Old 04-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #1
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Default Reaper Misconceptions

Too often I see what seems to be misconceptions about reaper. I think these are caused by using eyeballs, instead of earballs to judge.

I often hear about it being a "basic" app, or a "starter app", perhaps a "low cost solution till you can afford something else"

The only justification I could see for this is the graphics themselves. Lets look at what reaper really IS. It appears to me, and others, that reaper was originally targeted towards the types of users who used a certain app: You know the one, the fastest and most powerful audio editor according to most who have actually used it. This nameless app did have some trouble in a few key areas.

They have ALREADY been adressed. At this point in its evolution, reaper is already WELL beyond the audio editing ability of its peers. It is no longer reaper vs. other editing apps, it is reaper vs reaper.

Lets look at reapers advantages already over the most powerful audio editors out there:

1: Routing) REAPER is the closest approximation of a patchbay as I've ever seen, and beyond the patchbay paradigm, each "patch cable" also has a gain and pan control. Tracks can be routed to other tracks in series or parallel with full and individual control over panning. "busses" can be routed to other "busses" in series or parallel with full and individual control of panning. A channel can be a buss or track, or folder all at the same time, and can have the advantages of each, while discarding the disadvantages of them. Sidechaining is very doable in reaper. Lets also add that channels are not locked in stereo pairs and mono routing is just as easy as stereo. BIG issue here

2: Tempo control. SHould be a no brainer, but what would seem to be the best audio editing app out there had only ONE tempo per project, reaper allows tempo changes, and tempo sync of course

3: MIDI) Yep, its still basic, but is already worlds beyond what was in many users' primary app. Fret not this will get better quickly, and in many ways thanks to the MIDIots hanging around this forum

4: DETAILS) Tiny specifics pointed out by users that can really fix up a workflow, such as reaper's ability to truly use autotune in graphical mode in context. You will find many such focused details running around under the hood

It would be helpful to stop thinking of this as a basic app, Instead, its a primer paintjob over a Blown, nitromethane, 71 Hemi Cuda. Every guage in the Autometer catalog is already on there, the lights just arent hooked up yet. Yeah, it could use a fire extinguisher and some wheelie bars, but no matter how ugly, you always look best crossing the finish line first!
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:50 AM   #2
fluffy
Human being with feelings

What a great post!

The 'Cuda analogy is very appropriate. Some of my friends condsidered my old '69 Roadrunner to be one of the ugliest body styles ever made, but that 383 would bust their balls EVERY TIME.

Consider another anolgy. A lot of people love the W1 Limiter. Betabugs did a gui for it. They make beautiful guis, but their W1 seems very buggy, for whatever reason, and I hear many people complaining about this. But they won't eve consider using the gui-less version, because they want that pretty interface. No matter that it is the same plugin! It sounds no different.

I don't want to repeat myself too much, but I could absolutely care no less if the graphics are bubblegummy, or not, so long as it does what it is supposed to, and performs well. Reaper meets both qualifications exceedingly well!
Old 04-08-2006, 07:22 PM   #3
Art Evans
Mortal

For me the chief advantages of Reaper compared with what I'm used to is the editing-related features - not just the crossfading but the degree to which crossfades can be adjusted and configured, on multiple tracks at once (only discovered that yesterday!), slid left and right, and so forth. The new implementation of overlapping items is just right. Couple that with ripple editing, correct handling of markers and envelopes during insert and delete, and it just about halves the time it takes to edit a live concert or suchlike.

I also like the fact the the midi side of the program is invisible unless you want to use it!

But I'll be realistic - I'm not about to wipe my usual editing program from the drive. It has built in tools for visualisation, analysis, effecting and processing that Reaper doesn't have, it can open and save to a far greater number of formats, its gui is much more configurable (I'm not concerned with pretty though) and it seems able to handle a significantly bigger track count. It handles lossless compressed files so it can significantly economise on drive space, which helps level the greater program cost than Reaper.

Reaper is fantastic for the things that it does well, and no way is it a "beginner's tool" - quite the opposite in some ways. And heck, it's only a few months into its development cycle. But every such program is a tool for a task - it's important not to compare a screwdriver with a hammer - though I'm am quite certain that Reaper will be in my toolbox for good, and will probably get at least as much use as anything else in there.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:51 PM   #4
pipelineaudio
Mortal

What app are you talking about? Cool Edit? That seems to be the one with a pretty awesome set of visual inspectors.

