Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 08-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
pattste
Human being with feelings

Default VU meter / fader settings for various themes

This may be a stupid question but how do you figure out the required VU meter and fader settings in the Preferences for a theme? I'm trying different themes just for fun and can't always get the fader to match the levels indicated on the meters.

I have Reaborn2 figured out (meter min value -48dB, max value 3dB, volume fader range -72 to +8dB).

However, I can't figure out the values for Analog Default and the Vidalsh Reaborn Green mod, for instance.

Can anyone explain?
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
Marek

Here are potential issues:
1. Position and size of meter and fader backgrounds can be different.
2. Pink lines in mcp_volthumb.png determine how far the fader can go.
3. Faders can have different size in different themes which also determines how far it can go.
3. I think the scale curves are different for fader and meter.
4. Stretchable faders and meters make the whole matching thing even less possible.
5. ... ( Probably something which I'm not aware of yet ) ...
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
lerian

You can also set the parameters in prefferences > vu meters/faders, but I was too thinking about this, and to keep the stretching option I believe they must be somehow hard coded into reaper or walter with an option for repeat based on something like pink lines. Then, themers could keep the stretching and also define how meters will behave based on the actual db value. As a visual refference, in the Analog Default 2 beta, yellow starts at around -18db depending on the stretching (measured it myself).
lerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Snap

The old days were easier. The faders were 100 mm long and zero was always at 3/4; 75 mm. While meters, well, not the neddle ones, had the zero always located halfway. I learnt the business on analog consoles and still keep working on them 15 to 20 days per month. I always hated the DAW's faders and meters for that. All of them. The old way you can read faders and meters in a glimpse in very dimmed light without the need of scales.

One of the features I loved most the first time I jumped into Reaper were the extensible channels. In my default and the Rado theme days I always set the faders 100 mm long. Yes, I actually measured them on the screen and set a default template like this. Then switched to Imperial, and though I love it so much, got used to it and basically I don't use anything else, I miss my 100 mm faders every day.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote