Old 04-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #121
hopi
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
What do you think the right solution is? If a theme had 32x32 buttons, they were getting squashed and made to not look right. If a user wanted to have a special arrangement where some buttons are bigger than others, they couldn't. Respecting the native image size fixes both of those problems.
yeah gosh... I don't know ... I will just go look and see what I have to do with my existing icons to comply with the new rules...

see, I don't know enough about what it takes code-wise to let it be optionally both ways.... maybe that is impossible...

I know that for me, the previous way of reaper handling pngs that were not sized to it's constraints was really great... It meant that I could work at larger sizes and see how they looked and then just reduce them to even dbl the prescribed png size and they would retain more detail...

so OK... now IF I get it right, a png has to be in 30x30 pixels size... so for a 3 panel png that would be 90 by 30 right?
Old 04-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #122
gwok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Hi,
Im thinking u have a mac issue..xp32 here, or the mac equivilent of ur Reaper.ini needs to be rebuilt.I had slow undos and general sluggishness starting somewhere in the v4alpha cycle.but now undos are IMHO faster than ever in 66b.Rename ur AppData Folder..or whatever its called on mac....and see if this helps.btw this is with 64 or so track in a project that uses 1.2 gig.Hope this helps ...

Guido
no improvement with a new ini, tx
Old 04-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #123
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
yeah gosh... I don't know ... I will just go look and see what I have to do with my existing icons to comply with the new rules...

see, I don't know enough about what it takes code-wise to let it be optionally both ways.... maybe that is impossible...

I know that for me, the previous way of reaper handling pngs that were not sized to it's constraints was really great... It meant that I could work at larger sizes and see how they looked and then just reduce them to even dbl the prescribed png size and they would retain more detail...

so OK... now IF I get it right, a png has to be in 30x30 pixels size... so for a 3 panel png that would be 90 by 30 right?
That's right. Just resize all your images to 90 by 30 instead of making Reaper do it for you and you're in business. It's better this way because you can still have it your way by resizing them yourself, and if you want different sized buttons now you can easily have them.
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #124
musicbynumbers

just deleted and re-installed all of reaper (and re-imported my config).

I'm hoping that will get rid of my initial load of reaper being really slow

Do you think the fact I re-imported my config will counter act the fact that everybody else just deleted theirs and I guess started again?

Also, re did toolbars and I love the new way they are done, with double width but might as well make it a drop down box and have options for double width horizontal, square and double width vertical too
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #125
musicbynumbers

Default track icon bug: after re-install can no longer see half the files

I found before that win 7 could set the track icon folder (upon loading/importing a track icon) to "all types" instead of just .ico or .jpg

This has caused all my old songs to no longer find the track icons even though they are there. Just in a different format.

Any idea how to get the "open" explorer window to see all types again?

Could this be changed?
Old 04-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #126
musicbynumbers

Default track icons/arrange page images and reapeaks..

PLEASE can we have the option to save icons in a folder within the project so that not only can other people have access to them when sharing songs but so they never get lost again. They don't take up much memory compared toeven one audio file

Also, Reapeaks, Need not only a folder for this (in the project alongside audio folder) but also to have any files auditioned that are NOT in the project folder store their peaks within the temp folder.

This way we can have no mess around sample libraries or the projects audio folder but still have peaks ready to be read from on a new load of the project.

thanks.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #127
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
PLEASE can we have the option to save icons in a folder within the project so that not only can other people have access to them when sharing songs but so they never get lost again. They don't take up much memory compared toeven one audio file

Also, Reapeaks, Need not only a folder for this (in the project alongside audio folder) but also to have any files auditioned that are NOT in the project folder store their peaks within the temp folder.

This way we can have no mess around sample libraries or the projects audio folder but still have peaks ready to be read from on a new load of the project.

thanks.
Good thinking. +1
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #128
bblue

Quote:

Wouldn't you already be accomplishing that by having one common folder for all Reapeaks as we have now?

A long time ago I was of the mind that Reapeaks for or related to a session should be with that session. But now I no longer think that. There's nothing that we do with them that warrants unique preservation that I can think of. They're just a Reaper performance aid which we can do without, or automatically rebuild if necessary.

I'd still really like to see *bak and *UNDO in a unique session directory by themselves, but that's a different thing altogether.

--Bill
bblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #129
musicbynumbers

I might try having reaper rebuild them each time then and see how much of a pain it is

If it's not too bad I'll keep it like that but quite a few daws have a peak file like folder and it does speed up big project loads.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #130
bblue

Quote:
I might try having reaper rebuild them each time then and see how much of a pain it is

If it's not too bad I'll keep it like that but quite a few daws have a peak file like folder and it does speed up big project loads.
Oh, I didn't mean having Reaper rebuild them each time, only that it could if they went missing or you moved to another DAW with that session.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but when you use a system-common Reapeaks directory (Prefs->Media->Store all peak caches in alternate path, and Prefs->Paths->Alternate waveform peak cache path), everything you open in Reaper has its reapeaks stored there. So you wouldn't need to be concerned about sampling in the media manager (or equiv), since the reapeaks would be in a common place regardless of where the file was opened. No need to rebuild or move peak files.

Am I all wet?

--Bill
bblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #131
hopi

Schwa...[and Adam] OK thanks for the previous replies... I think I have resolved my theme problem with icons not being happy with the newest rules and ways of 66a-b...

all I can right now is thank heaven for Photoshop actions.. hahaha

that made the resize and resave reasonable... and it basically looks 'ok'....