I don't think losless compressed files would be impossible in reaper, but I wouldn't give them too high of a priority right this second, but I agree, the ability to just drag and drop everything in there and have it run would be awesome.

Sooner or later the GUI and keyprefs will have to get more customizable. The keys are getting pretty whacky already! But again, these are pretty much just Bondo and glazing putty
Old 04-08-2006, 09:11 PM   #5
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
I don't think lossless compressed files would be impossible in reaper
I get the impression that they the necessary stuff is usually developed by the people providing the lossless compression utility - eg in the case of the Wavpack utility for integrating it into Cool Edit / Audition, you download it on the Wavpack site rather than the Adobe site. Actually I'll email the Wavpack author to see what he thinks. I prefer Wavpack because it provides full support for cue data, unlike (I think) some others. I don't think any of them are radically different in terms of performance.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:02 PM   #6
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I second the nomination for wavpack. Its openness is just the right thing, so that users of lesser apps can use the same files
Old 04-09-2006, 02:59 AM   #7
Art Evans
Mortal

I've now emailed David at Wavpack - we've exchanged emails in the past on various matters - and I'll feed any response back here. Basically I've drawn Reaper to his attention and asked what the usual process is for getting the necessary bits for integration into a host app in place - like, who does what and how.

(Which is not to presume that Justin would want such a thing - just exploring the mechanisms in case).

Last edited by Art Evans; 04-09-2006 at 03:04 AM.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:17 AM   #8
fluffy

By the way, I don't know much about wavpack, but I use True Audio, and it's great. It's open source and works with 32bit files (wavpack may or may not, I don't recall). True Audio also has directshow filters, so the compressed files can be played back in media player, or whatever player you use, even at 32bits.

http://www.true-audio.com/
Old 04-09-2006, 02:40 PM   #9
synth

You mean 24 bit files,not 32.There's no mention of 32-bit support in the TTA Wiki.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22279
synth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:12 PM   #10
fluffy

Actually I mean 32bit. Just compressed a 32bit file with tta about 5 minutes ago.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #11
synth

Nice
(the info in the wiki could get updated though)
Now I'd like to see support for TTA in REAPER.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22279
synth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:47 PM   #12
fluffy

Old 04-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #13
Art Evans
Mortal

But did it truncate to 24 bits when you encoded the 32 bit file? Did it decode back to 32 bits, bit-for-bit?

(You probably checked but I can't help asking).
Old 04-10-2006, 01:52 AM   #14
kejkz

I use FLAC for high quality compression, it is used in software and hardware units and it sounds and behaves flawless. Try for yourself:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

Ah yes, I used Winamp until version 2.7 or something, until they introduced video playback. Since I don't need multimedia application, I switched to now beloved Foobar2000. It is just soo good after you spend some time setting it up, there is a great forum for starters and it is highly customisable via scripting and plugins.
kejkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:29 AM   #15
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio
They have ALREADY been adressed. At this point in its evolution, reaper is already WELL beyond the audio editing ability of its peers. It is no longer reaper vs. other editing apps, it is reaper vs reaper.
Well, I won't go all that far, until I see:
1. Slide Edit Point function editing between adjacent events
2. Edge Trim Mode editing
3. Trimmer Window functionality
Do you know how many years I pushed to see those features in that other app?

These are necessities for a few of us.

After digging into Acid 6 for the past few days, I have to say that I am highly disappointed with the Shit Sony is putting out and passing it off as an official release. When I find 10 plus functional bugs in the first day of trying it out and then later find buttons that do nothing, and keyboard customizing that doesn't work as shown in the GUI options, Punch-in on the fly recording with no Punch-out on the fly, along with not being able to drag media from one track to another it makes my stomach turn. I have no faith left in the Sony apps....they should definately be fearing the Reaper at this point. Reaper is not quite there yet, but the sun light is definately coming up over the horizon.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-11-2006 at 01:36 AM.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:47 AM   #16
Art Evans
Mortal

1. Shift-drag on the crossfade bar surely?

2. Drag the edge with no modifier key - but I'm certain you mean something else!

3. Might be clear to 99% of other members - and most importantly, to Justin - but I personally don't know what you mean by that function.

