Old 09-19-2020, 03:22 AM   #1
falloc
Human being with feelings

Default nanokontrol 2 with reaper not working

My nanokontrol 2 just arrived yesterday. After installing the driver I connected it to a windows 8.1 laptop to use with reaper. I couldn't get it to work at first and when I read the instructions I found out I had to press and hold the "set marker" and "cycle" buttons when connecting. So I tried that too. I also mapped it to "mackie control universal" setting with midi inputs and outputs selected. Nothing seems to work. The only functioning inputs are the pan controls. But even they are not correctly functional, when I slightly move them they go maximum left or right.

I tried to find solutions on youtube and google. One of them was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9OfwDr8oYQ&t=735s but I couldn't do exactly what was said here. Only when I tried the "HUI(partial)" as control surface it started to slightly react but still worked wrongly. For example the solo track button on the device works to send the fader to minus infinite and the record arm button worked as 100% pan left. Except these and the pan knobs(see above) the other buttons/faders have no reaction.
falloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
jazzmandan

Just thinking today of ordering the little nanokontrol 2. Number of folks over in VI-Control recommend it but suggested there may be some issues with Reaper! Then I come here see this message in the forum, so I start to do a deep dive search. After 10 minutes I have determined that this is not where I want to go. Good luck and hope you figure it out.
"significantly better than bad..." - Dell XPS i7, 16G Ram, Win 10 64Bit, REAPER 64Bit, MOTU Audio Express, PG Music - BIAB 2020, Kontakt 5, more VSTs than I know what to do with. Will trade all to play the guitar and keys better!
jazzmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
falloc

Well I saw some people on youtube use it in Reaper. I guess there may be a way around by setting it up correctly if only I find it. Good luck to you also.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:33 AM   #4
pwallin

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloc View Post
Well I saw some people on youtube use it in Reaper. I guess there may be a way around by setting it up correctly if only I find it. Good luck to you also.
Works well with Klinke's add on. Only metronome button does not work.
pwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
falloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwallin View Post
Works well with Klinke's add on. Only metronome button does not work.
I don't have Klinke's add on. How can I find it?
Old 09-22-2020, 08:07 AM   #6
pwallin

Quote:
I don't have Klinke's add on. How can I find it?
This may help. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=81818
pwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:30 AM   #7
falloc

I can't download the file. Might be a regional issue
Old 09-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #8
bourzia

I actually use my Nanokontrol 2 in HUI mode with Reaper. not everything works but it's much less glitchy thank MCU mode with Klinke.

disable the Nanokontrol 2 in midi devices if you're using it in Mackie Control or HUI.
bourzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:20 AM   #9
falloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourzia View Post
I actually use my Nanokontrol 2 in HUI mode with Reaper. not everything works but it's much less glitchy thank MCU mode with Klinke.

disable the Nanokontrol 2 in midi devices if you're using it in Mackie Control or HUI.
I tried disabling it as you said and also changing input and output ID's of the midi device. I can almost say I tried every set-up combination. No success. I'm starting to believe my device has a problem.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:09 AM   #10
falloc

OK finally I managed to make it work. I had been in touch with the local Korg technical support team and they gave me some instructions in Korg Kontrol editor. Something like common>control mode>Sonar and write scene data. After that it started working correctly.

BTW I found out that the sliders which control volume faders are reacting a little fast even when I move them while holding the ctrl key. Mouse control was smoother. Is there a way to help with that?
Old 10-03-2020, 08:29 AM   #11
jazzmandan

Quote:
OK finally I managed to make it work. I had been in touch with the local Korg technical support team and they gave me some instructions in Korg Kontrol editor. Something like common>control mode>Sonar and write scene data. After that it started working correctly.

I am still interested in purchasing and making this work. With that in mind these are the best instructions I have found. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=151181 - see the referenced video. Also here is an update as of mid 2019 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18SLcnbqwaI showing the same Korg problem with Windows.

Does this sound similar to your experience? I just hit up Sweetwater and my Nano is on its way. Fingers crossed.
"significantly better than bad..." - Dell XPS i7, 16G Ram, Win 10 64Bit, REAPER 64Bit, MOTU Audio Express, PG Music - BIAB 2020, Kontakt 5, more VSTs than I know what to do with. Will trade all to play the guitar and keys better!

Last edited by jazzmandan; 10-03-2020 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:28 AM   #12
falloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmandan View Post
I am still interested in purchasing and making this work. With that in mind these are the best instructions I have found. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=151181 - see the referenced video. Also here is an update as of mid 2019 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18SLcnbqwaI showing the same Korg problem with Windows.