I do notice a strangeness still...

Like in say a FTB that is loaded with icons when the full length of the screen and is docked at top of tcp... IF I shrink the width of the tcp so the icons kick into a second row... I see just the tips of that lower row below the fully visible upper row... I would expect to not see anything???

In the case of the tcp main toolbar, I can drag it vertically to show two or three rows of icons... but this is still not the case for the FTB's... I wish it was the case. So that in the more narrow widths of the tcp, with FTB docked at top.. when there are two rows of icons they would be visible... right?

Possible to do that, or no???
Old 04-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #132
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicroom View Post
I love the new sizes for the toolbar icons.

I'm trying to find out if I can easily move toolbar actions from one toolbar to another without starting over. ??

I have too many on my favorite custom toolbar in the smaller size.

DM
you can make a copy of the text file and do a rename at the top so it becomes another floating tb... and then edit out or in what you want...
Old 04-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #133
musicbynumbers

no your right, I did try this once but I think U ran into a problem, will try again though

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblue View Post
Oh, I didn't mean having Reaper rebuild them each time, only that it could if they went missing or you moved to another DAW with that session.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but when you use a system-common Reapeaks directory (Prefs->Media->Store all peak caches in alternate path, and Prefs->Paths->Alternate waveform peak cache path), everything you open in Reaper has its reapeaks stored there. So you wouldn't need to be concerned about sampling in the media manager (or equiv), since the reapeaks would be in a common place regardless of where the file was opened. No need to rebuild or move peak files.

Am I all wet?

--Bill
Old 04-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #134
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Good thinking. +1
Really need something for this as all my tracks now need showing where the track icons are and then need saving again.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #135
musicbynumbers

Default video playback: did you do anything this alpha? :)

Regarding the memory leak, not sure if it's because I reset reaper or it's the new alpha but my video files now eat memory much slower BUT I seem to get a lot of RAM eaten on initial load now instead.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #136
Kundalinguist

Default Lag w/Screenset Saving

When I save a screenset in A66b (on WinXP) it takes a long time to process the command.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:19 AM   #137
blitze

Default Runing fine here

Just put together a String Ensemble Accompaniment for a Bach Aria I'm singing from a scan to midi and had no real issues aside from not being able to set tempo markers time signatures properly.
blitze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:49 AM   #138
Coachz

Thanks for fixing the toolbar docker !!! yay
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:54 AM   #139
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
When I save a screenset in A66b (on WinXP) it takes a long time to process the command.
Same here, Win7 x64 on Reaper x86.

Two seconds or more. Must take time to collect data like that. Maybe Windows has the efficiency of the company Dilbert works for in these matters.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #140
hopi

Default midi filter again

Hate to be a pest but I guess it's my fate:

OK so yer not gonna give us the filter docked in the editor right now... seems a pity but oh well...

How about the other part of the request[s] where selecting the active item can be done by simple left clk on it's name not just by the color square? And then a rt clk on the name lets you edit the item or trak name? It really really does seem to be an intuitive thing to me and a few others. Please?
Old 04-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #141
hopi

Default what are they?

I see in the portable installs something I never used to see.

almost every item in the folder now also has what looks like a windows short cut with it that has the same file name with an extension of .virtual added at the end.

Is this reapers doing or is it something I have done on just my system??? wtf IS it????
Old 04-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #142
Kundalinguist

Default renaming toolbar "issue"

OSX PPC 66b
When I changed the name of the toolbar from its default to a custom name, the name didn't update until I removed that particular toolbar and then reinstated it again. However, the name changed took affect in the list but not upon save in the GUI until said process...

(did that make sense?)
Old 04-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #143
PitchSlap

Default v4.0alpha66c is up!

v4.0alpha66c - April 22 2011
+ OSX: improved VoiceOver support
+ OSX: initial window focus tweaks
+ MIDI export: automatically fill in project track names (unless track name events exist) for Type 1 export
+ MIDI editor: fixed drawing notes right-to-left
+ Grid navigation: actions now work properly with snap to sample
+ Render queue: fixed behavior when using $project wildcard
+ Topmost pins: disable "Always on top" on main window when using topmost pins

--------------

An observation regarding the rendering queue, I often with have a queue for different renders of the same project and Reaper closes the project each time and re-opens it when this is unnecessary and could cause problems with sample libraries not having enough time to load...
Old 04-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #144
gpunk_w

How do you add a double wide icon to a toolbar ?
Nevermind you just draw the icon twice as big

Last edited by gpunk_w; 04-22-2011 at 04:22 PM.
gpunk_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:16 PM   #145
hopi

make a text icon and you'll see the chk box to make it db wide
Old 04-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #146
moliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
An observation regarding the rendering queue, I often with have a queue for different renders of the same project and Reaper closes the project each time and re-opens it when this is unnecessary and could cause problems with sample libraries not having enough time to load...
From an implementation point of view, the Render Queue works by saving timestamped versions of the project when queued, so I imagine it would be quite a major change to create a 'difference' project file so it could save on load times if a previous version of the project happened to have been added to the queue.

I think the full separation is really necessary without going into a very complex procedure.
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #147
musicbynumbers

Default + (66a) Project Bay: various optimizations, bugfixes and memory leak fixes

removing a item group still leaves an empty group folder there and no way to remove a single item from a folder yet in the media or source tab.