I'd be interested in explanations or links to previous posts but don't bother if it's blindingly obvious to all but me!
Old 04-11-2006, 05:30 AM   #17
fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
But did it truncate to 24 bits when you encoded the 32 bit file? Did it decode back to 32 bits, bit-for-bit?

(You probably checked but I can't help asking).
Yes, 32 bit. It does not truncate.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:44 AM   #18
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll
Reaper is not quite there yet, but the sun light is definately coming up over the horizon.
It's pretty amazing how far Justin has taken REAPER in the few short months I've been aware of it. It's quite powerful right now, but I'm still using other apps for MIDI, Mastering, and Audio for Video projects. I expect I'll be able to drop my MIDI apps in favour of REAPER by v1.0, and if the current rate of development continues I'd expect to see the other features in REAPER sometime before v2.0.

It's definitely a "light coming over the horizon"!
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:16 AM   #19
funkster1

In it's actual state, I'd say Reaper is already quite powerful. It has features & options which other apps, being around a few years, still lack or implemented in such a poor fashion that it's often unuseable. Well, maybe not unuseable, but you get my point I think...
For the moment I like to use Reaper as a very fast, no frills audiorecorder. Kinda like my old Tascam
Launch it, arm your track and let go. It's actually been a while that I have recorded some guitar work on the PC, thanks to Reaper I did again, and I was very pleased.
Now if only energyXT would work within Reaper, I'd really be in heaven. And I really hope that Reaper will not get bloated by too many useless functions, as simplicity really is the key to creativity IMHO.

Cheers
Raphael
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #20
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Well, I won't go all that far, until I see:
Do you know how many years I pushed to see those features in that other app?
Can you dumb these down for me? Im not sure what they are
Old 04-11-2006, 02:33 PM   #21
RokkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkster1
already
Now if only energyXT would work within Reaper, I'd really be in heaven. And I really hope that Reaper will not get bloated by too many useless functions, as simplicity really is the key to creativity IMHO.

Cheers
Raphael
eXT works for me in Reaper, but as with all vsti's I do have to select channel 1 in the midi inputs to be able to record midi.

--
RokkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:50 PM   #22
Rednroll

Ok, this one is where you have 2 events edited together. We'll call the event to the right of the edit the "Head" and the event to the left of the edit point the "Tail".

Let's say you edit a piece of music together, say we had to shorten the length of it like removing a verse. So you cut the verse section out, then move the 2 events together so it's HEAD to TAIL with the edit split point in between them. It's always easiest to time align the edit by editing on beat 1. So on the HEAD event, you trim the media so that it plays everything prior to beat#1. Then on the TAIL event you trim the front of it right up to Beat#1. So when you place the events together you now have a timing correct edit. So for instance in media beat count in a 4/4 edit it would be HEAD=[1,2,3,4e&a] then TAIL=[1,2,3,4]. So the edit would look like this if they where events placed adjacent to each other. [1,2,3,4e&a][1,2,3,4]. So now if you're picturing this correctly that is a perfect "timing" edit. But in most cases when doing this kind of edit their might be a note that rings over from the HEAD event, and the edit causes it to be cut off abruptly and making it sound unnatural. So the media stays in place, so the timing does not change of the beats, but you "Slide" the edit point. So it might become something like [1,2,3,4e&a,1][&,2,3,4]. In Vegas you can also have both events overlapping in a crossfading manor and then just slide that edit point with the crossfade sliding with the edit point.

Place and event on a track in Vegas. Make a split point anywhere. Go to that split point and Hold the "CNTRL+ALT" keys. Now move the edit point. Notice how the media stays in place and just the edit point between them gets moved.

With this one, it's really a fine tuning editing capability. Something very useful when you are "debreathing" a voice over edit. This is you're cutting out the quick deep breath between words. So you make a Split where they took the breath. Hit the "]" in with the event to the left(HEAD) of the split point. Notice how your cursor jumps to the right EDGE of the event and the edge turns "Red". This indicates you're now in "Trim Edit mode". Now use the Numer keys "1/3" or "4/6". Notice how the media stays in place and you are little by little trimming off the edge of an event. You need that kind of detail editing when working with Voice overs, especially when "debreathing" a take. If you ever listen to a radio commercial, you'll probably notice none of the people take a breath when reading for up to 60 seconds. This is also very useful for editing music tracks.