Does this sound similar to your experience? I just hit up Sweetwater and my Nano is on its way. Fingers crossed.
I tried messing with midi files but that didn't help me. Yes it was something similar to those ones. I mentioned what solution worked for me in my previous post. I don't have more knowledge than that. But if you can't get it done I can explain to you what I did in detail as last resort. But if mine worked out there is 90% chance you too will succeed. Let's find out
Old 10-03-2020, 11:38 AM   #13
jazzmandan

Quote:
But if mine worked out there is 90% chance you too will succeed. Let's find out

I feel pretty confident, thanks again - will report back in a week or so...

By the way, these Part 1 and Part 2 videos should be a prerequisite for the Nano 2
Here is Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyTwjJNpq94

Last edited by jazzmandan; 10-05-2020 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:19 PM   #14
jazzmandan

Took me better part of 2 hours just to repeat over and over the instructions. But it did install a driver which was recognized by Korg Control Editor. I discovered an updated win 10 driver for the NanoKontrol2 here (https://www.korg.com/us/support/down...er/1/285/3541/

It overwrote the older drivers, which I got from links in the forum and had successfully installed. Not sure it helped but it does not appear to have hurt.

The whole thing was not a pleasant experience. Now I have to figure out what I can actually do with this. That will take time.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I2u...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by jazzmandan; 10-07-2020 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:47 AM   #15
falloc

so is it working now? If so the device is not much complicated. The left/right track buttons change the selected set of tracks. For example initially the first 8 tracks are controlled by the faders/knobs etc. if you press right track button the next set of 8 tracks are selected (as 9, 10, 11...) The cycle button controls the metronom function. If you press play again during playback it acts as pause. Marker buttons don't work correctly so I don't use them. The rest of the controls are obvious. I'm using the mackie control universal setting for these controls. If you use a different one things may change slightly. That's all to it. Have fun!
Old 10-07-2020, 06:18 AM   #16
jazzmandan

Thanks for the encouragement.

I set up "Klinke's add on" which I downloaded? Took about 1 - 2 minutes max to have it installed in Reaper and working with the Nano (thanks to the video above).

One unspoken concern has always been the age of this hardware and all these references. This thing goes back a decade. At the current $80 it cost more today then in the distant past. So is there a better way to run this in 2020.

Should we be using....DrivenbyMOss4Reaper"? At the present moment that long tread in the forum is a bit beyond my comprehension. Oh, well one thing at a time.

By the way, this is a cool new addon to the old KeyStation61
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n92...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by jazzmandan; 10-07-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:29 AM   #17
Softsynth

80 dollars?
I paid about £20-25 new several years back - it's just about worth £25 given the addition of the software package of VSTs that you can upgrade at a cut price rate.
Every year or two Windows updates break driver support for this thing, then it's quite a rigmarole to make it work again.

Korg still sell this simple device so age is no excuse.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:36 AM   #18
Dark Fader

It's currently selling for 99 Down Under Dollars!
Dark Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:47 AM   #19
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Fader View Post
It's currently selling for 99 Down Under Dollars!
Sweet jesus. The build quality is bargain bin grade. It is just about okay under £30, and that's considering the excellent software package for beginners.

Beyond that the wobbly sliders and pots are worth a few pence, with plastic out of a Christmas cracker or kinder egg toy. It's not a quality item, but it works well enough - when it works.

For me it happens to be slim enough to sit on my digital piano controller along with other controllers, that's why I persist with it. As a whole package it's still an easy recommendation at £25-30 but at 99 dollars!!!
Old 10-08-2020, 03:21 AM   #20
Dark Fader

I think we often get the rough end of the pineapple down under!

I'm using an Alesis VI61 myself, absolutely love it (after changing the keybed velocity setting!). Really solid build, great keybed feel.
Dark Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:29 AM   #21
jazzmandan

As a new buyer and having recently researched this device, I fully agree with all that has been said. Well, maybe all except that pineapple thing. I don't know much about that.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:19 AM   #22
Softsynth

A recent Windows update broke the drivers for my Korg Nanokontrol 2.
I got the Nanokontrol 2 working again by using the korg uninstallation app and removing lots of the midi devices (none Korg midi devices). Upon reboot the Nano-Kontrol was usable again.
As far as I remember the Korg has a pathetic software limitation where inexplicably it has to work on one of the first 9 midi entries (despite other midi items working happily beyond that).
The recent Windows update had moved the korg up the midi list which is what happens with some major Windows updates. so you have to be wary if you have multiple midi devices plugged into windows.

All the other midi devices worked correctly immediately. They were unaffected by the Windows updates, and their performance was unaffected by being switched around.