Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 11-27-2020, 10:06 AM   #1
Gil Navarro
Human being with feelings

Default I need help understanding wine

Hi,
I'd like to understand, on the most basic level, how to install wine, and how to use it to install some windows plugins in linux.
I'm currently using Pop OS because for whatever reason it's one of the only distros that allow the GUI to work with my Harrison AVA plugins. I like the distro just fine. My basic questions are:

1. What is the best way to install wine, and what version? I can install it through the Pop OS application manager but once installed, I'm not sure how to use it. I only see a couple of wine applications like "wine help" and Wine Wizard (or something like that). Maybe the application manager isn't the best way to install wine?

2. Once properly installed, how do I use wine? If I click on the executable does it automatically use wine to install or do I open wine first?

As you can see these are the very most basic of questions but I need to start there.
Thanks for any advice.
Gil

edit: I'm not asking because I'm too lazy to figure it out myself. I've spent several hours trying different things and researching, but I'm not having success and just becoming more confused.
Gil Navarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 01:08 PM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Navarro View Post
Hi,
I'd like to understand, on the most basic level, how to install wine, and how to use it to install some windows plugins in linux.
I'm currently using Pop OS because for whatever reason it's one of the only distros that allow the GUI to work with my Harrison AVA plugins.
I run Xubuntu and use the Harrison AVA Mastering EQ on most projects. The GUI works fine in that distro as well.

Quote:
I like the distro just fine. My basic questions are:

1. What is the best way to install wine, and what version? I can install it through the Pop OS application manager but once installed, I'm not sure how to use it. I only see a couple of wine applications like "wine help" and Wine Wizard (or something like that). Maybe the application manager isn't the best way to install wine?

2. Once properly installed, how do I use wine? If I click on the executable does it automatically use wine to install or do I open wine first?

As you can see these are the very most basic of questions but I need to start there.
Thanks for any advice.
Gil

edit: I'm not asking because I'm too lazy to figure it out myself. I've spent several hours trying different things and researching, but I'm not having success and just becoming more confused.
You can install wine through Synaptic, or in a terminal window using something like,

sudo apt-get install wine-staging

Once you have wine installed, double clicking a Windows executable file will run it, so you would run the installers for your Windows plugins just like you did in Windows, but they will install in the virtual drive C: that wine uses.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #3
Gil Navarro

Thanks for the reply. I've read through most of the pages on that post. Unfortunately a lot of the information that I read assumes some pre-knowledge.
I'll refine my question a bit, maybe you know the answer.

1. I've installed the following things:
-wine
-playonlinux (gui for wine)
-carla
-carla bridges for win32,64-linux32,64-wine 32,64.

2. I'm able to install windows plugins to a .dll in a folder

3. The "tools" choices in my carla window are limited to just two things, whereas the choices in the youtube tutorial screenshot has more choices, like win64 etc.

Any idea how I can get my carla window to display more "tool" options?
Attached Images
File Type: png Carla Screenshot.png (35.0 KB, 89 views)
Old 11-27-2020, 05:47 PM   #4
Glennbo

You don't really need Carla and it adds another layer of complexity to making Windows plugins work.

All you need is to get a functioning wine (play on linux not really needed) then double click the installer for a Windows plugin. If wine is functioning, the plugin installer will most likely do the same thing it did in Windows.

Once your Windows plugins are installed I would recommend using LinVST which is a Windows to Linux bridge where you have it do a scan of your Windows plugins and it creates native Linux .so files in the same folders so a scan in REAPER will believe that it is picking up native Linux plugins, when they are really little stubs that point to the real Windows .dll file.

Last edited by Glennbo; 11-27-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:10 PM   #5
Gil Navarro

Thanks
Old 11-28-2020, 03:12 PM   #6
4duhwinnn

In carla Settings, the last choice is 'enable experimental features'

Windows software support will be part of those features.

https://kx.studio/Repositories

The above link has the cut&paste commands to add kxstudio repository,
the carla dev also maintains jackd and wineasio, and other good tools
in his repo.

Be careful not to mix wine from a distro, with wine-staging from wineHQ.
If you install wine from a ubuntu/debian repository, and are unhappy with
the results,
it must be totally removed before installing wine-staging,
or wine-stable, from the wineHQ repository, more cut&paste to add the repository to synaptic:

https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

https://wiki.winehq.org/Download

Carla is a daw, with it's own capabilities, it can be run concurrently
with reaper in most cases, and is a convenient swiss-army-knife.
You can route and record the output of both to timemachine and other recorder utilities,
with qjackctl or other patchbay. With standalone effects in between, if desired.

I suggest starting both wine and reaper from terminals, so if a rare
lockup occurs, you might be able to shut things down closing the
terminal itself. And over time, various lights will dawn in the terminal output.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:57 PM   #7
Gil Navarro

Thanks for the info