hi Chris!

Sorry for late answer, I haven't noticed your post earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkmedia View Post
2020 SD setup.lua:1: unexpected symbol near '/'
Setup script is an EEL script, so it should have .eel extension. I know it's an inconsistency with edit script - written in Lua - but I didn't have any need to fix it yet
Old 11-23-2020, 06:46 AM   #8
VolkSvottovaary

Hello! Sorry for my English..
This script is awesome! Many thanks to everyone involved. I am having a few small problems.
1. when trying to 3-point editing (in the source the selected area, and in the destination the cursor is in the place where I want to insert). At the end of the insert, two cuts are created side by side instead of one. The picture shows intersecting crossfades.
2. I don't even know if this is a problem or an idea. After inserting the destination in the project, not only the inserted, but also the items in front of them are highlighted.
3. When you create a destination project, tracks that were nested in another track are not transferred to it. In a new project, they stop being nested. (picture is also attached)
https://yadi.sk/i/WwsyN44XdeF8yg
https://yadi.sk/i/J7eqN42Q_b7mQQ
VolkSvottovaary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:35 AM   #9
ply

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolkSvottovaary View Post
1. when trying to 3-point editing (in the source the selected area, and in the destination the cursor is in the place where I want to insert). At the end of the insert, two cuts are created side by side instead of one. The picture shows intersecting crossfades.
Sorry, I can't reproduce that. It looks for me you just have chosen very short bit of audio to insert which makes these two cuts.

Quote:
2. I don't even know if this is a problem or an idea. After inserting the destination in the project, not only the inserted, but also the items in front of them are highlighted.
It's meant as a feature, so you have items selected to edit cross-fade in cross-fade editor straight away.

Quote:
3. When you create a destination project, tracks that were nested in another track are not transferred to it. In a new project, they stop being nested. (picture is also attached)
https://yadi.sk/i/WwsyN44XdeF8yg
https://yadi.sk/i/J7eqN42Q_b7mQQ
That's weird, did you have saved your source project? The script doesn't make a copy from memory - it opens the source file from the disk. I'll update the script to ask for saving changes before copying project.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:02 AM   #10
ply

I've released an update: converted setup script to Lua and made sure the source project is saved before generating destination project.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:02 AM   #11
studer58

Are there any practical limitations on how many Reaper project tracks could be simultaneously edited this way....or is that only limited by screen size and resolution ? I'm sure a simple stereo master track presents no problem, but is there any practical upper limit....could it handle an orchestral mix of say 16-30 microphones ?
Old 12-04-2020, 07:09 AM   #12
ply

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Are there any practical limitations on how many Reaper project tracks could be simultaneously edited this way....or is that only limited by screen size and resolution ? I'm sure a simple stereo master track presents no problem, but is there any practical upper limit....could it handle an orchestral mix of say 16-30 microphones ?
I'm not sure if you ask about my script or built-in cross-fade editor, so I'll answer both.

My script works with "ripple edit all tracks" on, so it edits all tracks in the project.

REAPER's built-in cross-fade editor works on items currently selected, so the only practical problem I see is how to select them. What I find very helpful here are item grouping, selecting by right-click&drag and all options and actions related to selecting vs item groups (like "select item selects all grouped items" etc.)
Old 12-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #13
ply

Hi! I've updated my scripts - it's possible to customize behaviour a bit now, and there are some minor fixes as well. It's now easy to add configuration options, so I'm open for suggestions
Old 12-30-2020, 04:35 PM   #14
Gass n Klang

nice, I'd like to test your scripts. Do you somewhere have instructions about how they work?
Old 12-31-2020, 03:03 AM   #15
ply

It's documented in the main ('edit') script itself, but I've also updated first post in this thread with usage information. If something is unclear, please ask!
Old 01-01-2021, 09:08 AM   #16
Gass n Klang

thanks, looks cool! I test it for the first time now.
Old 02-05-2021, 03:10 AM   #17
ply

Hi there! I've just updated the scripts, adding optional marker copying Enjoy!
Old 02-05-2021, 10:35 AM   #18
clarkmedia

Default WOW - THANK YOU!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ply View Post
Hi there! I've just updated the scripts, adding optional marker copying Enjoy!
Pawel - Wow, just wonderful! Thank you so much! I just tested and got the S/D Configure set up - how great. You keep giving me more and more reasons not to use Sequoia or Pyramix! Great work!

Best - Chris
clarkmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:10 PM   #19
studer58

Hi Pawel,

I was wondering if the latest version (v6.24) of Reaper’s new Razor Edit functions would have any efficiency gains for your S/D editing script ? It’s early days since the new release, and here is the Reaper Blog’s Jon Tidey giving a video overview of the Razor Edits functions (from about 7min 10 secs) :

https://reaperblog.us2.list-manage.c...e&e=0dbb43c1de

https://youtu.be/n_ZW-OdtxXg

Last edited by studer58; 03-07-2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:57 PM   #20
ply

Hi Ray!

It's an interesting feature. I don't think it's possible to use it to improve my scripts, but it could somehow replace them. However, for me it's still better to use the scripts - razor editing is mouse centric, my workflow is keyboard centric. I might be wrong though, and I'm happy to hear other opinions