This is also a necessity for doing Voice over editing. Usually you do 20-40 takes of recording the voice over when doing a radio commercial. You don't use any typical punch-in recording on the most part....Punch-in recording is only used some times when a Voice over is already edited previously edited together. Anyways, the normal thing is you get about 20 takes as I mention. Usually you find one take that is the best and fits in the timing allowed. (ie 55-60 seconds for radio, 25-29 for TV). So in Vegas you would just record all the takes back to back on one track continuning down the time line with each take. So now you find the one you want. The next thing that happens is that certain "words" are replaced, or a complete "sentence" within the original keeper take. So what we do in Vegas is go to the "Current Project Media Pool". This has all 20 takes and are number, where we no longer have to scroll up and down the timeline to find a take. They're all listed in the media pool. So the producer will say, "I would like to replace the word "whatever" because he slurred it a bit in keeper take. So we go to the media pool, and usually they'll say, "can you play back Take5,Take8, and Take 15? I have those marked as being good takes for that word, but I need to refresh my memory." So you playback the individual takes back to back without wasting time scrolling up and down the timeline. They say, I like the word "whatever" in Take8. So you double click that take in the media pool, and it loads in the trimmer window. You select just the word "whatever" in the trimmer window where it also gives you playback ability so you can hear your trimming edit of just that one word. Once you have that selected in the Trimmer Window, now you just drag and drop that word into the orignal take, or right click and drag it on top and select "Add as a take". So now you can eccentially select the different takes and do quick A/B/C comparison playbacks to see which take of "whatever" fits best.

So in this last part you'll see that the "current project media pool" also is an eccential part of doing this type of editing. These are the things myself and Ben are bitching and moaning about with the new Acid 6 release. Sony just cut our hands off at the wrist for some of the main editing features we use in Vegas. These are editing features found on your dedicated editors like the Neve Audiofile, and the Sadie, and SSL editors. These are really the contributions to Sony that I can be blamed for in Vegas, because I described just as I'm describing here in great details of how I did this type of workflow using a Neve Audiofile.

Frustrated and pissed off as I may be, but this is why I stick with Vegas. I said, if I was going to come here, the first thing I wanted to do was ensure Reaper got the editing power of Vegas. Well, here I am.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-11-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:17 PM   #23
ziggly

and Welcome..
ziggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:53 PM   #24
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Ok, this one is where you have 2 events edited together. We'll call the event to the right of the edit the "Head" and the event to the left of the edit point the "Tail".

Let's say you edit a piece of music together, say we had to shorten the length of it like removing a verse. So you cut the verse section out, then move the 2 events together so it's HEAD to TAIL with the edit split point in between them. It's always easiest to time align the edit by editing on beat 1. So on the HEAD event, you trim the media so that it plays everything prior to beat#1. Then on the TAIL event you trim the front of it right up to Beat#1. So when you place the events together you now have a timing correct edit. So for instance in media beat count in a 4/4 edit it would be HEAD=[1,2,3,4e&a] then TAIL=[1,2,3,4]. So the edit would look like this if they where events placed adjacent to each other. [1,2,3,4e&a][1,2,3,4]. So now if you're picturing this correctly that is a perfect "timing" edit. But in most cases when doing this kind of edit their might be a note that rings over from the HEAD event, and the edit causes it to be cut off abruptly and making it sound unnatural. So the media stays in place, so the timing does not change of the beats, but you "Slide" the edit point. So it might become something like [1,2,3,4e&a,1][&,2,3,4]. In Vegas you can also have both events overlapping in a crossfading manor and then just slide that edit point with the crossfade sliding with the edit point.

Place and event on a track in Vegas. Make a split point anywhere. Go to that split point and Hold the "CNTRL+ALT" keys. Now move the edit point. Notice how the media stays in place and just the edit point between them gets moved.

This (in a slightly different form) has been in REAPER for some time, at your request.

To do this in reaper, put the mouse over one side of the crossfade (so that the cursor shows a fade adjust symbol), hold shift, and move it.

