Old 01-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
Flareless
Human being with feelings

Default Saitara AC-7 for iPad and Reaper

Does anyone know if this product is still being supported? It is a wicked cool control surface application for the iPad which is supposed to work with Reaper (along with a laundry list of popular DAW apps).

I've purchased the app, got it installed on my iPad 2 and connected to Reaper 4.14 on my Mac without a single problem.

I ran into a few issues which I posted on Saitara's forum, however, there is very little activity there. Additionally, other users have reported the same problems without receiving resolutions. The company so far has not yet responded to a direct email.

I'm hoping that the product is still being supported because if it worked correctly it would be a very useful tool.

Incidentally, here's what's going on...

I'm using an iMac with OSX 10.7.2 and an iPad 2 with iOS 5.01 and the latest version of AC-7. I'm experiencing the problem where "indicator lights" for lack of a better term are not staying lit. The buttons perform their functions fine, however, their status doesn't remain displayed on AC-7.

Sometimes pressing another button on the strip (mute or solo for example) will cause a strip's light to activate. Let's say I solo a track. On Reaper the solo light comes on. On AC-7 it flashes then darkens. Then I push Mute on the same track. The Mute light will appear on Reaper, the Solo light will come on in AC-7 and the Mute light in AC-7 will flash then darken.

Another issue I experienced was when switching projects the track labels were not correctly picked up by AC-7. I'm having trouble duplicating this issue but I noticed it earlier today.

Finally I've noticed that the when the track slide controls are line up with the Unity Gain markers on AC-7 they are slightly off in Reaper. I'm getting +1.6 db on the corresponding track in Reaper.

I've played with the latency on my MIDI setup but I've had the same results. I had no problem getting the software set up and running and it seems to be working fine with the exceptions I mentioned. I really like this application and if I could get it working reliably that'd be great.
Flareless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Flareless

So nobody has tried this software out? Wow!

I've still got no reply from the vendor through either email or their forum regarding the issues I've described.

Too bad because if it worked properly AC-7 would be a very useful tool. As it stands I guess all I can say is save yourself the $7 if you're planning on using the product with Reaper.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:13 AM   #3
alanofoz

Works just fine with Reaper on a PC. Sorry, can't help with a Mac though.
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:38 AM   #4
Morpion

I'm extremely tempted by this:

http://www.neyrinck.com/en/products/v-control-pro

The V-window control looks superb - switching between rewired apps and hosted plugins in Reaper would be awesome, especially if you can write automation via multitouch with very little latency.
Morpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:22 AM   #5
Flareless

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Alanofoz
You gave me a great idea, thanks! I ran Reaper on a PC notebook and connected to AC-7. This time the indicator lights seemed to work perfectly. The volume difference when at the markers is still off though. In fact, if I use the fine adjustment it is actually off by +1.77.

I switched my iPad back to the Mac and the problem with the indicator lights returned immediately.

@Morpion
That control really does look cool! I was considering it except for 2 things; First, it's freaking expensive. Reaper itself is only $10 more. For the budget conscious musician it doesn't make sense. Second (related to the first), I've already lost $7 to a vendor who so far has not even replied to a single support message. Do I risk another $50?

Oh well, too bad, so sad for me. The lesson is watch your ass in the App Store.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #6
pixeltarian

it has been replaced by ac-7 core
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:03 AM   #7
Morpion

If it's as good as it looks I'd say it's well worth the money - in relative terms it's actually very cheap. I see what you mean about the cost compared to Reaper, but then Reaper is ridiculously cheap compared to almost every other piece of pro audio software or plugin I can think of, or own myself. You just get an awful lot of bang for your buck!

(@pixeltarian - Going by the date of the original post I'd guess the OP is already using the Core version of AC-7; I'd already posted that info with a link but deleted the post when I saw he mentions it being supposed to work in Reaper and the post was only from December; actually, January, I was looking at the join date! I'm not even sure the Pro version was still on the app store then.)

Last edited by Morpion; 01-26-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Morpion

Just noticed that V-Control has a free version with all the features of the full version except plugin editing within the V-Window. Just downloaded it now.

EDIT: It's fantastic. I'm probably buying the full version after using this for ten minutes.

Last edited by Morpion; 01-26-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
Steve Folta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpion View Post
Just noticed that V-Control has a free version with all the features of the full version except plugin editing within the V-Window. Just downloaded it now.
Are you able to rec-arm and record from the free version? I can't.
Steve Folta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:06 AM   #10
Morpion

Hahah, yes, that's a good point. I was just messing around last night with a completed project so didn't even notice the lack of a record button. Kind of got too blinded by the potential of the V-window to notice much else other than the flying faders, which work really well. Never mind - I'm impressed enough with this to buy the full version which does have record and automation arm* functions.

(*at least it appears to have automation arm functions. It certainly does in other hosts - I'm just about to join the Neyrinck forum now to ask about Reaper in the pro version.)

