Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #41
Vagelis
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
I can't see an advantage by being forced to readjust item length and is not coherent.

It's "adjust section start/length" and not "adjust item length and section start/length"
Think that it’s the same thing but you do it opposite. First have to drag the edge to specify the first loop length and then drag the item length to show more of the looped sections.

In my previous comment, I ‘ve added some things about the usability and for an additional modifier.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:38 AM   #42
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Think that it’s the same thing but you do it opposite.
Imagine that with Midi Items.. Does not give any benefit IMO.
Are you interested everytime you adjust section start having to redefine the midi length?
Item length is fixed , .. only the content should change. And every other DAW example in this thread does this and even reaper with midi items.

Unless i missing something we just need 1 way of doing this:
or by modifier in item edge like is now
or by having a new modifier context for section indicators.

Also Edges modifiers is full in my case
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #43
Vagelis

After spending more time with it, I think it works great because in the end you specify the correct length.
If you change the loop length to smaller sections without changing item’s length, after you might want to change the item’s length again or split it, so depends also the situation.
Of course I don’t say no to another modifier to do what you’re saying, I mentioned also the usability, if we had both it would be the best.
And i’m sure if the devs do it, it will be with the best way
Old 12-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #44
deeb

i reallly don't agree. In my personal way of working with this (which is mainly on loops) we loose 90% of the benefit by being like this. Because every section adjustment we have to readjust manually item length.
Imagine this on several items , hundreds of times per project and is really cumbersome. Plus is not coherent.

Just my opinion!
Cheers
Old 12-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #45
Vagelis

Wouldn’t you like to have both? (Meaning the existing modifier plus another that will enable us to drag from the loop indicators to change the loop length without changing item’s length)

Because the advantage of the existing modifier is that we can adjust the start and end, while from loop indicators only the end of the loop.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:01 AM   #46
deeb

Quote:
Wouldn’t you like to have both? (Meaning the existing modifier plus another that will enable us to drag from the loop indicators to change the loop length without changing item’s length)
If it is to make same thing is redundant. Personally unless i am missing something i don't ever want to change item length.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:02 AM   #47
Vagelis

It’s not exactly the same thing, the existing modifier has advantages not possible to the modifier you are referring
That’s why keeping this one and having another would be the best.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:04 AM   #48
deeb

Quote:
It’s not exactly the same thing, the existing modifier has advantages not possible to the modifier you are referring
well ok then .. but i have no use for the modifier as is. Maybe only for single hits?
Old 12-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #49
Vagelis

If you spend some more time with it, i think you will see more and more benefits.
Try splitting a non looped item, select the portion, then drag the left edge with the modifier to specify the loop start, then drag the right edge of the item with the modifier to specify the loop end, now drag the edge of the item without the modifier to specify a new length for the looped item. Duplicate it and go to the edge of both the items and drag both of the edges with the modifier as shown in the gif.
This is possible only with this modifier

Old 12-08-2019, 10:33 AM   #50
deeb

Quote:
If you spend some more time with it, i think you will see more and more benefits.
Try splitting a non looped item, select the portion, then drag the left edge with the modifier to specify the loop start, then drag the right edge of the item with the modifier to specify the loop end, now drag the edge of the item without the modifier to specify a new length for the looped item. Duplicate it and go to the edge of both the items and drag both of the edges with the modifier as shown in the gif.
This is possible only with this modifier

i dont know. It's not my workflow and the feature i idealize. I promess i'll give it a try and hope that it's musically useful/interesting. But personally i still expect other modifier doing the same without changing item length.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:36 AM   #51
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
i dont know. It's not my workflow and the feature i idealize. I promess i'll give it a try and hope that it's musically useful/interesting. But personally i still expect other modifier doing the same without changing item length.
Yes both of them pleeease!
Old 12-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #52
deeb

ioio Vagelis! hmm I have been testing it in musical context and yeahh It's indeed awesome , specially with snapping, it comes up with a lot of welcome rythmic shifting movement! AWESOME!
Old 12-08-2019, 01:10 PM   #53
Vagelis

Awesome, enjoy!
Old 12-09-2019, 07:22 AM   #54
deeb

back to this! i was very excited yesterday and i had a placebo effect and that is the reason for my positive reaction (I really wanted to like LOL). I tried again in musical context and In practice this modifier behaviour doesn't work for me.

Devs, Could we have a version which Length is not changed? like in every example given in this threads and midi items does?