Old 04-11-2006, 05:21 PM   #1
manning1
Human being with feelings

Default a question for justin (developer).

firstly justin let me congrat you on the effort your putting into reaper. excellent effort.
i LOVE the small footprint.
please dont loose that focus. like so many programs do.
when i started coding decades ago we were forced to use minimal resources in those times for obvious reasons. it wasnt available....lol.
anyway..to the question. when i invoke the built in plug ins in reaper...is this 64 bit processing ??
out of curioisity how many man hours has reaper been to date ??
heck of a nice effort. a labor of love obviously.congrats.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

The Jesusonic effects included all use 64 bit floating point math..

Man hours, I don't know, but approximately 5 or 6 man-months...

-Justin
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:42 PM   #3
manning1

justin...
thanks...on the 64 bit info. THATS NICE !!!
ive had folks tell me one needs the new vista to do 64 bit math.
i try and tell them its not needed necessarily....cos normal windows lets a programmer
do 64 bit math ....but what the heck do i know.
i'm just a dumb engineer.
do you see any advantages of useing vista for reaper out of interest ??
what is reaper done in... assembler ?? C++ ??
just technical curiosity.
dont worry...ive done my share of coding in my young days.
if i never write another line of code i'll be happy.
the mantle is being passed on to the younger generation.
i'm retired now. and my wife just retired.
i just enjoy writing songs now.
just a couple of teeny ideas.
could we have a button M for mute and S for solo ??
i think most folks are used to that.
pretty please...a huge thing that would put reaper way up there in my opinion would be if i'm playing back a midi drum track...
and if i could press F(for drum fill) on pc kbd at any point...
and reaper created a drum fill for me...this would be most usefull.
if it produced a different fill each time so i could loop until i found a fill i liked...that would be neat. maybe have a seperate midi drum fills track ??
for further editing ?? i think it true to say the biggest pain in recording is getting good drum tracks. and anything that makes it easier is a great help.
i apologise if ive missed this justin...but is there any way i can nudge a track or section of a track forwards by a user input milliseconds ??
maybe a nudge button in the track slice. when user clicks it
it asks how many milliseconds for example.
all the best.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
could we have a button M for mute and S for solo ??
i think most folks are used to that
That's already available in the "Preferences" options. And to nudge an item use "4" or "6" on the number pad (probably also labelled with appropriate arrows).
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:17 PM   #5
manning1

art....
thankyou so much.
spot on.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:08 AM   #6
RokkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning1

pretty please...a huge thing that would put reaper way up there in my opinion would be if i'm playing back a midi drum track...
if it produced a different fill each time so i could loop until i found a fill i liked...that would be neat. maybe have a seperate midi drum fills track ??
for further editing ?? i think it true to say the biggest pain in recording is getting good drum tracks. and anything that makes it easier is a great help.
Whoah!...very nice, another pretty please from me

--
RokkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:04 AM   #7
MJH

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokkD
Whoah!...very nice, another pretty please from me

--
Well, geeze... I don't need that as I'm a drummer but if we're going to automate musicians, could we add auto-chords, arps, trills, auto-tune, auto-strums up & down, auto-melody, auto-arrange, auto-verse, auto-chorus, auto-bridge, auto-solo auto-coda, auto-intro, auto-outro, all assignable to keystrokes for melodic instruments please?

Oh and auto-lyrics would be handy too...

MJ
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:22 AM   #8
manning1

mjh...re...geeze.
i feel what your saying, but the reality is a lot of songwriters like myself dont have access to ace drummers.
or in some cases the drummer that one had moved to a new house say in another part of the country.....and lots of other reasons.
another reason for the suggestion is for demos to show a real drummer one brings into a studio the rough idea one is aiming for in a song.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:51 AM   #9
RokkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH
could we add auto-chords, arps, trills, auto-tune, auto-strums up & down, auto-melody, auto-arrange, auto-verse, auto-chorus, auto-bridge, auto-solo auto-coda, auto-intro, auto-outro, all assignable to keystrokes for melodic instruments please?

Oh and auto-lyrics would be handy too...

MJ
nah...just the drum fills, and guess what drummerboy, you could choose not to use the 'F' key..