-Justin
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #25
Rednroll

Thanks Justin!!! FYI, I did keep looking for this with each new update you released. I didn't see anything in the keyboard short-cuts which outlined this, but I kept trying different things and couldn't get it. I was specifically looking under the "Item Editing" section. Now that I have the secret decoder ring on, I'll give it another try.

Thanks again!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #26
funkster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokkD
eXT works for me in Reaper, but as with all vsti's I do have to select channel 1 in the midi inputs to be able to record midi.

--
Hey Rokk, have you managed to sync the eXT Sequencer to Reaper?
I can play single VSTi's on Ch.1 as you pointed out, but I'm lost as to how to use eXT's seq. Since Reaper's MIDI implementation is still very basic, it would be cool to use eXT instead. Also, I know that I still have to learn a ton of stuff re:eXT as it is so powerful. I confess not always knowing what I (have to) do in eXT.

Cheers
Raph
Old 04-11-2006, 06:42 PM   #27
pipelineaudio
Mortal

slide edit point is pretty nifty!

The rest of the stuff, I am trying to think of how I would use it
Old 04-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #28
RokkD

Quote:
Hey Rokk, have you managed to sync the eXT Sequencer to Reaper?
I can play single VSTi's on Ch.1 as you pointed out, but I'm lost as to how to use eXT's seq. Since Reaper's MIDI implementation is still very basic, it would be cool to use eXT instead. Also, I know that I still have to learn a ton of stuff re:eXT as it is so powerful. I confess not always knowing what I (have to) do in eXT.

Cheers
Raph
I know very little about eXT, I just have the demo, Ive played around with the sequencer a little bit, as far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be much on the audio side, I really only use it for playing 2 or 3 synths in series or parallel, and using arpps, and sfz buddy behind sfz, I have managed to do some stuff with midi but it was a bit of a struggle. It looks like a very nice program, but if it's not very strong on audio, then I don't really want to spend the time learning it..
RokkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:00 PM   #29
Rednroll

For the trimmer/media pool stuff I could think of a few uses on the musical front. I think I've heard you mention how you spend a lot of time replacing snare drum hits and such. Well instead of doing that snare editing on the timeline you could bring that snare track into the trimmer window and place your good snare hits where they belong and also enable snapping to grid that way you can use the same hit and place it at multiple locations just by draggin and dropping with the same selection active in the trimmer window. It could also be very useful for tasks like flying in background vocal parts into other sections of a song. No scrolling back and forth along the timeline to grab events.

Trim edit? Well, until you've done voice over editing where it's more about the editing and less about the mixing, I'm not quite certain how this could be useful in a music workflow. I'm sure others could give some good examples.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-11-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:55 PM   #30
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I need to read up on the trimmer
Old 04-12-2006, 06:05 AM   #31
funkster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokkD
I know very little about eXT, I just have the demo, Ive played around with the sequencer a little bit, as far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be much on the audio side, I really only use it for playing 2 or 3 synths in series or parallel, and using arpps, and sfz buddy behind sfz, I have managed to do some stuff with midi but it was a bit of a struggle. It looks like a very nice program, but if it's not very strong on audio, then I don't really want to spend the time learning it..
I use the sequencer and the other stuff only to lay down MIDI arrangements. Because eXT is so weak on the audio side, it would team up so well with Reaper...
Old 04-14-2006, 07:55 AM   #32
blitze

Nah, I'd prefer to have reaper with its own midi capabilities. Not a fan of eXT and even in its primative state, Reaper's midi is happening and shouldn't need pairing with an external program.

Been working on a track I got stuck with in Tracktion and Reaper has been playing along very nicely. Sure some more editing functionality would be nice but I'm getting VST playback capabilities neither Tracktion or Cubase SX would give me at 96/32.

I'm very happy and looking forward to further developments in Reaper.

