Old 02-06-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
trevlyns
Human being with feelings

Default 2 Mic Vocal Recording Ideas?

Greetings fellow mortals.

I’m thinking of using two microphones for recording lead vocals. I have a Behringer C1 condenser and a Shure SM58 dynamic.

The C1 would have to go through my mixer for phantom power. Should I route the SM58 through the mixer as well or can I send it direct to my 2 input audio interface? My aim is to have a separate track for each mic in Reaper – both recorded at the same time.

Also, as far as mic placement is concerned, is it OK to have the condenser and dynamic mics very close together? I want to use a single pop filter for both.

Your input greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
G-Sun

You'll need a preamp for the sm58
So it's sm58 > preamp > interface

BTW: Seems like you could benefit from using just one mic.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevlyns View Post
Greetings fellow mortals.

I’m thinking of using two microphones for recording lead vocals. I have a Behringer C1 condenser and a Shure SM58 dynamic.

The C1 would have to go through my mixer for phantom power. Should I route the SM58 through the mixer as well or can I send it direct to my 2 input audio interface? My aim is to have a separate track for each mic in Reaper – both recorded at the same time.

Also, as far as mic placement is concerned, is it OK to have the condenser and dynamic mics very close together? I want to use a single pop filter for both.

Your input greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I think having two mics at the same distance from the singer is a waiste of time. Use one mic, the one that sounds best on the singer.

You could use the second mike to do the 'steve albini' effect that he used on Kurt Cobain's voice in 'Heartshaped Box'. The second mike is put a couple of meters away from him, the first mike where it normall would be. The second mike is gated such that it only picks up when the singing volume is at a certain threshold

this creates the addition of the 'room-tone/reverb' but only when you sing outloud. Check out the track, you can clearly hear it.

Yves
yhertogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:34 AM   #4
nicholas
Scribe

Go for it, but be prepared to take the time to experiment with mic placement. I've obtained good results using a condenser mic as the main vocal mic with an SM58 placed a little off axis. The resulting mix can be fuller and more powerful ... much depends on the song and the style of music.

BTW I'm a tad puzzled at the comment that you need a preamp for the SM58 - it's a dynamic mic, I've never needed to use a pre-amp with mine ...
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
RevG

Can you describe a bit about what effect you're trying to acheive by using the two mics?
RevG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
d. gauss

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhertogh View Post
use the second mike to do the 'steve albini' effect that he used on Kurt Cobain's voice in 'Heartshaped Box'.

fwiw, david bowie did this decades earlier on "heroes."
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Kenny

You can use the same mixer, phantom won't hurt the 58. Just make sure to pan each mic hard left and hard right...however if it's a cheap mixer you may have cross talk issues, but I wouldn't worry about it just yet.
If you want both mics close, which could certainly be valid if they have different qualities, make sure their diaphragms are as even as possible to avoid phasing. You can either blend the two sounds or use one for verse and one for chorus, or process differently...really the possiblities are endless.
I occassionally also like to use two spaced apart with a close mic to "eat" and work the proximity response, while another is back a foot or so away to catch the more natural sound.
I've also been known to use a mid/side configuration on lead vocals, mostly because I have an unhealthy infatuation with mid/side, but it can be very usefull in more minimalist mixes, like with only a handfull of acoustic instruments and a lot of negative space.

Oh, and if you want to use a pop filter, you really only need it on the mic closest to you.

Last edited by Kenny; 02-06-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
jacobestes

I want to experiment with adding a second mic placed back a few feet and use it to feed a reverb / delay type track. I'm looking for a vocal sound on this thing where it's fairly evenly across all songs, all verse and chorus and such, been doubled and delayed and so on, but not so much that goes from feeling like its "sound" to an effect.
jacobestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #9
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
BTW I'm a tad puzzled at the comment that you need a preamp for the SM58 - it's a dynamic mic, I've never needed to use a pre-amp with mine ...
The Sm58 needs 40-50db gain depending on the singer. Do you really put that straight into your AD recording at -50 to -60dbFS??

But of course, the mixer has probably a preamp that can be used, so yes then sm58 > mixer > interface
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:14 AM   #10
trevlyns

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevG View Post
Can you describe a bit about what effect you're trying to acheive by using the two mics?
Thanks for all the interest and constructive comments, guys. The idea is to have the two tracks to give me a few more options. In the final mixing stage, I could decide to use one or the other (if there were a marginal difference) or maybe blend the two. I could also play around with effects and plugins on either or both tracks.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:30 AM   #11
gavriloP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobestes View Post
I want to experiment with adding a second mic placed back a few feet and use it to feed a reverb / delay type track. I'm looking for a vocal sound on this thing where it's fairly evenly across all songs, all verse and chorus and such, been doubled and delayed and so on, but not so much that goes from feeling like its "sound" to an effect.
I've done this and especially in small room it helps. This way I can sing up close and not get so much room to the main vox. I use the other mic 100% wet for reverb sends only, this way it reduces esses and plosives and proximity from the verb. I also have used old 60s Electro Voice 631a mic for this application (it is practically 635, btw). That mic is omni and it cuts low end and high end so it is suited for this. The trick is to have that mic so much further that it won't be "spitty" and also that I use 100% wet reverb on it. It may be helpful to use predelay with that verb too.
gavriloP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
Steve36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Go for it, but be prepared to take the time to experiment with mic placement. I've obtained good results using a condenser mic as the main vocal mic with an SM58 placed a little off axis. The resulting mix can be fuller and more powerful ... much depends on the song and the style of music.
Same here...but the other way round (dynamic for the singer to use as they would live,and the condenser slightly back,to the side, and a little off axis)...

Steve
Steve36 is offline   Reply With Quote