Last edited by Morpion; 01-27-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:21 AM   #11
Coachz

$49.99 is too much for it imo. Hell it's the price of the entire DAW !!
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #12
philait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
$49.99 is too much for it imo. Hell it's the price of the entire DAW !!
And about a Grand Cheaper than a pro* control surface
It's all relative.

*Note Cheap Control Surfaces are also available
philait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #13
Coachz

still too much as it is NOT a physical control surface, it's just some lousy bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by philait View Post
And about a Grand Cheaper than a pro* control surface
It's all relative.

*Note Cheap Control Surfaces are also available
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
Flareless

Quote:
Never mind - I'm impressed enough with this to buy the full version which does have record and automation arm* functions.
Please let us know how it works out.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:58 AM   #15
Morpion

I will do - I'm in two minds whether or not to buy it today or finish a couple of projects I'm working on first. I just know I'm going to get distracted testing it out, and now I'm sitting here looking at the free version running on my iPad, trying to convince myself that the full version could help me get these things finished quicker if I just use it for some volume automation and leave playing with the V-window thing alone until I start something new...
Old 04-08-2012, 04:53 AM   #16
Flareless

Quote:
I will do - I'm in two minds whether or not to buy it today or finish a couple of projects I'm working on first. I just know I'm going to get distracted testing it out, and now I'm sitting here looking at the free version running on my iPad, trying to convince myself that the full version could help me get these things finished quicker if I just use it for some volume automation and leave playing with the V-window thing alone until I start something new...
Did you ever get a chance to play with the full version of V-Control? I played with the demo and was really impressed. This package is head and shoulders above the other products out there as far as capabilities. I can see why they want big bucks for it. Do I need all those toys? I'm not sure. While I'm just beginning to play in the home studio arena I find that having a great set of tools lets you do what you actually set out to do; make music. What may seem like overkill in the beginning may be the right choice in the long run.

I found another app, Absum-8 which is similar to AC-7 and V-Control. Like AC-7, though, Absum-8 uses OSX's native MIDI drivers. Unfortunately I experienced the exact same problems with intermittent indicators as I did with AC-7. The difference is that I received support from the developer of Absum-8 and never heard squat from the vendor of AC-7. The issue was never resolved but they responded promptly.

I have actually been using AC-7 "in combat" as it were. While the indicators are intermittent the sliders and buttons work perfectly. Having the ability to move around the studio, particularly behind the drums while still controlling your DAW is a great bonus. If I have to chose between two paid-for apps that exhibit the same problem (only on Macs, they both work fine with PCs) I'll pick the one with what I feel is the better interface.

As for V-Control.... If they'd have a "Special Sale" and drop the price to $19.95 I'd be all over it. Better yet at $9.99 I'd bet most people would get off the fence and jump on board too.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #17
Morpion

@Flareless - yeah, I've been using it happily for a while now. It's not got the prettiest interface compared to something like a custom Lemur controller but the V-window thing is just brilliant. It not only allows you to open and control plugins in a project, but also to view other apps and control them (it's very useful to switch outputs on my Apogee Duet without having to touch the mouse or keyboard, for example). The only problem with it is how some plugins respond to the touch interface. I find Cableguys' Curve is a bit erratic, for example, although that's the only one I can say I've had problems with. I recommended it to a friend of mine who runs a recording/mastering studio (he uses ProTools, though) and he's had a similar good experience with it and says he uses it daily in a professional capacity.

The price is clearly a problem for some people. I can understand why, but I don't have any issues with spending money on something which adds something to my studio experience that was previously lacking, or missing altogether. I bought the Lemur app as soon as it came out for the same reason. It took me longer to decide whether or not I really wanted to buy this V-Control app, but I'm definitely happy with my decision (I already have TouchOSC and bought the AC-7 controller when it first came out but that was when I used Logic, and I'd have needed to upgrade if I wanted the Reaper compatible version. I suppose you could say I went for the more expensive but more full-featured option over the AC-7 upgrade, and that was pretty much based on poor comments about their support, like Flareless mentioned in the previous post).

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. It's a great controller app IMO, and let's face it, it's not really all that expensive. I can easily spend the same on a night in a pub.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
philait

Quote:
, it's not really all that expensive. I can easily spend the same on a night in a pub.
Wow you're a cheap night out

On a serious note, V control uses Mackie control for Reaper but OSC for Logic, if they drop Mackie and move to OSC for Reaper it will be loads better. I bought the pro version on Morphion's recommendation (I'm not the pro guy he mentioned!) and it is very good, OSC will move it beyond Reapers limited MCU support in the future I hope.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #19
Finnish

I'm on the PC side. Can you use the plugin window in free version, all I need is my spectum analyzer in the iPad screen
Old 04-09-2012, 12:38 AM   #20
philait

You can view the v window but not interact with it on the free version. Give it a go it's free
Old 04-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #21
Flareless

@ Morpion - Thanks for the review! Very useful information. I may just have to go ahead and spring for it.