KISS seems to be the way Reaper is being made and that with an awesomely low foot print makes it tops for me. Quite a happy camper ATM and I will see what is brought to the midi table next release before adding more feedback (hint: has to do with copying and editing midi independant of the original midi segment the copies were from and further pastes but then that could just be me with needing to look further into what Reaper already has).
blitze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:36 AM   #33
jens

Quote:
have you managed to sync the eXT Sequencer to Reaper? [...]I'm lost as to how to use eXT's seq.
from the sequencer's 'options'-menu chose:

-> 'syc-mode' -> 'external'
jens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:13 PM   #34
funkster1

Thanks for your help, but that doesn't seem to work here. I had already tried it. There are still some 'ghosts in the machine'. First I couldn't get ANY VSTi to play in the Seq. comp, as if Reaper didn't pass through the MIDI data. Now it works, but I can't get it to sync. I'm going to look for other options as well. For now I'm just toying around with Reaper anyway, working a lot with MIDI it isn't really there for me, yet.
Are you Jens from KVR btw?

Cheers
Raphael
Old 04-14-2006, 11:52 PM   #35
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio
Too often I see what seems to be misconceptions about reaper. I think these are caused by using eyeballs, instead of earballs to judge.

I often hear about it being a "basic" app, or a "starter app", perhaps a "low cost solution till you can afford something else"
There is a little bit of "eyeballs judging" going on I'm sure, as the GUI could use some improvement, but, I think everybody would agree, not at the expense of functionality development especially since the UI is useable and functional as it stands, just not as "pretty" as some others. I think Justin is doing extremely well in concentrating on features before eye candy.

That said, don't forget that Reaper was a "basic starter app" just, what, a few weeks ago? Peoples are not used to this kind of lighting fast developement, especially in the audio world where developement cycle are calculated in years, not weeks, so this acronym might stick to Reaper for a little while yet.

But, if you care about reading other forums, you will see that Reaper is starting to be talked about, and the tone is changing from what it was before so I have no doubt it will soon have the recongnition it deserve.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:02 AM   #36
jens

Quote:
Thanks for your help, but that doesn't seem to work here. I had already tried it. There are still some 'ghosts in the machine'. First I couldn't get ANY VSTi to play in the Seq. comp, as if Reaper didn't pass through the MIDI data. Now it works, but I can't get it to sync.
strange - unfortunately I can't check it myself as Reaper doesn't recongnize eXT at all on my machine...

Quote:
Are you Jens from KVR btw?
yup, that's me. :-)
jens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:22 AM   #37
ziggly

Hello and Welcome

i always wanted to dig deep in Energyxt
but could never figure out how to play
a file .wav or midi. or make any sound
whatsoever

this was over a year ago i believe
at that time the online get start manual
didnt have step by step instructions
for getting started.

anyways i gave up in frustration and promised
myself i would never tinker again with it.
however i have heard such good things
about it...Testimonials. and some people
here seem to like it. so maybe i should
take another look

tell me plz, step by step how would
i play a midi file in Ext. using the
Ext stand alone version.
there is such a standalone version right?

plz spell it out, that is, the basic steps
i wont be offended in fact the more simple
the better.i have the mind of a child

Ziggly

ziggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:00 AM   #38
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshark
But, if you care about reading other forums, you will see that Reaper is starting to be talked about, and the tone is changing from what it was before so I have no doubt it will soon have the recongnition it deserve.
Yeah, I browsed on over to the KVR forum this last couple of weeks, and I noticed Reaper had more discussions of interest going on with it than the new Acid 6 release.

For some reason I have a feeling that Justin is just concentrating more on the functionality of things, where near the end he's going to amaze us all with a cool looking customizeable/skinable GUI with all the bells and whistles for easy sight navigation.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-15-2006 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:59 PM   #39
funkster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggly
Hello and Welcome,

...tell me plz, step by step how would
i play a midi file in Ext. using the
Ext stand alone version.
there is such a standalone version right?

plz spell it out, that is, the basic steps
i wont be offended in fact the more simple
the better.i have the mind of a child

Ziggly

Hi Ziggly,
in Standalone for instance, given the fact you have properly configured your I/O's (audio & MIDI), create a Sequencer comp, connect it to your audio output then double-click to open it.
Now in the upper left under 'File' choose 'Import MIDI file' et voilà, MIDI track(s) will be created automatically, according to the MIDI file (Type 0 or 1). Now you can assign 1 or several VSTi's to your MIDI tracks. Right-click the MIDI track 'Output->Add->Your VST folder->Your VSTi'.

Regards
Raphael
Old 04-15-2006, 01:49 PM   #40
ziggly

Default Yay sound!!

Done and Done

much Thx Raphael
Ziggly

Ps.
I will edit this post in one sec..