COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > NINJAM Discussion > NINJAM User Discussion

Old 02-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
The_AF
Human being with feelings

Default Possible to Route Remote Channels to tracks in Repear?

I was wonder if this is possible? I tried looking at the Routing window for the ReaNinJam track and the only sends that are available are the tracks that are already being assigned to ReaNinJam. I can't see any send channels for the Remote Channels.

I'd like to be able to add effects to someone else's tracks.

Has anyone achieved this?

Thanks
The_AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
pljones

You can do this offline, working on the project from the clipsort.log file, if you're saving your jam sessions.

The audio out from ReaNINJAM is a single stereo pair. It can't really be anything else - as people joined and left the number of channels would keep changing and the routing would get completely messed up.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
The_AF

I appreciate the response pljones.

Although I'm not sure that makes sense to me. If it's a stereo pair, how are you able to mute and change levels of individual remote channels? Is that done on the server? From what I've heard, the more channels there are, the more bandwidth that is required for everyone. If it's a stereo pair, then doesn't the argument that only being able to have 2 channels going up to the server (XMIT) in order to conserve bandwidth not hold?

Maybe I'm not clear on that.

Plus, when you import a clipsort.lof as a project, you get the independent tracks there too.

BTW I'm not worried about the post jam mixes - that I already know how to add effects to. I'm just concerned with being able to add my own effects to the remote channels.

Thanks again.
The_AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
pljones

The output from ReaNINJAM is stereo.

ReaNINJAM itself has its own mixer, in which you can mute and adjust channel levels, which affect the the plugin output levels (just like the controls on any plugin can affect what it outputs).

ReaNINJAM's clipsort.log plus saved files saves the unprocessed audio, however.

You have to bear in mind two separate parts: the plugin and the host. It's not a single piece of software doing one thing. It's two separate entities, each doing their own thing, connected via VST.

ReaNINJAM is responsible for sending your audio - exactly as it arrives at the plugin input, before the built-in mixer - to the server. It's also responsible for receiving audio from the server, one stream for each of the other clients and, if requested, saving the unprocessed audio to disk. Then it then mixes the streams based on the mixer settings in the UI, including your local stream and the click track, to audio out.

Reaper is responsible for getting audio to ReaNINJAM however it likes (be it from an external audio source, external MIDI triggering a synth/sampler or otherwise) and then taking the stereo out from ReaNINJAM and doing whatever it likes with it. (As it's recommended to have ReaNINJAM on your Master bus, there shouldn't be much else happening in Reaper after ReaNINJAM.)

Personally, I think the UI layout in ReaNINJAM is one of it's weak points: it doesn't communicate the workflow particularly well, leading to confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AF View Post
BTW I'm not worried about the post jam mixes - that I already know how to add effects to. I'm just concerned with being able to add my own effects to the remote channels.
I would strongly recommend against making your experience of the jam something that is not shared by others. You will find it much harder to be part of what's going on.

Last edited by pljones; 02-09-2012 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Replying to main point!
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote