Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-18-2020, 04:56 PM   #1
bd32
Human being with feelings

Default How to record NI Battery 3 plus analog input in Reaper?

I am playing drum sounds through a midi controller keyboard onto Native Instruments Battery 3 into a Focusrite 6i6, and am trying to get it to record into Reaper. I'm pretty green in terms of detailed use of Reaper and especially recording things like Battery.I'm just used to recording analog into it. It took me a long time to finally realize that I had to go to preferences in Reaper and enable my midi controller. Only then could I trigger the Battery ui that Reaper brought up. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get a few analog inputs to record along with the midi. When new tracks are created there's no input like I'm used to seeing (see attachment). How do I tell this track to record output 1 from my 6i6? Thanks

Last edited by bd32; 12-26-2021 at 03:31 PM.
bd32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:56 AM   #2
Judders

I'm a bit confused about what you're doing.

To record MIDI you don't need to go through your audio interface. Record arm the track with Battery on it, make sure it is set to record MIDI input, then audio should come out of those output tracks. You don't have to record audio, just MIDI.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:44 AM   #3
bd32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I'm a bit confused about what you're doing.

To record MIDI you don't need to go through your audio interface. Record arm the track with Battery on it, make sure it is set to record MIDI input, then audio should come out of those output tracks. You don't have to record audio, just MIDI.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry that wasn't clear. I'm very new to midi and VST instruments in general. I'm going straight into my laptop's USB from the controller. Battery seems to need the "Asio Config" and Focusrite 2.0 Audio Driver" as far as I can tell. At least for me to hear myself. When I play keys on the controller it's recording the midi in Reaper which is fine. I just want to add a microphone that's recording at the same time and I don't see how to do that in this Reaper setup. In the attached photo when I'm just going into Reaper with analog sources I see how to do it but not with this new setup using VST's and midi.

Last edited by bd32; 12-26-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:23 AM   #4
Judders

From your pictures it looks as if you are trying to record on tracks set to output from Battery, is that right?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:21 PM   #5
bd32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
From your pictures it looks as if you are trying to record on tracks set to output from Battery, is that right?
I've been having a very hard time figuring out how to assign things to new tracks in general. In this case I've been watching some Youtube videos and from that I added Battery through fx and it made a master and a bunch of additional tracks. I wanted to add a separate audio track for a microphone. Sometimes, on a new track, I see a place to add new input or a box for "routing" and sometimes I don't see either? I finally got both Battery recording to midi and an audio input for a mic going. It took quite a while and I couldn't repeat how I did it but I've saved it. Quite contusing for someone of my skill level to see how to put those inputs and routing in. Thanks

Last edited by bd32; 09-20-2020 at 06:56 PM.