--
Old 04-12-2006, 07:53 AM   #10
MJH

Quote:
mjh...re...geeze.
i feel what your saying, but the reality is a lot of songwriters like myself dont have access to ace drummers.
or in some cases the drummer that one had moved to a new house say in another part of the country.....and lots of other reasons.
another reason for the suggestion is for demos to show a real drummer one brings into a studio the rough idea one is aiming for in a song.

manning1,

I get that, believe me, I've been getting it since the early '80s.

I'm 52, been playing drums most of my life. Made my living on the road for 20 of those years.

My aggravation stems from the ability to simulate drums easily since the advent of drum machines and computers due to the fact that drum notes, other than cymbals don't sustain and drums are so math based.

I have the same problems as you... I have little ability to contact fellow road musicians, melodic in my case, though I play keys also, (another instrument hit badly by technology) to lay down scratch or other tracks for me. I now am subject to laboring on the melodic tracks with my keyboard.

Sorry, I just don't feel your pain. Drum machines (though I program better than most if not all melodic musicians), computers, karaoke, DJs, solo, keyboard acts, drum loops, etc. have taken a huge toll on my lively-hood over the years... sour grapes?... can you blame me?

MJ
Old 04-12-2006, 08:10 AM   #11
manning1

mjh...
i DO feel your pain.
good friends of mine went thru same in the printing industry
with pc's coming in.
sadly its just part of the mad rat race of life.
its a sad fact of automation. look at robots in the car industry for example. many industrys are going thru the same.
not just drummers.
even in big recording studios, many are hurting because of the home recording revolution. look how many fine recording studios have closed their doors.
i KNOW its not right, because people get hurt.
my own father ..a brilliant electrical engr went thru the same.
lost his job in his sixties because of economic changes.
progress has many nasty negatives.
and i bet as computers become more powerfull with softsynths etc
people wont buy synths costing 2k in the future.
its already happening. so i guess decent people working in factories makeing keyboards will be impacted.
sad.....but what is the solution ??

Last edited by manning1; 04-12-2006 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:23 AM   #12
MJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokkD
nah...just the drum fills, and guess what drummerboy, you could choose not to use the 'F' key..

--
Hmmmm, I prefer to eliminate your instrument from the analog world, digitally replacing you sir.

Guess what NON-drummerboy EDIT; (,) I have a special "F" key for you RokkD that I would be more than happy to "choose' to use.

<POST EDITED BY THE MOD>
Paraphrased: I am having a rough day today, RokkD, I am your friend

MJ

Last edited by MJH; 04-12-2006 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:41 AM   #13
RokkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH
Hmmmm, I prefer to eliminate your instrument from the analog world, digitally replacing you sir.

Guess what NON-drummerboy EDIT; (,) I have a special "F" key for you RokkD that I would be more than happy to "choose' to use.
Looks like someone got out of the wrong side of his crib this morning,....hang in there...tommorow might be a better day.

Quote:
Second EDIT; RokkD do you actually even PLAY an instrument or are you simply an arranger/assembler?
Who wants to know?

Quote:
<POST EDITED BY THE MOD>
Paraphrased: I am having a rough day today, RokkD, I am your friend
<POST EDITED BY THE MOD>
Likewise, but...hey, do yourself a favor, go outside and get some fresh air.

--
Old 04-12-2006, 03:06 PM   #14
malcolmj

Personally I hope that REAPER doesn't go down the path of including auto-midi-anything. If you start to include auto-midi-pattern features it could quickly take REAPER down the band-in-a-box bloat that a lot of other programs suffer from. There's already plenty of those types of programs to choose from if you need those features, and plugins you can add to REAPER if you really want those features to be "included". I like the fact that REAPER is lean and clean.

If you're looking for drum patterns, take a quick look on Google:

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...e+Search&meta=
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:16 PM   #15
shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmj
There's already plenty of those types of programs to choose from if you need those features, and plugins you can add to REAPER if you really want those features to be "included". I like the fact that REAPER is lean and clean.
For sure. Not to mention the fact that there's one Justin and 8 million effect developers and MIDI pattern authors.
shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #16
fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmj
I like the fact that REAPER is lean and clean.
I could not agree more! I don't want to much bloat, nor do I want an everything in one box approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane
For sure. Not to mention the fact that there's one Justin and 8 million effect developers and MIDI pattern authors.
Once again, well said. It's quite easy to get on the web and find all the free midi drum patterns you could ever need.

I also have Jammer for auto stuff, just for when a customer is in a bind for time, and I need to spit something out quickly. It does a pretty good job, but usually requires a good bit of tweaking. Frankly, I can generally sequence something better manually, given the time.

