Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 04-18-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
capnlukeron
Human being with feelings

Default Not working under OS X Lion with Zoom R16

Hi all, Ive tried for the last few days to get Reaper working with OS X Lion and a Zoom R16 sound interface. The playback is jittery, on and off and obviously broken.

Ive got the latest Zoom R16 driver. This fixes a previous problem with Lion. All other audio software (so far) such as basics ie iTunes, VLC, and GarageBand, all work fine with this driver. Reaper is the only thing that doesnt work.

Previous versions of Reaper have the same problem, from 3.x all the way to the latest v4.

Ive tried fiddling with the audio buffer size in settings. I cant find a latency setting, but I believe this is supposed to be working fine. Reaper also used to work fine with Snow Leopard and the Zoom R16, but this particular combination doesnt.

Can anyone help with this issue? Otherwise I'll be forced to use a different sequencer, cos I cant go back from Lion .. not now ..

Thanks, Luke
capnlukeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
capnlukeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3onlane View Post

what is its problem??
On playback, the sound is chopped up into bits - thats about the best way I can describe it. It goes on and off quickly. Its a bit like the latency is really bad, except latency is supposed to be auto. Its a brand new top-spec MacBook Pro and previously under Snow Leopard, it ran it all very easily. No other audio programs have this problem, its just Reaper. And Im not even trying any plugins etc - just simple playback of one wav. Any ideas?

Last edited by Ollie; 04-19-2012 at 07:36 PM. Reason: removed spam link quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:33 AM   #3
dfackler

Do you have a sample rate mismatch?
dfackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
capnlukeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfackler View Post
Do you have a sample rate mismatch?
I dont have a way of setting the sample rate on the device. Its all done automatically. Whether Im on 16-bit or 24-bit, or whichever sample rate, it jitters in the same way.

Ive now got the same audio device working for Abletone Live, Garage Band, and all normal Mac stuff like Chrome and iTunes. Its just not working for Reaper.

Looks like its the software itself.. will try and report it.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnlukeron View Post
I dont have a way of setting the sample rate on the device. Its all done automatically.
Another app can switch your device to a different samplerate and block size if you don't set this in Preferences, or it could simply use inappropriate default values on its own. You need to request both a specific sample rate and block size in Preferences->Audio->Device in order to send these values to the audio device. The setting should match what you're generally using on your audio interface with other audio apps.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
capnlukeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Another app can switch your device to a different samplerate and block size if you don't set this in Preferences, or it could simply use inappropriate default values on its own. You need to request both a specific sample rate and block size in Preferences->Audio->Device in order to send these values to the audio device. The setting should match what you're generally using on your audio interface with other audio apps.
Hey I got it working! I set the block size to 512 - it was set to 4096. I got the 512 size from Ableton Live settings. It seems to have fixed the issue. Big thanks Im dead happy!

Luke
Old 04-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Glad you got it working!
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
dfackler

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnlukeron View Post
... it was set to 4096...
The default block seems to be 512. I wonder where the 4096 came from...
dfackler is offline   Reply With Quote