Old 10-23-2019, 04:54 PM   #1
Thonex
Human being with feelings

Default Item vs Take default color behavior

Hi gurus,

I wrote a script to color regions based on the underlying item's color. Except that sometimes it didn't work even if there were no takes (just an item). It seems the status of an item's default color changes depending on how it was edited or something. So a colored item may have a color value of 0.0 which is default color or none... or something. Anyway... I wrote a silly workaround that seems to satisfy all cases... but wanted to understand why this is the way it is.

Any explanation would be nice. Any ideas?

Here is the relevant piece of code....

Code:
 local iRetval, bIsrgnOut, iPosOut, iRgnendOut, sNameOut, iMarkrgnindexnumberOut, iColorOur = reaper.EnumProjectMarkers3(0, region_idx)

if iRetval > 0 then

if reaper.GetMediaItemInfo_Value(item, "I_CUSTOMCOLOR") == 0 then
        take_color = reaper.GetMediaItemTakeInfo_Value(take, "I_CUSTOMCOLOR")
       -- Msg("take")
      else
        take_color =reaper.GetMediaItemInfo_Value(item, "I_CUSTOMCOLOR")
       -- Msg("item")
      end
Old 10-24-2019, 01:35 AM   #2
amagalma

Items get coloured according to the track colour they belong in. This colour can be overridden by the "item colour". So, you can have, for example, a yellow item in a green track. Inside items there are takes, which can have their own colour which overrides the colours of the item and the track. So, as an example, you can have a yellow item in a green track, which has one take which is red. The item appears red because its only take is red. If you delete or remove the take's custom colour then the (empty) item will appear yellow. If you remove the custom colour of the item, then the item will inherit the colour its parent track.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:16 AM   #3
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
Items get coloured according to the track colour they belong in. This colour can be overridden by the "item colour". So, you can have, for example, a yellow item in a green track. Inside items there are takes, which can have their own colour which overrides the colours of the item and the track. So, as an example, you can have a yellow item in a green track, which has one take which is red. The item appears red because its only take is red. If you delete or remove the take's custom colour then the (empty) item will appear yellow. If you remove the custom colour of the item, then the item will inherit the colour its parent track.
Thanks amagalma!!

That makes sense! But I guess that begs the questions: what constitutes a Take? Somehow there are processes that turn items into takes even though there are not any overlapping versions of the item.