Old 09-01-2019, 09:07 AM   #1
mabian

Default v5.983+dev0901 - September 1 2019

v5.983+dev0901 - September 1 2019
  • + Defaults: enable Live FX multiprocessing
  • + Defaults: enable track record monitoring on new tracks
  • + Menus: a very light refresh of the main file/edit/view/insert menus
  • + Multiprocessing: auto-detect up to 128 threads
  • + Multiprocessing: increase anticipative FX hard limit to 128 threads, live FX hard limit to 64 threads
  • + Multiprocessing: remove old 4.x scheduler mode
  • + Multiprocessing: remove old option to not use native synchronization events
  • + Sliders: improve ReaPlugs/UI slider appearance on hidpi and linux
  • + Video: fix render configuration from API [t=224539]
  • + Wet/dry knobs: improve drawing at different DPI settings
  • + Wet/dry knobs: improve mouse-up and doubleclick behavior
  • + Wet/dry knobs: macOS retina support
  • # MIDI editor: add actions to change default CC curve shape
  • # MIDI editor: only interpolate 14-bit values if original data is 14-bit
  • # MIDI editor: preserve CC curve shape when copy/pasting
  • # Theme: add transport_knob_bg_small/transport_knob_bg_large theme images
  • # Windows: reduce TCP resize flicker
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #2
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
# MIDI editor: only interpolate 14-bit values if original data is 14-bit
Please don't send out out duplicate CC values during interpolation. It is very important for sending MIDI to external hardware, many old synths from 80s don't deal well with thick data streams. An interpolated event should only be sent if its value is different from the last interpolated event.

This ain't nice, plus it serves no purpose.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 09-01-2019 at 12:27 PM.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:06 PM   #3
SmajjL

Quote:
v5.983+dev0901 - September 1 2019 (Sunday)
  • + Wet/dry knobs: improve drawing at different DPI settings

All good on Windows10 @ 125% scale! and that rabbit now has to poop on someone elses DAW..
Looks good on Linux also, and the fader BG seems to be as it should now also, but if using Jack Winter's dark grey libSwell.colortheme https://stash.reaper.fm/v/30510/libSwell.colortheme then some might wanna borrow D4's BG image, matter of taste, all goody now, thanks you! devs!

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-01-2019 at 06:10 PM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:52 PM   #4
PitchSlap

Quote:
v5.983+dev0901 - September 1 2019
  • + Multiprocessing: auto-detect up to 128 threads
  • + Multiprocessing: increase anticipative FX hard limit to 128 threads, live FX hard limit to 64 threads
This should be useful for Threadripper users.

Curious if Reaper will automatically take advantage in Windows 10 scheduling improvements for Ryzen 3000 CPUs?

Quote:
The combination of Windows 10's new Ryzen-aware scheduler and AMD's chipset drivers allow the operating system to schedule single-threaded tasks into the fastest cores (thread pinning). AMD has previously disclosed the Windows 10 scheduler and the CPCC2 feature, but not that the combined features assign threads to the fastest cores. This functionality requires the latest version of Windows 10.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...ysis,6253.html
Old 09-01-2019, 10:27 PM   #5
AndreiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
This should be useful for Threadripper users.

Curious if Reaper will automatically take advantage in Windows 10 scheduling improvements for Ryzen 3000 CPUs?

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...ysis,6253.html
I have a Ryzen 7 3700X. How can we test if REAPER can take advantage from Windows 10 scheduling?
AndreiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #6
puddi

Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like the Main window play cursor moves considerably smoother in these recent pre-releases. I don't know if that's a side-effect from some other graphical fix but hopefully the MIDI Editor play cursor can get the same treatment.
puddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:15 AM   #7
Anton9

Default Quick question for the Devs

Devs,

Just wondering if you guys would entertain the idea of allowing REAPER's various child windows and plugin windows to take advantage of Win10's built in virtual desktops? It would be so awesome to be able to place plugins on different desktops.

Cheers
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:35 AM   #8
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Please don't send out out duplicate CC values during interpolation. It is very important for sending MIDI to external hardware, many old synths from 80s don't deal well with thick data streams. An interpolated event should only be sent if its value is different from the last interpolated event.

This ain't nice, plus it serves no purpose.

And not only with old hardware synths, I think. Big pseudo-orchestral projects suffer,as the number of tracks grow, from such data clutter. It´s definitely necessary to solve the duplication for Reaper to work well with heavy MIDI demands.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:00 AM   #9
strachupl

# Windows: reduce TCP resize flicker
Yes, thanks.

I have to ask or report. Is WALTER "track_selected" suppose to work in that version?
I ask because it is next dev build where selected track doesn't update depend on that command.

Text color should updated brighter when track is selected.
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:02 AM   #10
Soli Deo Gloria

I´ve just had a horrible crash with this pre in a project which uses 9 instances of Bidule as a plugin (which, by the way, never presented such a problem). When I tried to manually save the project, it told me that Bidule had a serious problem when trying to save - or something like that - and then, after a while it crashed. Now, when opening the same project, Bidule has reset its configuration (!). This is very serious for me, since I do most of the complicated MIDI processing with Bidule. Since we´ve had this multiprocessing tweaks, I suppose this could be related somehow, given that Bidule as a plugin is, nevertheless, a host in its own right.

What can I do to help find out the cause? I can´t find the crash log and don´t know if any other thing would serve...

Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 09-02-2019 at 05:09 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:34 AM   #11
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strachupl View Post
# Windows: reduce TCP resize flicker
Yes, thanks.

I have to ask or report. Is WALTER "track_selected" suppose to work in that version?
I ask because it is next dev build where selected track doesn't update depend on that command.

