Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-14-2019, 02:29 AM   #1
ampetrosillo
Human being with feelings

Default Jesusonic plugin/script not working as intended

I'll simply copypaste the report I wrote in its dedicated thread.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=30

Bumping this thread once again!

I'm having trouble with [Till's Automated Phase Alignment] script (RC2 version). It works well on the tracks I put it on at first, but if I copy those tracks the plugin stops working as expected. Time compensation resets to zero and learning again results in -512.0 delay regardless of track content. This is extremely inconvenient because it means that I have to work on the original tracks once and then set another plugin with the desired time compensation for each track. I'm tracking guitars with 6 different microphones (totally overkill but then again I do have those mics and channels on my interface, so why not?) so the fact that it doesn't work as it should is a severe setback for me. I'm running Reaper v.5983, the 64-bit version. I've tried opening older projects and they work perfectly (the script does not reset, it keeps its settings across copies, etc.) so I'm guessing there must be a regression in Reaper itself.
ampetrosillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:03 AM   #2
ampetrosillo

To reproduce the bug:

1. Create two tracks and place them in a folder (I haven't tried with regular independent tracks)
2. Record some material (I suppose you could simply use the same item across the two tracks, and shifting one by a few samples, I'm recording two different signals with two different mics on the same source)
3. Redirect the output of one of the tracks to channel 3 of the other
4. Load Till's Automatic Phase Compensation plugin on the track receiving signal on channel 3
5. Set the plugin to learn
6. Play the two tracks. The plugin will then apply a delay (either positive or negative) to the track
7. Copy the two tracks and paste them
8. Open the plugin: you'll notice that the delay has reset to 0
9. Learn again. The plugin will set the delay to -512.0 samples
10. Reloading the plugin has no effect

The only way to make it all work again is if you reroute the first copied track to the second copied track deleting the previous send, and possibly reloading the plugin (I'm not sure).
Old 10-14-2019, 11:37 AM   #3
Fabian

I just tried this, and yes, I can confirm it.

And the bug is that the copy of the receiving track does not receive anything on channel 3. If you set the copied receiving track to have 4 track channels, it works.

The bug seems to be in Reaper that when I do a mono send from one track to another, selecting "New channels on receiving track" and I select the mono channel 3, then the receiving track is not set up correctly to have 4 track channels. In fact, the track channels is blank:

If you manually set up the receiving track to have 4 track channels, then the copying of the tracks works as it should.

This is a Reaper bug, I would say.

EDIT: I think this is better posted as a new bug report, with a more descriptive title.

Last edited by Fabian; 10-14-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #4
Fabian

Just a note:
Till's tip in the comment section of the plugin:

Code:
// TIPP: if after learning the adjustment goes straight to minus the maximum adjustment
// this strongly points towards the signal or the director being mute.
put me on the right track.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:44 PM   #5
ampetrosillo

So after a break I've gone back to mixing my band's music, and I noticed that, even though the Automatic Phase Alignment plugin does work fine once you set the director output to channels 3+4, for some reason it does not save the time adjustment setting, which means that it must re-learn the time difference for each track (unworkable). All other plugins save state just fine. My older projects which used this plugin worked just fine. Reaper ver. 5.91 works just fine with that tool. I'm guessing there must have been a regression since that version. The workaround is to use the Time Adjustment Delay and set it to the value the Automatic Phase Alignment plugin outputs, but that's really tedious and since I know that the plugin *did* work great in the past, I'm supposing that there must be a fix.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:17 AM   #6
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampetrosillo View Post
<snip>
The workaround is to use the Time Adjustment Delay and set it to the value the Automatic Phase Alignment plugin outputs, but that's really tedious and since I know that the plugin *did* work great in the past, I'm supposing that there must be a fix.
You do not need any extra plugin. Just nudge the item the number of samples that is calculated by Till's plugin.