Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 06-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #121
powerfuran
Human being with feelings

aaaaand BUMP.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #122
Lowell Mather 5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
#1 is a big, big no-no. Doing this will just get you a guitar sound that's louder but still sitting smack in the middle of the stereo spectrum. It's the tiny differences between each take that makes double-tracking sound the way it does.

#2 is the most common, though #3 gets used a lot too. For an even bigger sound, you can combine them - two takes with Sound A, panned left and right, and then two MORE takes with Sound B, generally panned a little to the inside of the first two.

Obviously the more takes, the tighter your playing will need to be, but when done properly this can get your guitars to sound like Freddy Mercury's big vocal choirs.
How would #1 be sitting in the middle of the stereo spectrum, unless you pan them to C, especially if you put reverb on one side or harmonizer, etc.?
Lowell Mather 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #123
Lokasenna

If you have two identical signals panned to the left and right, it works out to the same thing as having one signal panned in the middle - center panning is just having the same level on both speakers.

Now, as you say, adding different effects to each of them will start to thicken things up a bit. One thing to be aware of is that, depending on what effects you're using, you might find that the two signals start getting out of phase and cancelling each other out. If someone's listening on a bad stereo, or in a bad room, or in a mall that doesn't care about stereo, your guitars might disappear altogether.

It *can* be done, but it's rarely the best approach.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #124
Lowell Mather 5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
If you have two identical signals panned to the left and right, it works out to the same thing as having one signal panned in the middle - center panning is just having the same level on both speakers.

Now, as you say, adding different effects to each of them will start to thicken things up a bit. One thing to be aware of is that, depending on what effects you're using, you might find that the two signals start getting out of phase and cancelling each other out. If someone's listening on a bad stereo, or in a bad room, or in a mall that doesn't care about stereo, your guitars might disappear altogether.

It *can* be done, but it's rarely the best approach.
Agreed. If you're going for double-tracking, just do it. I was just asking
in terms of EVH's sound/Donn Landee's techniques whereby L dry/R reverb or harmonizer/delayed signal on later recordings - but is probably not a technique many use/desire anymore and a separate approach from double tracking.
Lowell Mather 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #125
monolith

I'm getting back into guitar and creating some music of my own. I'm using ezdrummer and amp sims for the guitar and bass. I get a pretty good guitar sound and I've learned the panning techniques pretty well. My problem is that it's difficult to get the guitar to sit in the mix well. I get a good mix between the drum kit and bass guitar but when I introduced the distorted guitar it seems either too loud or too soft. Have you guys pushed it into the mix with verb? Is this an EQ issue?

Any tips?