Text color should updated brighter when track is selected.
Ah yeah, the mixer layouts aren't getting updated in various places, fixing!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:53 AM   #12
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
I´ve just had a horrible crash with this pre in a project which uses 9 instances of Bidule as a plugin (which, by the way, never presented such a problem). When I tried to manually save the project, it told me that Bidule had a serious problem when trying to save - or something like that - and then, after a while it crashed. Now, when opening the same project, Bidule has reset its configuration (!). This is very serious for me, since I do most of the complicated MIDI processing with Bidule. Since we´ve had this multiprocessing tweaks, I suppose this could be related somehow, given that Bidule as a plugin is, nevertheless, a host in its own right.

What can I do to help find out the cause? I can´t find the crash log and don´t know if any other thing would serve...

Thanks so much in advance!
Might be worth asking Plogue this as that seems to be their error message... The multiprocessing tweaks here only affect systems with more than 32 cores/threads, so probably unrelated unless you have more than 32 cores/threads...
Old 09-02-2019, 06:00 AM   #13
Soli Deo Gloria

Fine, Justin, then I´ll report it directly to them. Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-02-2019, 10:09 AM   #14
ferropop

Incosistency with the new MIDI Editor CC curves -- when using Alt-Drag to control Bezier tension it seems to work differently when compared to the same action in the Arrange View.

In arrange view, Alt-DragUp/Down is what moves the curve. In Midi Editor the same task is Alt-DragLeft/Right.

Last edited by ferropop; 09-02-2019 at 10:18 AM.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #15
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Incosistency with the new MIDI Editor CC curves -- when using Alt-Drag to control Bezier tension it seems to work differently when compared to the same action in the Arrange View.

In arrange view, Alt-DragUp/Down is what moves the curve. In Midi Editor the same task is Alt-DragLeft/Right.
Actually, alt+drag and doing left-right in envelope lanes gives the same result as moving up-down. So there's half compatibility in CC curves, they produce the same result when moving L-R, but not U-D.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:08 PM   #16
zookthespook

Love the CC lane curves !!
I had two observations.

1. There could be a delay\hold when changing the tool with modifier \area context
Right now , when i take the mouse close to the curve to modify it's bend, the cursor dances furiously between normal,erase and the double arrow tool !

2. I may have done something wrong or this could be a possible bug, When gluing two items[ i presume these are pooled] , the automation curve had three points, after gluing there were about 30 .

attaching a gif .

[img] https://imgur.com/J4cZqL0 [/img]
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:41 PM   #17
juliansader

Could the MIDI_Get/SetAllEvts functions be updated to accommodate the CC curves?

As discussed in earlier threads, the shape can be stored in the flags byte, and the Bézier tension in extra "d" or "f" bytes within the message, after the main two or three message bytes. The MIDI string can therefore still be unpacked by "i4Bs4", but the "s4" message will consist of "BBBd".
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:02 AM   #18
dangguidan

The new MIDI CC writing method, after exporting MIDI, observing MIDI CC in other DAW, will see that the data is confused.
Even if MIDI is imported back to reaper, it is also some confusing data, even data overflow.
There seems to be a lot of Bugs to deal with.

Last edited by dangguidan; 03-18-2020 at 11:43 PM.
dangguidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:02 AM   #19
EvilDragon

I wonder if playback interpolation setting also affects how MIDI files are exported...

But yes, there are obvious issues at hand there.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:30 AM   #20
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
Bugs in 5.983+dev0901 in comparison to 5.983:

1. looks like "meter_bg_mcp_master.png" is always on top in +dev version, seems like "front" command have no effect on it anymore.

2. not sure why, meter has some lines around it, maybe the same problem as 1). https://stash.reaper.fm/36983/Untitled.png

3. (probably "recarm" condition in WALTER) doesn't update layout. record buttons should show up, but they don't, until i resize track.
Hmm 3 will be fixed. for 1/2, what theme are you using?

Previously "front master.mcp.meter" would not affect meter_bg_mcp_master.png, but now it does. Is it possible you're using that?
Old 09-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #21
Neutronic

Regarding CC envelopes: can we get a "Reset selected points to zero/center" double click action, similarly to what we have for arrange envelopes?
This would be very handy, especially with bipolar parameters. Thanks!

Neutronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:33 AM   #22
puddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutronic View Post
Regarding CC envelopes: can we get a "Reset selected points to zero/center" double click action, similarly to what we have for arrange envelopes?
+1000
puddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #23
Klangfarben

Quote:
+1 as well
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #24
srdmusic

Quote:
That would be rad!!! +1
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #25
Thonex

Quote:
+1 here too
Old 09-03-2019, 05:26 PM   #26
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiT View Post
I have a Ryzen 7 3700X. How can we test if REAPER can take advantage from Windows 10 scheduling?
I'm not really sure aside from testing with both versions of Windows.

Another possibility could to set up the same CPU intensive chain on multiple tracks and then add an additional plugin to one track, check the CPU load, remove the new plugin, put it on another track etc.

You could also try having a few tracks with the same plugins and see if the performance is the same as each track is selected and record enabled.

Ideally the performance would be consistent because as each track becomes the most intensive CPU thread it would be reassigned to the fastest CPU-core.

I actually know very little about the technical details so these test concepts are likely flawed. ScanProAudio tests CPUs using Reaper so would be in a better position to test these things.

Reaper has the best multiprocessor utilization, but that could be because the devs are working around what Windows does by default which is why I pointed out the issue with the new AMD CPUs in case compatibility/performance could be improved.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 09-03-2019 at 05:45 PM.
PitchSlap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:02 AM   #27
strachupl

I don't know if it is related exacly to this build but I think so.
ReaEQ have strange background/coloring that looks like this on win7:

Last edited by strachupl; 09-18-2019 at 05:36 AM. Reason: wrong image link
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote