Old 04-13-2006, 10:38 AM   #1
BoxOfSnoo
Human being with feelings

Default Inputs vs Outputs

Hi all, first let me tell you my story..

I downloaded REAPER the other day, but left it sitting there, because "how useful could a 900k application really be?" Once I installed it, i was blown away! It's great!

Now the problem I am having is in recording my PODxt into my laptop. I have a Sigmatel chip in this (Inspiron 6400) and installed the ASIO4All drivers. The PODxt represents itself as an ASIO device, but once I select that as the INPUT, I can't hear what's going on, because I seem to have to use the PODxt as the OUTPUT device too. This is not really happening if I want to jam along with something else.

The other problem is when I choose ASIO4All as the device, I get input devices listed just fine, but the output devices claim they are "not connected". The ASIO4All config app shows both input and output as available when not running REAPER but as soon as I run REAPER the output says not available.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Is there another way to use two different devices for source & destination?

Thanks.
BoxOfSnoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
BoxOfSnoo

Default PODxt

Talking to myself here

It turns out the PODxt is more capable than I realized... it is basically also a USB sound card... all my output information, including other tracks, click, etc. are actually sent back to the PODxt.

Whoa, REAPER + PODxt, what an amazing combo. (OK, sfz and ns_kit too)
Old 04-13-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
manning1

i got reaper working with asio4all by deleting my reaper.ini file.
it created a new one and i was off to the races.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
Rednroll

Lots of people on the Cakewalk Sonar forums said they have had problems with the Pod's drivers. To put it mildly, everyone says they're "sh*t". Have you used the Pod with any other app? If you're having any problems with using the Pod, I would look at the POD first and then the app second.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:47 PM   #5
BoxOfSnoo

Nope they've been fine for me, though I haven't used them much in Windows. In GarageBand it works fine.

It could be they need to get the latest firmware, too.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
chrishurley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo
Nope they've been fine for me, though I haven't used them much in Windows. In GarageBand it works fine.

It could be they need to get the latest firmware, too.
I think you're pretty lucky. The line6 forums are full of people complaining about the USB drivers for the POD. Evidently, they either work or they don't on a given system. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground and Line6 doesn't seem to be able to make it work.

The toneport drivers seem to work better for some reason.
chrishurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 01:12 PM   #7
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishurley
I think you're pretty lucky. The line6 forums are full of people complaining about the USB drivers for the POD. Evidently, they either work or they don't on a given system. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground and Line6 doesn't seem to be able to make it work.
My guess is the system is the problem... they might have garbage USB drivers or a nasty chipset. This is a pity, of course, it kinda wrecks the "U" in USB. I'm very happy I happen to have a system that works!

I haven't noticed these posts, I only really look at the POD forum though... Lots of people whining about tone though, even though the tone is fabulous.

I have to try recording dry and reamping now, with REAPER. Dunno if it will work with the xt or not...