Last edited by fluffy; 04-12-2006 at 03:59 PM.
fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:30 PM   #17
manning1

well guys i dont want auto everything either.
just this one feature. and i dont feel it would lead to code bloat from my coding/systems background.
if that had been the case i wouldnt have suggested it... its the only thing in midi i need. and ive talked to lots of pals of mine over the past few years who agree it would be a nice feature in any sequencer.
i'm not asking for the moon.
the logic is really not that difficult either.
really the logic is akin to a random number generator.
except here its generating random midi notes like A3 or F#4 or F3 or whatever.
ie..user clicks F (for fill on pc kbd).
and the program generates a random number of midi notes (drum notes ONLY..thus its not a lot of notes..) based on the tempo of the song. to fit in with tempo.
and the user can decide how many notes to be randomly generated.
really compared to a lot of other things done in sequencers ....
just my opinion but it shouldnt be a huge job to implement.
its something i and many others have wanted for ages.

in working with reaper all my focus is to think of nice little helpers thats all. in fact so far its the only thing i can see.
as everything else has already been done so nicely.

Last edited by manning1; 04-12-2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:19 PM   #18
Ben Zero

Quote:
well guys i dont want auto everything either.
just this one feature.
Hmmmm, well no offence Manning, but what you're asking for just isn't within the realms of the functionality of a professional DAW. Indeed, I can't think of even one DAW that does this. I suggest you go buy yourself a high street Casio keyboard or something...

Ben
Ben Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:47 PM   #19
manning1

ben...
and thats the whole point. no daw does this currently.
which i find frustrating frankly.
i'm very very seriously surprised some here are so anti this idea.
bcos it doesnt match my own survey of musicians who normally go oh my god great idea.ie..ive never had this reaction before.
maybe i'll just program it myself.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:27 PM   #20
fluffy

I think it's less that it's an intersting idea (it is interesting) than that the guys here (with notable exceptions) tend to be pretty audio-centric. Several of us are actually fairly resistant to midi at all. There are many good sequencers out there, but only a select few good DAWs. So, it's certainly not personal, or anything. I think it's a neat idea, but I highly doubt I would ever see a need for it. (I could see it in a live setting, perhaps)
Old 04-12-2006, 07:01 PM   #21
manning1

fluffy....
i'm totally audio centric as well except i like to do drums as midi....then bring in a live drummer to play over the top...
because one can get interesting engineered sound pictures and synergies between the midi and live audio drum tracks.i even record synths in real time to audio tracks. so i understand your position. but one advantage of midi tracks is less load on the pc.
one thing fluffy..if reaper had this capability
and the word got out to the world midi community...i have a feeling from my talking to musicians a lot of people would be visiting this site to get reaper.
its justins call of course. i wont mention it again....as i'm very surprised at the reaction.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:12 PM   #22
RokkD

I really don't think Justin's going to be taking Reaper down the bloat road any time soon, and Im all for that, but I just think this one little feature sounds neat.
I sometimes spend alot time making my own patterns, mixing and matching different kits, using soundfonts, Drumatic, samplers, and anything else I have laying around.
A good drum track provides inspiration for me, and can take me to places on my acoustic guitar Ive never been before...so...hey, if there's anything that can help out with that, well...then Im all ears..

But fear not, I don't think you're gonna be seeing auto fills in Reaper.

strummm...strummm..
Old 04-12-2006, 07:44 PM   #23
Art Evans
Mortal

Regardless of the merits of the suggestion, it seems to me that even at Justin's speed of development, there's a long way to go with the midi editing side of things before this kind of facility would become timely.

Until about a week ago there was no (accessible) midi editor at all in the program. It doesn't even have a scrolling cursor yet (maybe it never will). No point in thinking about the bells & whistles yet.

I'm as guilty as anyone of making suggestions, but I'd like to think that I suggest things that are a logical progression from the current release and conform to the present direction of the program's development. I mean, spectral view 'frequency space editing' would be nice but I'm not going to even think of mentioning it!
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #24
malcolmj

Quote:
ben...
and thats the whole point. no daw does this currently.
Any DAW that supports VSTi plugins can do this. Just buy something like "Jamstix" (http://www.rayzoon.com/) and you'll have all the functionality you appear to be looking for.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:59 AM   #25
manning1

its a closed issue.
ive made my case. and thats it.
it would be a pretty boring world if we all agreed....lol.