Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 10-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
hopi
Human being with feelings

Default Wouldn't it be Loverly? MCP Inspector Idea

I always have my first screenset set up like so:

Master floating in it's own window at far left
MCP docked at left of TCP and sized and set up to work as a "track inspector panel"..

Now here's the thing:

That MCP 'track inspector panel' has to be set by the user to the width of one single MCP panel... right? Fine, BUT diff themes and even diff MCP layouts within a given theme have diff widths... right?

So lets say you have some tracks with one width MCP and others with a wider or narrower MCP... Then that 'track inspector' panel really becomes a PITA since as you select a given track, it may or may not actually fit in the space [width] you have set for the 'track inspector'...

Soooo... my great 'idea' is:

How aobut if reaper could read that pixel width for each given MCP layout for each track and automatically adjust the docked MCP width to that value when a given track is selected?

You see?

Now before you tell me it can't be done, remember that used to be said about putting a man on the moon...
Old 10-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Pinknoise

I too agree with this idea ! But you know why we need it do ya ? Cause we're theme and layout slutz !
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
Now before you tell me it can't be done, remember that used to be said about putting a man on the moon...
But the flag will be unfurled and all the shadows will be wrong.

-------------
You would need the left-hand edge of the TCP to move too, I guess (I'll rephrase that - I would need ...)
Old 10-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
xpander

Quote:
Soooo... my great 'idea' is:

How aobut if reaper could read that pixel width for each given MCP layout for each track and automatically adjust the docked MCP width to that value when a given track is selected?
I have one layout like that, but have adjusted the "inspector panel" so that I always see the whole track. I also use just one theme, so it's not an issue for me.

At any rate, I believe there are still some issues left with current screenset/layout features, so this new one would in a way be a new sub-feature within not totally working bigger feature set? While I agree with the initial idea, I question the order in bigger picture of getting screensets/layouts working.

Quote:
Does it matter if they did or did not, we still can't...
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
James HE

why stop there...

I'd like a fully separated 2nd view of the mixer.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
albertxxxx

what we need is a really INSPECTOR ... to see if we are lucky to version 5 ...
Old 10-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
hopi

ok sure to everything

I'm not holding my breath on this one, but still just think how sexy it would be to have it working as I've described?

I guess you would have to move the TCP to the right also but I don't really see that when I do it with the mouse...

I just drag the line between the MCP inspector and the TCP and get the new size ... but... that size is still ONLY CORRECT for a given single MCP panel width... when that changes for another track, I have to do that again. And that is NOT sexy.

I even have custom separators for both TCP and MCP that are both wide and narrow just to deal with this issue... and a whole big deal using reaconsole and custom actions to make the correct separator show up in each screenset [narrow mcp when in a big floating mixer and wide when in the track inspector view] But that is really a PITA I'd rather not have to do.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:33 AM   #8
Snap

Quote:
remember that used to be said about putting a man on the moon...
They put a man on the moon? Really? Naaaah, are you kidding me?

"The inspector" is my way to go on laptops. You know, I much prefer a pair of big nice monitors, a big undocked MCP dressed in WT Imperial or a variation of it... well, two of them. Two different Imperial mods. That's all I normally use and need, but sometimes I have to constrain to the very small area of a laptop with a more "elastic" theme.

I totally agree, Hopi. It's very annoying having different panel layouts sizes and track inspector mode not following them.

I won't tell you it can be done, but.... Can Walter do something like that?
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
hopi

it clearly is not a WALTER problem really...

with WALTER you can specify how wide in pixels a given layout will be ... i.e., you can have an MCP panel that is 20px wide and then a diff one that is 80px wide...

but reaper does not automatically adjust the docked MCP size when used as an 'inspector' for these diff's in panel size.